PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell E773C monitor and 800x600 resolution

Feyd-Rautha
September 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I am really new to the Linux world. I have done some looking around about the issue where my resolution maximum on my first install of Ubuntu 9.04 is 800x600. Here is what monitor I have, this is copied from the System Profiler in Mac OS X.

DELL E773c:
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

This has the ATI 128 bit card installed. In Mac OS X the maximum resolution (if memory is correct) is 1024x768 that has worked in Mac OS X. I was reading around through these forums and Gbase and was getting a little confused on the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !:KS

CatKiller
September 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Normally, resolution problems are caused by one of the monitor, the graphics card, or the graphics driver not passing the EDID information to X that lets it automatically set the correct refresh rate, and so it defaults to really low values that won't damage any monitors. You can manually set the values for your monitor by putting the VertRefresh and HorizSync ranges in your xorg.conf. You should be able to get these numbers from the manual or specifications for your monitor. These values go in the "Monitor" Section of xorg.conf.

You can edit xorg.conf with
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync aa-bb
VertRefresh cc-dd
EndSection
You'll need to replace aa-dd with the values for your monitor.

According to this page (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/e773c/EN/ug/about.htm#Specifications), the values you want are

HorizSync 30-70
VertRefresh 50-160

Feyd-Rautha
September 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for the information and the help. I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out. As I play around with Ubuntu a bit here I think I may be becoming a believer

Feyd-Rautha
September 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM
It worked wonderfully Thanks for all your help. Much cred to you

CatKiller
September 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Much cred to you

It's not just me. Everything I know so far comes from this forum and poking around. I'm sure you'll be helping out here in time.

Welcome to the community.

marcusgoad
April 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you very much this fix also allowd me to use nvidia drivers hassle free.

Marcus