PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 House Party

SniperSlap
September 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Greetings everyone!

I've been using Linux since it's early days and am a huge Linux, FOSS and Ubuntu advocate in my community, work and social circles.

Although I have complete faith and familiarity with Ubuntu, I decided to host a Windows 7 launch party (http://www.launchparty.com). Part of my theme for it is going to be to compare it to Ubuntu both in terms of technical performance and also ease of use.

Anyone else planning on doing the same? I am gushing with thoughts, suggestions, angles and predictions.

May as well start this up here so that anyone doing the same can get the facts straight. There's a lot of marketing going into W7 and we've already seen some pretty dishonest or evasive claims from Microsoft.

SniperSlap
September 27th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Although I'm breaking etiquette replying to my own post, I figured I'd set the premise separately to my thoughts...

Ubuntu will definitely outperform Windows 7
Windows 7 will still appeal to people visually.
Vendor lock-in will still dictate comfortability.
Devices like GPSes, Zunes, iPods, digital cameras and video cameras are better supported by their manufacturers on Windows.
Web technologies, marketing and the popularity of the Windows platform will still prove difficult to overcome.

More later.

Sealbhach
September 27th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Although I'm breaking etiquette replying to my own post..

There's an etiquette about that? I didn't get that memo.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting twist on what MS intended. Are you going to install both OS'es on the night? To compare the out-of-the-box experience?

mikewhatever
September 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Check out a previous thread about it.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1275010&page=4

koshatnik
September 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I am gushing with thoughts, suggestions, angles and predictions.

I'm concerned by this, quite frankly. I only ever gush because of women.

Also, I think a launch party for an OS is simply too geeky for me, and I take camera lenses apart for fun.

ctrlmd
September 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Greetings everyone!

I've been using Linux since it's early days and am a huge Linux, FOSS and Ubuntu advocate in my community, work and social circles.

Although I have complete faith and familiarity with Ubuntu, I decided to host a Windows 7 launch party (http://www.launchparty.com). Part of my theme for it is going to be to compare it to Ubuntu both in terms of technical performance and also ease of use.

Anyone else planning on doing the same? I am gushing with thoughts, suggestions, angles and predictions.

May as well start this up here so that anyone doing the same can get the facts straight. There's a lot of marketing going into W7 and we've already seen some pretty dishonest or evasive claims from Microsoft.

what is the point of having a windows 7 party and you are going to talk ubuntu technical stuff :confused:
thats not what i call party :lolflag:
even if the party will be about technical windows 7 stuff i'll be the first one who leave :lolflag:

SniperSlap
September 28th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I think some of the responses here fail to ascertain the opportunity.

It's not rhetorical to think that disregarding Windows could eventually become a liability. The same could be said of MS supporters who totally disregard Linux and in some cases, do it based on information over five years old!

In short, the spirit of competition can hone Ubuntu, but only if we apply it.

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to put their new operating system out there.

Straight and literal honesty is a powerful persuader - Ubuntu has nothing to hide!

Exhibiting Windows' strengths (it does have them!) and weaknesses (it has lots of those too!) at this party is certainly not out of the question.
At the very least I get a chance to show Windows 7 off and then tell everyone before they leave:

"By the way, this will cost you over two hundred dollars..."

Dimitriid
September 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Not enough of an upgrade for me to format my hdd again. Everyone rains down on vista but I guess my system has basically enough resources to chew it up and spit it out without breaking a sweat.

Greg
September 28th, 2009, 04:22 AM

So, if, hypothetically speaking, someone sliced your arm off...

blackened
September 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
So, if, hypothetically speaking, someone sliced your arm off...

...it would severely effect his golf game and double his glove-buying budget?

sideaway
September 28th, 2009, 06:19 AM
...it would severely effect his golf game and double his glove-buying budget?

Haha, that actually made me laugh out loud, :) +1 my friend!

murderslastcrow
September 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I've tested Windows 7 extensively on my parents' home PC (they need the iTunes for their iPod touches, so they switched back temporarily), I've met a little too much disappointment. Specifically with poor hardware support (official drivers for Printer/Scanner combo don't work, video card would only recognize XP drivers and set to a maximum of 600 screen height). There are plenty of other issues, but the simple fact is that, for most average computer users, Linux will prevent them from ever needing to upgrade their computer for common tasks.

Of course, Linux has a way of coaxing people out of those common tasks into much more interesting fields.

I'm interested to see what exactly the setup of this party will be. I think it's important to be honest about the good points in Windows 7, of course, and not to be overzealous about Linux.

It's funny, even when I try to be modest in my remarks to perspective Linux users, there's always too much good to speak of it. You don't need anything to compare Linux to to like it the way it is.

I think it would be a good idea to have some preliminary tests and some points thought out beforehand. I would suggest getting a typical design-summary sheet out and test it against a set of standards a product should have (responsibility in design, looks, functionality, etc).

Good luck ushering in a new decade of computing precedence. I think it would great to question the future uses/usefulness of both systems.

Blacklightbulb
September 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Also, I think a launch party for an OS is simply too geeky for me, and I take camera lenses apart for fun.

:lolflag: just about what I was to say!

Lemmy's Wart
September 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I don't know which makes me squirm more, the thought of hosting a "Windows 7 House Party" or sitting through the entire advertising campaign for this product. Is the idea that both so naff they're good?

