PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Image Editor?

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I really need a good one to use.

Before I used Linux, I always only used Editors for very small things even MS Paint could supply. Kubuntu came preloaded with Open Office 3.0 Drawing which I previously HATE. I never did really take the time to learn GIMP although I also have that installed. Does anyone know any other good programs?

What program do you use mostly yourself?

hoppipolla
September 28th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I always use the GIMP :)

I'm not sure how good Krita is for KDE... that might be a second choice :)

chucky chuckaluck
September 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM
+1 for gimp. i think it's the only app i've used the whole time i've been using linux. i even used it before when i was still using windows.

oboedad55
September 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM

GIMP is the best, but for quick and easy edits look for fotoxx. Do a Google search for a fotoxx .deb. It's out there. I found one somewhere. Here it is: http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=fotoxx

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
...for quick and easy edits look for fotoxx.

Eh, I am pretty new with Linux, how exactly do I open .deb files?

Krita comes with KOffice, a Suite MADE FOR KDE. Though it won't supply an individual link, meaning if I want Krita I will have to install the whole suite itself, plus I don't even think KOffice works with 9.04

JillSwift
September 28th, 2009, 05:00 AM
GIMP has served me so well so far that I've never looked at any other.

So, hey, bias and all.

PaulReaver
September 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM
stuck record but...

gimp
good app

oboedad55
September 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Eh, I am pretty new with Linux, how exactly do I open .deb files?

Krita comes with KOffice, a Suite MADE FOR KDE. Though it won't supply an individual link, meaning if I want Krita I will have to install the whole suite itself, plus I don't even think KOffice works with 9.04

Just click, or double-click, depending on your setup. Just follow the prompts from there. It will ask for your password, etc.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Yes, GIMP is a highly professional program, but I just tried to use it, it took me hours to do something I could do blind-folded in under a minute in MS Paint, It just takes too long for me to learn, I will sometime.

Frak
September 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Windows and Mac?
Photoshop, no contest.

Linux?
Gimp

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Just click, or double-click, depending on your setup. Just follow the prompts from there. It will ask for your password, etc.

Oh, I just needed to find my Package Installer, which I couldn't find before.

I will probably install KOffice then get rid of all my old Open Office programs, instead of the actual Word Processor of course :)

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Edit: GAH! I double posted, can I delete it?

doorknob60
September 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Kolourpaint :D Actually, it's pretty good, I use it about half the time (the other half I use GIMP).

(freakin old screenshot, but same idea):
http://kolourpaint.sourceforge.net/screenshot0_big.png

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Oh, well I tried Fotoxx, its really not what I wanted, its just for small things like sharpening, blurring, and for doing small touch-ups to one image.

Edit:

Kolourpaint :D Actually, it's pretty good, I use it about half the time (the other half I use GIMP).

(freakin old screenshot, but same idea):
http://kolourpaint.sourceforge.net/screenshot0_big.png

Oh mai! Love at first sight, do you have a link for it? I am searching for it now, oh thank you ^^

Edit Edit:

Yeah, just found it scrolling in the Software Management. It works greatly, its definitely a big help.

renkinjutsu
September 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Oh, well I tried Fotoxx, its really not what I wanted, its just for small things like sharpening, blurring, and for doing small touch-ups to one image.

Edit:

Oh mai! Love at first sight, do you have a link for it? I am searching for it now, oh thank you ^^

link?

just copy and paste this into your terminal
sudo aptitude install kolourpaint

Frak
September 28th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Or click this gigantic link! (apt:kolourpaint)

Viva
September 28th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I love the GIMP.

quinnten83
September 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
You must be new using Ubuntu. We (generally) don't do links. Everything is usually in the repos. And if you want extra software, you usually add the repos. In some rare cases yo might use a link, like getdeb.net.

BTW you might want to try with Tuxpaint. It's children's program, but might give you what you need.

Frak
September 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
You must be new using Ubuntu. We (generally) don't do links.

What about this(these) piece(s) of software! (apt:build-essential)

Bodsda
September 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
What about this(these) piece(s) of software! (apt:build-essential)

Why are you linking to a package primarily used by people compiling from source? You should really consider telling people what your links do. As you can see in this thread there are some very new members participating and you posting apturl links does not help them learn about package management, instead they learn that some developers have way too much time on their hands to develop software that has inherent security risks due to the construction of said links being done by a human.

hessiess
September 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Gimp or Photoshop ON MAC, the window interface is Horrible.

ElSlunko
September 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Photography Workflow : Bibble / Raw Therapee
More in depth Editing (Which I usually never get to) : GIMP.

Can't afford PS, and really Surface Blur would be the only reason to pay for it. But it'll be a cold day in Hell before I spend that amount of money for 1 stinking filter.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
You must be new using Ubuntu. We (generally) don't do links. Everything is usually in the repos. And if you want extra software, you usually add the repos. In some rare cases yo might use a link, like getdeb.net.

BTW you might want to try with Tuxpaint. It's children's program, but might give you what you need.

Yeah, I just started learning more about the repositories, its just half the programs I have installed so far have been in repos, and the other half were just .deb downloads. So I was really asking which one I could find it in, and I did in fact manage to find Kolour in the repos.

