PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck at grub prompt

xxhopingtearsxx
September 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I'm not really new to Ubuntu seeing how I've been using it for some time, but all I do is chat and watch videos, so I'm still pretty much a newbie, so please try to be as simple as possible.

I was installing Ubuntu 8.04 on Ubuntu (I deleted Ubuntu 9.04 because of some wifi problems and wanted to see if 8.04 would help).. I tried installing it on wubi. It wouldn't show up in Windows Boot Manager. I went to EasyBCD and added Ubuntu manually, and I get stuck a a black and white MS-Dos like screen that says "Grub". I really don't know what to do.

I tried it with 9.04, too, and it did the same thing. I can't boot from the CD because when I do, I get some green lines as if I was playing a broken cartridge on an old school Nintendo. It did that with other successful installs I've had, so I don't think that's really an issue. Please help. I really want to use Ubuntu again and not be stuck on Windows.

kranny
September 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Did you try the Alternate Cd...
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

renkinjutsu
September 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
at grub, try entering these commands
(ignore everything with a # when you're typing your commands)

find /boot/grub/stage1

#Then, it should give you something looking like (hd0,3) or whatever
#then take that value and enter

root (hd0,3) #or whatever it was

chainloader +1

#and lastly...

boot

This is not a fix, it's just so you can boot up into Ubuntu (hopefully) so you can be more at ease while looking for help.

kranny
September 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
at grub, try entering these commands
(ignore everything with a # when you're typing your commands)

find /boot/grub/stage1

#Then, it should give you something looking like (hd0,3) or whatever
#then take that value and enter

root (hd0,3) #or whatever it was

chainloader +1

#and lastly...

boot

This is not a fix, it's just so you can boot up into Ubuntu (hopefully) so you can be more at ease while looking for help.

He said he couldnt get to the shell..

xxhopingtearsxx
September 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
When I type those codes, it takes me back to the Windows Boot Manager.

xxhopingtearsxx
September 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
bump.

xxhopingtearsxx
September 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Bump. |: Ugh, my thread keeps going down to the next page and I really need help.