PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MEPIS may be going Ubuntu

manicka
February 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/09/159207

Brunellus
February 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
interesting...considering how many former MEPIS users have ended up here.

aysiu
February 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm a former Mepis user myself. I may go back to triple-booting again (XP, Ubuntu, Mepis) if this actually comes to fruition.

The part that interested me about the article the most was this part:
MEPIS is frequently criticized by some in the Linux community over the licensing of its scripts and installer. Woodford said that he has committed to releasing the installer under the GPL by the time for the next version, and that "it's news to me that the scripts were not GPLed already. I don't consider any scripts to be proprietary." He said he would make an effort to make sure that any scripts without a clear licensing statement would be modified to include one by the next release as well. If that's really the case, maybe Ubuntu could actually use some of his stuff. He provides graphical tools for a lot of stuff isn't point-and-click in Ubuntu right now--installation, reinstallation of Grub to the MBR, partitioning (well, it uses QTParted, to be fair).

mstlyevil
February 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
From what I read it would be great for Mephis, Ubuntu and Debian. The goals of the DCCA will be met without some overbearing organization calling the shots. Mark Shuttleworth and the devlopers should be proud of their accomplishments with Ubuntu.

tseliot
February 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I'm a former Mepis user myself. I may go back to triple-booting again (XP, Ubuntu, Mepis) if this actually comes to fruition.

The part that interested me about the article the most was this part: If that's really the case, maybe Ubuntu could actually use some of his stuff. He provides graphical tools for a lot of stuff isn't point-and-click in Ubuntu right now--installation, reinstallation of Grub to the MBR, partitioning (well, it uses QTParted, to be fair).
I think that would be GREAT (Both for Mepis and Ubuntu).

However (for precision's sake) AFAIK Ubuntu will have its own Live cd installer (the developers are already working on it).

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Stand Proud Ubuntu Developers. Stand up and smile behind those double keyboard desks and take a deep breath and know you acomplished something great that everyone is flocking to copy. Ubuntu Develops, you will are pioners of Linux. Don't gloat too much though, Yall best get Dapper ready to go.

Qrk
February 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Good news... Mepis is a great distro, and by basing itself on Ubuntu hopefully it will get more up to date packages than the Debian ones its been using.

xequence
February 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
It would benefit everyone if they did this.

Mepis is nice and it worked sort of for me, just I didnt like its version of GRUB, and it only gave me 800*600 resolution.

manicka
February 10th, 2006, 06:02 AM
They could call it Ubuntu ME.... lol

atoponce
February 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM

lol..

However, if they did, then it would work less than expected, have a lot of issues with drivers, crash constantly, provide nothing but headache, and finally the parent company would offer full refunds to customers while also providing them with an earlier stable release.

:)

byen
February 10th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I think this is great! Looks like Mark S's effort is slowly starting to gain popularity. They should be so proud. And according to the post..even the guys at the Mepis forums seem to like the idea...so here is to the Ubuntu Guys! SALUT!

EDIT:
hey manicka.. looks like you forgot your glasses ;-)

manicka
February 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
hey manicka.. looks like you forgot your glasses ;-)

I can't find the damn things anywhere ;)

benplaut
February 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
yeah... read it this morning

it would be great if kubutuntu was abolished and replaced by mepis, which is, IMO, very polished.

Great news, in any case!

byen
February 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM
it would be great if kubutuntu was abolished and replaced by mepis, which is, IMO, very polished.
and then

LOL.... come to think of it...that would be funny!

TrailerTrash
February 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Mepis new logo..LOL...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/wam9468/kepis.gif

Brunellus
February 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM
that looks like a targetting reticle.

imagine
February 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Mh... when will Debian going Ubuntu?

briancurtin
February 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Mh... when will Debian going Ubuntu?
probably never

debian is the base of ubuntu

Gnobody
February 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
This is a good, Sid and Sarge are not stable or bleeding-edge enough to base a desktop distribution off of. This will also increase the Ubuntu community, and more so the Kubuntu community.