PDA

View Full Version : Temporary storrage space...

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Okay peeps, here is a problem that I need solved...(I'm putting this in the community cafe because it's not really an ubuntu problem, it's only that ubuntu is part of it, feel free to move it if it's not in the right spot).

So, I would like to wipe my HDD, I am currently running 8.04, and I want to put either 9.04, or 9.10 Alpha 6 on here... however, I have files on here that I don't want to loose.

(Now, before you yell at me to back up my files, I do, or at least, I have the files that I would loose a lot of sleep over backed up very, very redundantly), However, I have files on here that I don't want to delete, because it would be a pain for me to track them down again, and re download them (they are both big, and spread in hard to find places, but they are still on the net). I also do not have an easy external drive at my disposal. So, do any of you know of a place that I can temporarily dump several big files for a few hours (as I install windows, and then ubuntu), and then pick them up? (The next time install ubuntu, I will make a separate /home partition, so I am not up this creek again).

Thank you.

BslBryan
September 26th, 2009, 10:24 PM
UbuntuOne is a service that you might want to subscribe to. It's not free for a huge amount of space, but you get 2 GB free. Check out the homepage (https://one.ubuntu.com/) for more information.

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The problem is that I'm on ubuntu 8.04 (on this lappy). Also, I'm on dropbox.

But the thing is that I need to store a lot of stuff (a few gigs), for a short period of time, not store a small amount of stuff for a long period of time.

Thanks though.

BslBryan
September 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
A whole pack of 700MB blank CDs?

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
At the moment, that's what I'm about to do...but can I say ug? lol

BslBryan
September 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Haha. Sorry, man. Invest in an 8 or so GB USB flash drive, and you won't have to worry about this kind of stuff. :-(

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hmm...that actually might do the trick...thanks. Any other suggestions though?

SuperSonic4
September 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
(The next time install ubuntu, I will make a separate /home partition, so I am not up this creek again).

Thank you.

Why not create a separate /home partition now? It can be done and should not affect any data but it is not guaranteed like with any partitioning

ubuntugeek has a guide on it

scratman
September 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
USB memory sticks would be the way I would go, or invest in an external hard drive. You could burn it all to DVDs or CDs, but as you said, the amount of time involved would be excruciating.

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hey, I found a stack of DVDs...that should help (especially as some of this stuff I would like to have archived on dvds).

Again, thanks for the input!

xpod
September 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM
How about Adrive? They give you 50GB free space.I`ve never used them myself though so i cant tell you how good/bad they might be.
http://www.adrive.com/

PhoHammer
September 26th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hotfile.com (http://hotfile.com/register.html?reff=359013) - no storage limit, just a 400 MB file limit. Works great.

hessiess
September 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Buy an external HDD and don't trust anything which you do not have direct, complete control over for important back ups or anything confidential (shared hosting, on-line file up loaders etc).

xpod
September 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Buy an external HDD and don't trust anything which you do not have direct, complete control over for important back ups or anything confidential (shared hosting, on-line file up loaders etc).

I`d certainly agree when it comes to important personal/confidential stuff but as the OP mentioned they already had their important stuff backed up and the files in question were already on the net somewhere so i doubt they were anything confidential.

TBOL3
September 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Yup, that's right, I'm not trusting confidential stuff with anyone online, I just am looking for the most convenient way to temporarily save it.

And so thanks peeps... Linux community came through again. :)