Maybe my time would be better spent contemplating the definitive event that will change everything for everyone forevermore. You guessed it my friends, the official "Windows 8 House Party" is in the initial stages of planning. Be there or be...somewhere else.

Being bombarded by this stuff has an adverse effect on my mental health. I shall now take my medication then go for a lie down. :confused:

koshatnik
September 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I don't know which makes me squirm more, the thought of hosting a "Windows 7 House Party" or sitting through the entire advertising campaign for this product. Is the idea that both so naff they're good?

Maybe my time would be better spent contemplating the definitive event that will change everything for everyone forevermore. You guessed it my friends, the official "Windows 8 House Party" is in the initial stages of planning. Be there or be...somewhere else.

Being bombarded by this stuff has an adverse effect on my mental health. I shall now take my medication then go for a lie down. :confused:

Congrats on the excellent username and avatar. Which one of Sir Lemmy of Kilminster's distinguished warts are you named after?

Lemmy's Wart
September 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the excellent username and avatar. Which one of Sir Lemmy of Kilminster's distinguished warts are you named after?

The one closest to the beard, below the more prominent one on the left cheek. It took a while to find a picture that portrays me in all my knobbly splendour. ;-)

koshatnik
September 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
The one closest to the beard, below the more prominent one on the left cheek. It took a while to find a picture that portrays me in all my knobbly splendour. ;-)

Top work. Wish I'd named myself after one of his warts :(

hockeytux
September 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Wouldnt it better to call it a Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 'event'? Where I come from the word 'party' brings up notions of a gathering where people shouldnt be let anywhere near a computer, especially if they can sudo things...

ZarathustraDK
September 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Wouldnt it better to call it a Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 'event'? Where I come from the word 'party' brings up notions of a gathering where people shouldnt be let anywhere near a computer, especially if they can sudo things...

Once they lock the doors from the outside and spring the trapdoor to the pool of sharks...

Yeh, freethefish has a more sinister purpose if used correctly. :)

mathay
September 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I can't imagine this being entertaining. I mean, unless there are copious amounts of alcohol. And you want to see how long it can take you to break it. I could handle that. In fact, I think it would be a great deal of fun if you implement my idea.

SniperSlap
September 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not really interested in the side discussions.

The theme is quite open and I have been given a copy of Windows 7 and Windows propaganda. If people don't like the idea I am fully expecting them not to show up!

As previously mentioned by murderslastcrow an honest approach is a good way to do it. The beauty of Linux is that you really don't have to resort to persuasion to sell it.

You list the facts as they are which are self evident and people are instantly enticed.

xuCGC002
September 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I can't imagine this being entertaining. I mean, unless there are copious amounts of alcohol.

The people at Microsoft are smart: Business people + gallons of Liquor = Major profit. Trick the drunk people into buying their OS, then turn the tables on them when they realize what they've done, leaving a terrible hangover of the realization that, not only have they consumed excessive amounts of alcohol, but they've bought an unstable OS compared to what they could've gotten, hadn't they been drunk.

Wait, what was I talking about?

Anywhoozle, Windows 7 is incredibly stable for a Windows release, but still just isn't enough.

Raffles10
September 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Just invite some girls, drink the booze and forget Windows.

Xbehave
September 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I wish i had a python capable smartphone / tablet, is it too evil to go round windows7 parties and run that remote BSOD python script?

SniperSlap
September 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
For the most part, Microsoft has plugged the stability holes in their OS. The days of coming back to a GPF or BSOD on my computer after a day out are gone.
That's barring a few longer term risks, like how a Windows system will rip itself to pieces over time! ;)

Security and performance however are still glaring them right in the face.
For example...I can't run Windows Vista in a virtual machine. It is simply too big and too cumbersome. Yet I can run at least two Ubuntu desktop VMs on top of my own!

Most people don't consider this though. Microsoft is appealing to people on totally irrelevant terms.

admiralspark
September 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Is it BYOB? Because if it is, I just lost interest.

Joking. But this is like the tons of people who camp out days ahead of time to get their hands on a Xbox 360 or to get the next Harry Potter book....honestly, you could wait like a week and get one without all the trouble. Throwing a party for it is that much 'better'.
So, I still don't understand why I can't just hold on to XP to do all my stuff, it's going to be a few more years before companies stop producing software for it since it's used far and wide.....

And then again, Ubuntu is so amazing, why would I drop $200 or more on an O/S that still bloats the system? (meaning 7).

juancarlospaco
September 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
There are too much Confikers on that Windows 7 Party...???

chrisjsmith
September 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
They must be supplying alcohol, drugs and prostitutes to the windows 7 parties. It'd be the only way to get people to have a good time...

That said, I have extensively trialled Windows 7 and it's not too terrible. More an incremental improvement on Vista though. new taskbar is a clunky, poorly implemented rip off from OSX. The performance is better. The rest is the same as Vista TBH.

ZarathustraDK
September 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
1. Order a Win7 party.
2. Invite lots of reviewers and people who gets listened to.
3. Apply light and subtle sabotage to Win7 during party.
4. ?????
5. Non-profit!

Underhanded? Naaaah....

Really, imagine if after these events reports starts trickling in that Win7 sucks and broke during the party. That could really spell ruin...

timestandstill
September 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Ubuntu will definitely outperform Windows 7
Ubuntu will always be better then Windows. Always and forever, Ubuntu. <3