PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my free RAM... (Ubuntu Server)

sammcj
September 27th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I have 4GB of DDR2/667 in my Ubuntu Server which is only acting as a Samba server for NAS.

I only actually use 256-512MB of that 4GB and am looking for some interesting ideas on what to do with the left-over 3.5+GB.

http://www.nullamatix.com/images/I-dunno-lol.jpg

Ideas anyone?

sandyd
September 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Seti@ home ?

Paqman
September 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Seti@ home ?

Doesn't really use much RAM, it's all about CPU cycles. Actually these days it's more about GPU cycles, but you get my point.

You could always create some ramdisks. /tmp is an obvious candidate for this.

sammcj
September 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Seti@ home ?

Doesn't really use lots of a RAM, also I don't really want my NAS to be running hot!

renkinjutsu
September 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM
run a bunch of daemons that you can connect to with gui's? like quassel (i think), Deluge? anything.. Game servers for LAN parties xD

foremannz
September 27th, 2009, 05:52 AM
VirtualBox an Ubuntu client, then remote access it from another computer - could be good for things like torrents when you don't want your desktop to be used

gletob
September 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM
VirtualBox an Ubuntu client, then remote access it from another computer - could be good for things like torrents when you don't want your desktop to be used

Then you would just run a torrent server like the deluge web ui. Much more efficent than A VM, but a VirtualBox backend does seem like a cool idea.

sammcj
September 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Right, well I'm running Deluge...
So now with Deluge, Apache, Mysql, PHP, firefly media server, ushare xbox upnp server, samba and some other services running I'm using a whopping 119MB of my 4GB of RAM... (Not counting the 256MB RAMDisk I setup too).

Tell me more about running a VM on it headless?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/sammcj2000/Screenshot2009-09-27at105720PM.png

hessiess
September 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Bake massive fluid sims in Blender, honestly this is the only thing I am aware of which would eaven start to use that much RAM.

sammcj
September 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Bake massive fluid sims in Blender, honestly this is the only thing I am aware of which would eaven start to use that much RAM.

fantastic...

how do you take your rendered coffee?

can anyone feel a rendering farm coming along?

Paqman
September 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Sell the extra RAM on eBay and buy something useful.

bodhi.zazen
September 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Linux is not windows and the sad truth is most people do not use more then 1.5 Gb RAM . That is not to say that some users do not require more, just that most do not.

Server side I would advise you look at Virtualization.

HavocXphere
September 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
So you have the solution but not a matching problem. Right.

Use /dev/shm to dump files into the memory. Just remember that its gone when you restart or power gets cut. Unlike your RAMdisk, it will use as much RAM as is needed/available.

I use it mainly when working on images. Much faster than HDD. In your case a slow network might kill any gains though since its on the server.

sammcj
September 28th, 2009, 03:22 AM
So you have the solution but not a matching problem. Right.

I guess you could say that's correct; I hate to see RAM go to waste!

Use /dev/shm to dump files into the memory. Just remember that its gone when you restart or power gets cut. Unlike your RAMdisk, it will use as much RAM as is needed/available.

I use it mainly when working on images. Much faster than HDD. In your case a slow network might kill any gains though since its on the server.

Hmm this sounds interesting, I have a full-duplex GbE network.
Thanks.

sammcj
September 28th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Unfortunately DDR2 is near worthless, if you go to our local shop you can buy 2GB for NZ$30 (US$21).

I was more interesting in what projects people had in mind.

sammcj
September 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Linux is not windows and the sad truth is most people do not use more then 1.5 Gb RAM . That is not to say that some users do not require more, just that most do not.

Server side I would advise you look at Virtualization.

Yes I fully agree and understand, I find I can use 2GB+ with VM / Photoshop.

Having more RAM does allow the OS to preload higher amounts of data which is nice; but this applies more the the desktop scene.

Paqman
September 28th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Unfortunately DDR2 is near worthless, if you go to our local shop you can buy 2GB for NZ$30 (US$21).

Enough for several beers.

3rdalbum
September 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM

+1. I don't think there's anything worthwhile you can do on a headless server that will use up RAM and not push your CPU.

bear24rw
September 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
put /tmp in a ram disk and then cat /dev/urandom > /tmp/really_big_file.txt see how long it takes to eat your ram

Dimitriid
September 28th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Get a more modest PC to run as server and use your current server for something like gaming ( you will need a videocard but with the recent launch of new ATI cards nvidia won't be trailing for long and we'll have incredible prices as the result of their all out war )

sammcj
September 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Get a more modest PC to run as server and use your current server for something like gaming ( you will need a videocard but with the recent launch of new ATI cards nvidia won't be trailing for long and we'll have incredible prices as the result of their all out war )

Thanks for the suggestion but no no no no no no; the idea of this thread is to come up with something that it could be used for on this server - brainstorm time!

Dimitriid
September 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I'd say donate resources to a good cause but I think they are more interested in CPU and not ram again.