PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 Installation Problems

FiestaDave
September 27th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evening all,

This is my first time trying out linux, after getting an external hdd i thought i'd attempt running a different os and was pointed to ubuntu as a good dist to start with.

Im encountering problems installing off a cd. I get to the ubunto screen with the scrolling loader and after that I recieve this error:

"8254 TIMER NOT CONNECTED IO-APIC"

It loads a few seconds later to say:

"VIDEO CANNOT BE DISPLAYED IN THIS MODE"

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention im running Dell Dimension 1G RAM, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, trying to install on my 500GB external hdd.

presence1960
September 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evening all,

This is my first time trying out linux, after getting an external hdd i thought i'd attempt running a different os and was pointed to ubuntu as a good dist to start with.

Im encountering problems installing off a cd. I get to the ubunto screen with the scrolling loader and after that I recieve this error:

"8254 TIMER NOT CONNECTED IO-APIC"

It loads a few seconds later to say:

"VIDEO CANNOT BE DISPLAYED IN THIS MODE"

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention im running Dell Dimension 1G RAM, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, trying to install on my 500GB external hdd.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

you want to look at the sections for F4 and F6 to see what you are going to do.

When you boot hit F6 and select noapic. Also see if it will let you choose safe graphics mode under F4. Then continue with the install.