PDA

View Full Version : Is Grunge Dead?

HappinessNow
September 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Looking at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grunge_music_albums

Nothing really new in years, what happened to Grunge?

Did it die with Kurt Cobain? is Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains keeping it alive?

Is there No New Grunge? what has replaced Grunge today? Seether? Breaking Benjamin? or others? or is Grunge Dead?

purgatori
September 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
After listening to Backspacer, and the almost-as-dull album before that, I for one do not believe that anything Pearl Jam are doing is "keeping grunge alive." The Melvins, on the other hand... well, I suppose they wander all across the musical landscape and are unyieldingly experimental, and that is as it should be, but the grungy sludgey waves of guitar still permeate their sound. Musical genres never really "die" anyhow, but if the measure of how vital a given genre is how much innovation still takes place within it, then the Melvins are one of the few bands remaning in the genre that are keeping the pulse going :)

speedwell68
September 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
There was never any such thing as grunge.

wojox
September 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
i like Mudhoney, that's about as grungy as I get these days.

koshatnik
September 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Looking at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grunge_music_albums

Nothing really new in years, what happened to Grunge?

Did it die with Kurt Cobain? is Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains keeping it alive?

Is there No New Grunge? what has replaced Grunge today? Seether? Breaking Benjamin? or others? or is Grunge Dead?

Hahah, Pearl Jam are to grunge what Celine Dion is to death metal. They just happened to be around in the same city at the same time as that scene kicked off.

Grunge was dead by 1991. Mudhoney were the only proper grunge band. Nirvana were just angst metal, as were all their copycat followers. Once you've bought Superfuzz Bigmuff, you have all you need grunge wise. Nothing else came close to it.

Bit like Lord of the Rings really. Once you've read that, all other elves and dwarves fantasy reads like it was written by a wannabee's desperate to replicate Tolkien.

purgatori
September 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hahah, Pearl Jam are to grunge what Celine Dion is to death metal. They just happened to be around in the same city at the same time as that scene kicked off.

Grunge was dead by 1991. Mudhoney were the only proper grunge band. Nirvana were just angst metal, as were all their copycat followers. Once you've bought Superfuzz Bigmuff, you have all you need grunge wise. Nothing else came close to it.

Bit like Lord of the Rings really. Once you've read that, all other elves and dwarves fantasy reads like it was written by a wannabee's desperate to replicate Tolkien.

If grunge, as a musical form, was exclusively limited to the sound of one band, then it is probably a good thing that it "died."

Also, Lord of the Rings isn't a particularly well-written piece of fiction. It reads quite poorly compared to any of Milton, Shakespeare, or Virgil's work (to name just a few); so holding him up as the gold standard against which all other fantasy/fiction writers fall short is every bit as absurd as holding up, the admittedly quite good but not briliant, Mudhoney in the same way.

ninjapirate89
September 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
In other news, Alice In Chains has a new cd coming out soon. Not sure how true it will be to the old stuff though.

wojox
September 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
In other news, Alice In Chains has a new cd coming out soon. Not sure how true it will be to the old stuff though.

Who's the new lead singer now? Did Jerry take over?

bubba_169
September 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Im happy with Seether and Breaking Benjamin :D

Seether were my favourite band for ages after I saw them live with evenescence

AmiableAdder
September 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Who's the new lead singer now? Did Jerry take over?

I think Duvall still sings. The music kind of over-powers the singing so it's hard to tell.

Link to a new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBEXTuUca0

It sounds too metally now. Sorta like Creed (I'm not saying Creed is bad, but they just don't sound like it used to).

RATM_Owns
September 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Melvins is kinda grunge, and they're awesome.

They're mostly sludge metal, though.

ericmc783
September 30th, 2009, 11:57 PM
In other news, Alice In Chains has a new cd coming out soon.

Its out now.

A few weeks ago, i heard a single from the album on the radio. I could tell after about 5 seconds that it was AIC. I actually thought it was probably an old song of theirs that I either forgot about, or haven't heard before (because at that moment I wasn't aware that they had a new album coming out).

But yes, if this single is any indication, its the same ole stuff.

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I thought grunge died in the 90s.

nmccrina
October 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
My friend, grunge died in like 1994.

Jesus_Valdez
October 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
New Pearl Jam CD?

That counts as new grunge cd, no?

On the other hand, grunge died in like April, 94.

ynnhoj
October 1st, 2009, 03:05 AM
They're mostly sludge metal, though.
..sludge metal? i wish the music world didn't have so many ridiculous sub-genre names.

drawkcab
October 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
There is a good documentary about how "grunge" was manufactured and subsequently marketed to death. It had already appeared by 1996.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/43/239443.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116589/

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
..sludge metal? i wish the music world didn't have so many ridiculous sub-genre names.

^this

hanzomon4
October 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Musical styles don't die... they get eaten. Oh that note I'm sure it's still alive but Grunge was more a look and mentality of a few musicians in the 80s/90s imo. Sure it had a sound but when I think of Grunge era a lot of bands come to mind who were not grunge.

HappinessNow
October 1st, 2009, 05:53 AM
Is Grunge Dead?
Grunge Is Dead.