PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install icon theme?

jahgamer189x
September 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
How do I install an icon theme? I have downloaded one from gnome look (Vista Inspirate) and do not know how to install it. I have followed the tutorials on here already but no help.:confused:

Z06Gal
September 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Extract the file to your desktop then open up your appearance settings [I just right click anywhere on the desktop and click on change desktop background]. Click on theme setting and then draq and drop the file there. It should then tell you the file was added or it will ask you if you want to apply the theme. :)

mcduck
September 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Extract the file to your desktop then open up your appearance settings [I just right click anywhere on the desktop and click on change desktop background]. Click on theme setting and then draq and drop the file there. It should then tell you the file was added or it will ask you if you want to apply the theme. :)

Actually the theme archives are not supposed to be extracted. :)

Just go to System/Preferences/Appearance, and drop the theme archive to the Theme-tab. Then click "Customize" and you'll be able to select your icon theme for use in the Icons-tab.

This approach works form GTK2 and Metacity themes, icons and mouse cursors.

In case you get an archive that refuses to unstall this way you can extract it's contents manually, GTK2 and Metacity themes into ~/.themes and icons & mouse cursors into ~/.icons.

GDM themes are installed & selected in System/Preferences/Login Window.

Z06Gal
September 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I extract icons and have had no issues. It installs fine. If I want to download a theme, then I do not extract the file. Sorry if I wasn't clear there.

jahgamer189x
September 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
It still doesn't work.:(

mcduck
September 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
It still doesn't work.:(

In that case you'll have to elaborate a bit about what exact steps you have taken to download and install the icon theme, and a link to the theme you are trying to install.

arnab_das
September 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM
this is what i do:

right click on the empty space in the desktop, click "Change Desktop background", then click on the "theme" tab, then click on the "install" option and simple locate the file. and thats it.

this process has flawlessly worked for me so far and i have tested many themes. no extracting nothing. doesnt matter if its an icon theme or a complete theme or anything. same process great results. (at least has worked for me)

jahgamer189x
September 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Vista-Inspirate?content=28352
I download it to my desktop. Then I right clicked on the desktop and pressed change desktop background. Then I click the theme tab and drag the download file onto the window. It asks me if I want to apply the theme now. I press apply the theme but the icons don't change. I have tried with a mac icon theme and that worked fine. I just can't get this one to work. The theme appears in the menu when you press customise and go to the icons tab. But still it doesn't work.

mcduck
September 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Based on the comments on that theme it's no longer working and is currently unmaintained. The icon naming scheme has changed over time and that theme was last updated in 2005.

It looks like you'll have to find some other theme to use (or learn how to create icon themes and make a new one using those icons).

jahgamer189x
September 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Oh, I should've looked more carefully. DUH!
Anyway, thanks for all of your help, it's very much appreciated!:)