PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What filesystem type should I make the partition to install Ubuntu on?

AmiableAdder
September 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Well, I'm somewhat bored of Windows since I have been using it the past 13 years, so I decided to dual-boot with Vista 64 as my primary and Ubuntu 9.04 as my other.

I already have the iso mounted to a disk, I've already done the thing that lets you try Ubuntu without actually having to install it, and I decided I want to install it. It only took me about an hour to figure out how to do all that, but it literally took me all day to find a free partition manager that will run on a 64-bit system (and even still it's a trial version, but it works and I only need it for a day or two).

I know how to use the manager, but I'm not sure what filesystem type (or Partition Type as Paragon's partition manager calls it) to make for the new partition.

The options are: Not Formatted, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, Linux Swap2, and Apple HFS.

I'm assuming that I won't be using the Apple one, but I don't really know what the others mean (I've never done partitioning before) and I want to be completely sure because I don't want to mess up my current stuff.

I would use the partition manager in Ubuntu, BUT I don't have a partition that I can install Ubuntu to, and when I use the disk and try to make one during Ubuntu setup there is no option to create or split a partition.

kranny
September 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Format the partition you wish to install ubuntu on as ext3

wojox
September 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
+1 Ext3

AmiableAdder
September 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Awesome. Thank you guys for the quick replies :D