PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu drivers?? Your opinion

otetiani
September 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
After removing the Windows 7 partition from my laptop this week I decided to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 so I could set it up in a different manner and I forgot to set up my wireless HP printer (new model in 2009).

My girlfriend was there when I went to print and had to set up using CUPs. After clicking about 3 times it installed the drivers and I printed and she asked:

"How did you install the printer so fast and it takes over an hour to put it on my laptop (winxp) and then the software breaks other programs?"

It got me thinking - how is it that we (Ubuntu users) can have great access to printer drivers but when it comes to graphics cards it takes years if ever?? (ie my other laptop with ATI mobility radeon HD2600 which still doesn't have a driver)

SunnyRabbiera
September 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
It all goes down to co operation between us and the hardware developers, some like HP have good hardware developers for linux, while ATI doesnt... yet

JDShu
September 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I think its because printer drivers are much easier to write than graphics drivers.

With regards to ati, I have high hopes for their open source drivers though... and apparently they're developing more rapidly than expected.

Giant Speck
September 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
HP and ATI are separate companies with separate ideals regarding open-source software.