PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to see installed tool like aircrack-ng=nmap=netcat=and all others in ubuntu9.04

ramazani
September 28th, 2009, 01:29 AM
hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me when installing any tool like aricrack=nmap=netcat= and all others using apt-get install, how to see them where they been installed any command line show them in a shell
thank you

stlsaint
September 28th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Locate <filename>

ramazani
September 28th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Locate <filename>

i don't understand i tried few thing like locate and name of file but no chance
command not found

lswb
September 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Also "type name" or "which name" will work. The "type" command will also tell if "name" is a file, shell builtin, shell function, or alias.

lswb
September 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
i don't understand i tried few thing like locate and name of file but no chance
command not found

The locate command depends on a database that is run periodically by a cron job. If you have just installed the program, "locate" will not be able to find it until its database is updated.

The "which" command OTOH works by searching the directories in your path for the filename. The "type" command does the same, but checks for shell builtins, functions, and aliases of the same name first.

"locate filename" by default will return anything that has "filename" in it, so the output is often quite lengthy, including libraries, config files, etc, that have a match for "filename" anywhere within them. "type" and "which" only look for the specific executable command that is used.