PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] customizing the instalation

blackmail
September 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Ok, i saw a vid on some linux distros on which you compile the kernel, and here is my question:
Is there a way to hard-core customize ubuntu before the installation?
What I mean is that is there a way in terminal or somehow else to customize as much as possible the installation, meaning what packages go on it, and to make it install olny things specific for my system, and leave out the rest that I don't need.
If you could point me in the right direction i would really appceriate it. My main goal is to strip ubuntu down as much as possible.

Tamalin
September 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Is this along the lines of what you were looking for? It's not extremely hard core, but provides the ability to add and remove packages.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

blackmail
September 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Yes thanks a lot, actually as i can see there are some kernel modifications also, nothing hard-core, so what i was wondering was if i could change the default kernel in ubuntu to the linux kernel.
Meaning when i rebuild the live cd i want to have the linux kernel, not the one provided with ubuntu. It is just a whish of mine, but i was thinking, as a work around for this, to recompile my kernel of the installed system and after that to do an image of my system.
But the link provided was very helpful.

Tamalin
September 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
You are Welcome.

blackmail
September 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
ok reading through the articles, i just had a revelation. Could someon give me a document where the ubuntu structure is actually explaned, and after that i think by extracting the live cd image i coul do the changes i whant.but that is only my opinion. any suggestions are welcome...