PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux -> ubuntu -> version 9.04 -> installation -> amd athlon based system -> failure

K. Sayeed
September 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
1. Several attempts to install Ubuntu Linux 9.05, 32 bit version, on the second hard drive of the computer system have failed at various stages of the installation process. The system just hangs up.

2. Ubuntu Linux 7.10 is already installed on the first hard drive of this system and it has been running well for quite some time.

3. Information on the main components of the system is attached herewith. The details of the attachment are as follows::

3.1. System003, System Monitor, Screenshot, 2009 09 25.png.

4. Information on reasons for the installation failure and possible solutions will be much appreciated.

K. Sayeed

earthpigg
September 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
have you tried the alternate installer?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

K. Sayeed
September 28th, 2009, 04:51 AM
1. Thank you very much for your response..

2. The alternate installer has not been tried as yet. I will download it and try it out as soon as possible.

K. Sayeed

K. Sayeed
October 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I made more than one attempt to install Ubuntu 9.04 using the alternate installer as suggested by Earthpigg. The details are as follows:

1. ATTEMPT NO. 1:

The alternate installer stalled at the following point:

"Detecting hardware, please wait.........". Percentage complete was 0 %.

It did not go beyond this after 6 hours which I felt was more than enough time for detecting hardware. The installation was therefore aborted.

2. ATTEMPT NO. 2:

The alternate installer progressed up to the following point:

"Select & install software, Retrieving file 133 0f 861, 6 %" and did not proceed any further for over 1 hour. The installation was aborted at this point.

It might be of use to know that the using the graphical installer on the same CD, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on two Intel based machines without the installation process stalling at any point.

Any suggestions are welcome.

K. Sayeed