PDA

View Full Version : Android-Ubuntu Hybrid

HappinessNow
September 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
As the first wave of anger disappeared I now start to see this as a Oppurtunity to give android a Real Push ...

Imagine what could be done if there would now come a rom which makes heavy use of the underlying system by for example including a standard debian/whateva CLI only install with a good filled repo + an own android market ! Would be really awesome and Android phones would become Real linux phones !

Perhaps a Android-Ubuntu Hybrid is the wave of the future. Then we could utilize the Ubuntu Application Store Center Thingy (or whatever it's called?).

It would require a rewrite of many of the programs. The android doesn't use traditional X + GTK/QT.

Perhaps Ubuntu can capture upon the tail of the tiger and lead the way for Linux on SmartPhones?

Buy a HTC and replace the Android with Sense UI with the new Android-Ubuntu Hybrid?

HappinessNow
September 28th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Of course if there is no interest then it won't happen.

AllRadioisDead
September 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm not interested.
Interest - 0

HappinessNow
September 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I'm not interested.
Interest - 0

:lolflag:...then we'll have to stick with a pure Google Android :P

Starlight
September 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I don't really think it's a good idea... a phone is used in a very different way than a desktop computer, so even if there was a way to run Ubuntu and its applications on an Android phone, it wouldn't be very usable, since desktop Linux apps aren't meant to be used on small touch screens. Instead of making an Ubuntu - Android hybrid, I think it would make more sense just to port some of the best open source apps to Android, and at the same time adapt their UI so that they could be easily used on a small touch screen instead of a desktop computer.

HappinessNow
September 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I don't really think it's a good idea... a phone is used in a very different way than a desktop computer, so even if there was a way to run Ubuntu and its applications on an Android phone, it wouldn't be very usable, since desktop Linux apps aren't meant to be used on small touch screens. Instead of making an Ubuntu - Android hybrid, I think it would make more sense just to port some of the best open source apps to Android, and at the same time adapt their UI so that they could be easily used on a small touch screen instead of a desktop computer.
I don't think you understand the concept, but that's Okay. :P

schauerlich
September 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I don't think you understand the concept, but that's Okay. :P

Well, what is the concept, then? To run Ubuntu on a cell phone?

The essence of a Linux distribution is that it's a collection of individual, independently developed software packages that are put together and distributed. Now, what makes Ubuntu, Ubuntu? A certain set of packages, with certain things preconfigured, patches here and there, and a couple programs written just for it. In order for an OS to scale down to the current level of cell phone computing power, you'd have to strip down Ubuntu beyond recognition - it would no longer be Ubuntu, it would just be the linux kernel and whatever made the cut. And even then, you'd have no software to interface with the phone-specific hardware, although that's where Android would fill in the gaps.

The point of that paragraph is this: In order to put Ubuntu on a phone, you'd basically have to make it not be Ubuntu anymore.

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Maemo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo) is already based on Debian.

for an entirely new form-factors, imo, it is best to stick to one of the Big Three Linux Distributions (Red Hat, Slackware (including Novell's SuSE), or Debian) as base, and branch from there down the road.

grndslm
October 5th, 2009, 03:30 AM
for an entirely new form-factors, imo, it is best to stick to one of the Big Three Linux Distributions (Red Hat, Slackware (including Novell's SuSE), or Debian) as base, and branch from there down the road.Why exactly are you relating SuSE to Slackware? Old-Skool SuSE was forked from Red Hat, no? But that was many, many, MANY moons ago!

schauerlich
October 5th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Why exactly are you relating SuSE to Slackware? Old-Skool SuSE was forked from Red Hat, no? But that was many, many, MANY moons ago!

SuSE was originally a German translation of Slackware. SuSE has since incorporated a lot of Red Hat-ish stuff like RPM.