PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk problems after install of 9.04

az10sbum
September 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I installed 9.04 on a Compaq Presario F500. It is a dual processor 64 bit Athalon, and I did a 64 bit install.

It is a dual boot system with Windows XP, and everything seemed to go well during the install, but I started getting disk errors on the partition after I rebooted. I get an UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY error on my partition.

The first thought is that disk is going bad, however the computer was in active use and there were no known problems with the disk before I installed, and it passes the "check disk for defects" that is available on the run live CD every time.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated

Dave

az10sbum
September 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Is this the correct forum to post this kind of question?

raymondh
September 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I installed 9.04 on a Compaq Presario F500. It is a dual processor 64 bit Athalon, and I did a 64 bit install.

It is a dual boot system with Windows XP, and everything seemed to go well during the install, but I started getting disk errors on the partition after I rebooted. I get an UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY error on my partition.

The first thought is that disk is going bad, however the computer was in active use and there were no known problems with the disk before I installed, and it passes the "check disk for defects" that is available on the run live CD every time.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Access terminal and post results of

sudo fdisk -l

Also, why not run a fsck check? I suggest you do this from a liveCD (I prefer using a liveCD of gparted) as it automatically unmounts the partition. Just rt-click to highlight the Ubuntu partition and select CHECK.

If you want to use the Ubuntu liveCD to run fsck .... boot into it and access a terminal. If your file format is ext3, the command is

sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/hdXY

where hdXY is your ext3 ubuntu partition.

If you have BAD BLOCKS, this is the command (only if you have bad blocks)

sudo e2fsck -c -c -k -v /dev/hdXY

To verify the above commands, you may (from terminal) run

man e2fsck

and it will open up the manual for fsck for your reading/research.

Regards,