Edit: Uhh, Tux Paint is when you want to make some cute drawings, I used to be an Adobe Flash artist myself :B

sertse
September 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM
mtpaint , gnupaint (gpaint).

gnupaint is most like the MS Paint super basic painter software. mtpaint is probably the best "bang for buck" paint imo, depends only on gtk pretty much, itself has a tinyest install size yet has quite a few features.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yeahh.. I did use to have a copy of PhotoShop Creative Suite 4 Professional, but it wasn't a really reliable (or legal) place (http://mininova.org)

gn2
September 28th, 2009, 09:52 AM
My very modest needs are met by Digikam, but it's definitely not a solution for everything.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
My very modest needs are met by Digikam, but it's definitely not a solution for everything.

I think Kolour has definately become my program of choice now.

But oh my god, I just had to mention.... your avatar... Meddle :eek:

hockeytux
September 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
+1 for GIMP

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes yes, I understand GIMP and Linux go hand-in-hand. Kolour is just much more basic, and the only reason I ever wanted Gimp or Photoshop was for the transparency/deleting pixels, which Kolour uses, it may even be my program of choice if I ever get a computer with Windows now x_x

koshatnik
September 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
GIMP is great but it can only handle 8 bit images. Has this changed? I've not used it in years.

For more serious work, try LightZone. It has a native linux client, and is as good as photoshop or lightroom for image adjustments. In some respects its alot better. Its pay for software, but worth it.

Chame_Wizard
September 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
The Gimp and Inkscape.:guitar:

Dragonbite
September 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
On Linux, I usually use Gimp if I am in Gnome and Krita if I am in KDE. I like Krita's interface, pretty simple.

In Windows I use Photoshop (at home), Gimp or Paint.NET. Paint.NET is pretty good with a simple interface but a number of cool features.

Groucho Marxist
September 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I really need a good one to use.

Before I used Linux, I always only used Editors for very small things even MS Paint could supply. Kubuntu came preloaded with Open Office 3.0 Drawing which I previously HATE. I never did really take the time to learn GIMP although I also have that installed. Does anyone know any other good programs?

What program do you use mostly yourself?

For professional work: Adobe Photoshop CS4
"Just for fun" : GIMP

Frak
September 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Why are you linking to a package primarily used by people compiling from source? You should really consider telling people what your links do. As you can see in this thread there are some very new members participating and you posting apturl links does not help them learn about package management, instead they learn that some developers have way too much time on their hands to develop software that has inherent security risks due to the construction of said links being done by a human.
Apturl is a way for users not to have to learn package management. Attitudes like yours are what is keeping Linux in the stone-ages in terms of popularity. People don't want to know how their computer works. They just want to hit a link, hit next, next, next, and be done with it.

Anybody who disagrees with me clearly hasn't observed user-behavior.

I chose build-essential because it's a package that doesn't clutter menus, and add extra bulk. Besides that, the user will never knew it was installed. I was clearly just posting a link to show that Ubuntu does indeed support links to install programs. Sorry that I foiled your attempt at making me look like a troll.

Bodsda
September 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Apturl is a way for users not to have to learn package management. Attitudes like yours are what is keeping Linux in the stone-ages in terms of popularity. People don't want to know how their computer works. They just want to hit a link, hit next, next, next, and be done with it.

Anybody who disagrees with me clearly hasn't observed user-behavior.

I chose build-essential because it's a package that doesn't clutter menus, and add extra bulk. Besides that, the user will never knew it was installed. I was clearly just posting a link to show that Ubuntu does indeed support links to install programs. Sorry that I foiled your attempt at making me look like a troll.

As soon as people stop looking at what they are doing and start acting like "hit next, next, next, and be done with it." then people start getting malicious.

But your right of course, lets not trouble the user, instead lets install a package they don't need, don't want, and will take up there disk space. This makes less sense then going to dodgy website while on windows... At least those users have taken an inch of caution and installed an anti-virus program... Firefox should ship with an apturl blocker to stop single minded people from installing random packages on people computers

Oh, and an attitude about security and caution is far better then one of absolute lack of care

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I use GIMP. I even prefer it over Photoshop. Mind you I been using it(GIMP) for many years and it took a while to click for me.

But now I can do things in GIMP that I dont have a clue how to do in PS. Still only downfall to GIMP is its not CYMK. Its still RGB color which seems to be the biggest complaint from Photographers. This is something they DO need to implement.

jaxxstorm
September 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I used Paint .NET on windows for a while, then moved to GIMP.

However, I'm now using paint.mono (http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/09/paintnet-for-linux-paintmono.html), and it great!

Dragonbite
September 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I used Paint .NET on windows for a while, then moved to GIMP.

However, I'm now using paint.mono (http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/09/paintnet-for-linux-paintmono.html), and it great!

Oh, Kool! Thanks for the Link!

I've prefered Paint.NET for a while and I know they've been trying to port it to Linux but it wasn't very successful according to what I read. Meaning it worked, but not fully.

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
As soon as people stop looking at what they are doing and start acting like "hit next, next, next, and be done with it." then people start getting malicious.

But your right of course, lets not trouble the user, instead lets install a package they don't need, don't want, and will take up there disk space. This makes less sense then going to dodgy website while on windows... At least those users have taken an inch of caution and installed an anti-virus program... Firefox should ship with an apturl blocker to stop single minded people from installing random packages on people computers

Oh, and an attitude about security and caution is far better then one of absolute lack of care
You don't understand the point of Ubuntu

IG, IG, IG, IG, IGNORED!

Also, this thinking is not only incorrect (I added a megabyte or two to the size of the system, somebody call the waaaaaaaaambulance) but the best part is, you're saying that we should stay using a very old method of doing things. Ubuntu is working hard to distract from the terminal as much as they can. They realize that it is not a user-friendly object for the casual user. People like you keep it in the past.