PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make Windows key open Terminal?

wotnartd
September 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hey folks, I've been using Ubuntu for a few months and am trying to figure out how to get the Windows key to open terminal, like a shortcut key, I guess. Anybody have any ideas on how to make this work? I'm still pretty much an ubuntu newbie, and any guidance would be very helpful. Thanks.

wojox
September 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Sure that's what I use it for as well. Just open System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll down to Run a terminal Double click it and press the windows key.

wotnartd
September 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Sure that's what I use it for as well. Just open System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll down to Run a terminal Double click it and press the windows key.

Thank you so much, wojox. I guess I was looking so hard I didn't see what was right there in front of my face. I appreciate this very much.

Simeo
January 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I still can't assign windows key to open a terminal... my key does nothing.

TechWiz2100
January 6th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I still can't assign windows key to open a terminal... my key does nothing.

Windows key is a special mod or "Super" key ergo it cannot be used alone it must be assigned with another key such as Win+T or in linux speak <Super> + T

=P

likwidoxigen
February 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I hate not to see this "Solved:"

All you have to do is put in Super_L instead of <Super>T or whatever you had in there. After you remove the < and > it's no longer a modifier and just a regular old key, you just need to specify l or r for which "super" key you're interested in.

Enjoy!

Krytarik
February 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I hate not to see this "Solved:"

All you have to do is put in Super_L instead of <Super>T or whatever you had in there. After you remove the < and > it's no longer a modifier and just a regular old key, you just need to specify l or r for which "super" key you're interested in.

Enjoy!
Ok, it finally works with "Super_L".8-) But you have to enter it manually into Gconf:
- press Alt+F2
- enter "gconf-editor"
- browse to "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_terminal"
- set the key(s) you want

Copper Bezel
February 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I've had weird luck with setting these commands. I have Alt+F2 bound to xfrun4, since I'm not using a Gnome panel, and sometimes it would just not take the command. Set it to Super+F2 and I haven't had any problems. Likewise XKill, which I had set to Super+X until, in one particular session, the keystroke wasn't being recognized and I changed it to Super+Q, which works consistently.

I'd actually set these both in Compiz and in Keyboard Shortcuts (which are ignored in case of a conflict, right?) the first time.

Krytarik
February 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'd actually set these both in Compiz and in Keyboard Shortcuts (which are ignored in case of a conflict, right?) the first time.
I just yet tested it. If there are conflicting shortcut settings, those set in Compiz precedes those set in Keyboard Shortcuts.