PDA

View Full Version : Can I get my Uverse boxes to play mythtv content?

bobbob1016
September 27th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I recently got Uverse. It is working, I just wanted to know if anyone has been able to get the Uverse boxes to play MythTV content. They have a "network" option, but that seems to only detect Windows Media Player shares. If anyone has done this, and can help me, I'd appreciate it.

ian dobson
September 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I don't know anything about the uverse but check the specs. maybe it supports upnp, which the myth backend also supports.

Regards
Ian Dobson

bobbob1016
September 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
There is no UPnP on it. It seems to only want to connect to Windows Media Player 11 shares. The box is a CISCO IPN330HD-SG-A / 297, running Windows CE/5.0.1400.

bobbob1016
October 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Update, I installed a program called uShare from the repos, and my uverse boxes see it as a mediashare. I'm guessing that the uverse boxes see Xbox 360 shares, since uShare is meant for 360's. However, I can't get it to work reliably. If anyone has suggestions on how to get my media playing on, and transcoded to a 360, let me know.

Edit: Seems pointless, the mediashare seems to only stream Music and Pictures. However, the ethernet ports on the back of the receivers work as network ports (meaning I don't have to wire ethernet across my house), so I can still wire HTPC's through them. So I guess this isn't a total loss.

the_pod
October 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Out of curiousity, doesn't Uverse have a pretty amazing DVR built in to it, where you can record, pause, and then pick it up in another room if you want it? I love my Mythtv but I only pay Comcast $20 a month. Without having used it, I think that Uverse would kill any need I have for my MythTV setup. Curious on your thoughts.

re: your question, I have no idea. (Sorry).

bobbob1016
June 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Out of curiousity, doesn't Uverse have a pretty amazing DVR built in to it, where you can record, pause, and then pick it up in another room if you want it? I love my Mythtv but I only pay Comcast $20 a month. Without having used it, I think that Uverse would kill any need I have for my MythTV setup. Curious on your thoughts.

re: your question, I have no idea. (Sorry).

Sorry for the really late reply. Yes it allows you to pause and pick it up anywhere in the house, for pre-recorded content, not for LiveTV. I want to be able to play content I have not on the DVR, as in home movies and things. It does play music, but nothing else afaik.

If you want to keep Comcast, I *think* LinuxMCE *might* do that too, as in pause in one room and pick up in another. It follows your remote if it has bluetooth iirc. It is a pain to setup from what I hear though. I tried a while ago, 2-3 years and it wasn't too easy to setup at all.

williammanda
June 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the really late reply. Yes it allows you to pause and pick it up anywhere in the house, for pre-recorded content, not for LiveTV. I want to be able to play content I have not on the DVR, as in home movies and things. It does play music, but nothing else afaik.

If you want to keep Comcast, I *think* LinuxMCE *might* do that too, as in pause in one room and pick up in another. It follows your remote if it has bluetooth iirc. It is a pain to setup from what I hear though. I tried a while ago, 2-3 years and it wasn't too easy to setup at all.

Just a quick note: You can bookmark recordings, videos, etc.... at one frontend and then start using them from another frontend at the bookmark. I do this all the time when I move from room to room. Also LMCE is not as stable a platform as mythbuntu by far. Also if you wanted to do this with live tv....just select the r key to start recording and then select enter to bookmark it. Start viewing the recording on the other frontend.