PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Penguin Migrations

sTpny
September 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to announce 'Penguin Migrations' to the Ubuntu Community.

'Penguin Migrations' is a small company that is under-development. The idea behind the company is rather simple; Linux (Mainly Ubuntu) should come with a system administrator, and like Linux, the service should be free, at least for poor people who can't afford cool stuff.

Currently, I administer a dozen computers locally, and I've got more than a dozen happy customers. I'm hoping, with help from the community, to make 'Penguin Migrations', and Linux, an international sensation. Anyone who wants to help with that, leave a comment, or send me a personal message.

We all know that Linux is way better than Windows, but a newbie without a friend who knows is not going to have a very good time with Linux. The "getting use to Linux" experience of a new Linux user is bound to have some frustrations, and many possible linux converts will never make it past this point just because of their ignorance. They think that they are alone. They don't know about us, the community, and so they get scared, and go back to Windows, which is inferior, but familiar. One of the main things I do is to help people get use to Linux. You know, the simple stuff, that we take for granted, like looking in the repo's for software, asking questions in the community, etc, etc.

All in all, it doesn't take much time to make a newbie user into a happy user. I have made some money, but not enough to be anywhere near profitability. I'm exploring ideas about how to generate an income with this, without actually charging anything for it. I'm thinking of a class based "pay as you please" system, but this system hasn't yet been tested, and so far, I'm just accepting donations; cash or whatever. The reality, so far, is that I've only made a bit of spare change from it, but that will change, over time. I am sure of it, because I am sure of us.

Currently, for some good public relations, and because they deserve it, I am working on a deal to furnish the local "Woman's Transition House" with a computer network. You can find a discussion about that project in the networking forum.

Anyhow, just thought you all should know.

Tony,

PS. I've got several other companies that rely heavily on linux in mind also, but each in its own time.