PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice, anybody using it?

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Google Voice, anybody using it?

misfitpierce
September 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I have it... best part is I have T-Mobile also with MyFaves and have my Goog Voice number as a MyFave so all that call me from or that I call is free call's. Love it!

river226
September 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Fine setup, especially if you have a load of phones, or you want to use text messaging to screen your calls

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
1. This should be a poll. Perhaps the mods can add one.
2. I don't use Google Voice. I don't have any need for it because I only have one phone number.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I have it... best part is I have T-Mobile also with MyFaves and have my Goog Voice number as a MyFave so all that call me from or that I call is free call's. Love it!

Fine setup, especially if you have a load of phones, or you want to use text messaging to screen your calls

Good to know, I just signed up for an invite. I look forward to using Google Voice.

1. This should be a poll. Perhaps the mods can add one.
Perhaps not. I as the OP have the ability to add a poll if I wanted to add one. I choose not to but if the staff want to add a poll they could.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129812&d=1253947007

2. I don't use Google Voice. I don't have any need for it because I only have one phone number.

I have only one phone also, but still would like to utilize Google Voice.

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Perhaps not. I as the OP have the ability to add a poll if I wanted to add one. I choose not to.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129812&d=1253947007

I learned something today. Thanks!

I have only one phone also, but still would like to utilize Google Voice.

Yeah, it seems pretty interesting. If I had more than one phone, I'd at least try it.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I learned something today. Thanks!

Good Welcome.

Yeah, it seems pretty interesting. If I had more than one phone, I'd at least try it.

It is very interesting, I hope to try it at least.

I especially became interested after I read the following article about ATT attacking Google because of it:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2550996820090925

It seems to have benefits beyond the multiple phone thingy, enough to make ATT and other giant cell phone companies to shake in their boots.

I can see it expanding much more beyond what it simply is now that is why I would like to get in early on Google Voice.

pwnst*r
September 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
i use it all the time with 4 phones, it's fantastic.

coldReactive
September 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
So you have to have a phone to utilize it? That's actually not that great of a service then, if you ask me. I don't like cell phones also.

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
So you have to have a phone to utilize it?

Yes, because that's the entire point of the application, to make having multiple phones easier. It isn't a VoIP application.

TBOL3
September 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, I have it, and use it. It's actually how I send text messages, as I refuse to pay the insane prices cell phone carriers want.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Yes, I have it, and use it. It's actually how I send text messages, as I refuse to pay the insane prices cell phone carriers want.
This may be exactly why ATT launched an attack against them?

Mateo
September 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
i use it for international calls mostly, quite cheap.

aysiu
September 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I use it for the following reasons: It integrates nicely with Android because Google would never reject its own app (the GV app has been rejected by another company, though). It's one number I can always give out, regardless of what my phone number is--it's a lot less trouble than porting a number if I decide to switch carriers later. I can easily block wrong numbers or unwanted calls. Voicemail transcription isn't perfect, but it's nice to have in some situations. I don't really text message that often, but having them be free is nice. I can make free long-distance calls even from my landline.

rudihawk
September 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I've never heard of Google Voice.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I use it for the following reasons:

It integrates nicely with Android because Google would never reject its own app (the GV app has been rejected by another company, though).
It's one number I can always give out, regardless of what my phone number is--it's a lot less trouble than porting a number if I decide to switch carriers later.
I can easily block wrong numbers or unwanted calls.
Voicemail transcription isn't perfect, but it's nice to have in some situations.
I don't really text message that often, but having them be free is nice.
I can make free long-distance calls even from my landline.

Great post! Thanks for the insightful information...now I want Google Voice even more.

btw Thanks for adding the poll (if you added it) but there is one typo you may want to correct:

No, I have Google Voice but almost never or never use itshouldn't this read; "Yes, I have Google Voice but almost never or never use it"?

PhoHammer
September 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Ditto, but I still have it on my myTouch 3G and I have a Google Voice number. The nerd in
me can't turn down new, free tech services...

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 09:37 PM
...the nerd in
me can't turn down new, free tech services...+1
lol

-grubby
September 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I got an invite, but there's no numbers available in my area.

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I got an invite, but there's no numbers available in my area.That's soo sad! (sorry to hear that)...I haven't received an invite yet.

mobilediesel
October 11th, 2009, 05:54 AM
It's pretty good most of the time. I use it with Gizmo5.com so I no longer have to pay to have a phone number for my voip!

I have it set up with my prepaid cell as well since power goes out here regularly I can still receive calls without giving everyone a pile of phone numbers to try.

My favorite feature is setting a number to "direct-to-voicemail" so you never have to hear the phone ring from certain numbers.

HappinessNow
October 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Google Voice, anybody using it?

Got my Google Voice account today and love it!

Algus
October 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I requested an invite. Still hoping it'll slink into my inbox (though I'm more excited for Google Wave!)

Anyone here know if it works with a Skype number?

HappinessNow
October 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I don't have any need for it because I only have one phone number.Again, you can use the many features of Google Voice even if you only have one phone number.

Being able to sync multiple numbers to one Google Voice number is just one of many features found in Google Voice.

So you have to have a phone to utilize it? That's actually not that great of a service then, if you ask me. I don't like cell phones also.You don't have to have a cell phone to use it, you can sync it to your office or home phone also.

I got an invite, but there's no numbers available in my area.Then pick another area, it's that simple.

HappinessNow
October 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I requested an invite. Still hoping it'll slink into my inbox (though I'm more excited for Google Wave!)

Anyone here know if it works with a Skype number?

It took 2 weeks for me to get my Google Voice invite.

It should work with any number as long as Google can call you on that number for verification.

aktiwers
October 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I signed up, got an invite, but its only available in the US.

:(

Algus
October 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
It took 2 weeks for me to get my Google Voice invite.

It should work with any number as long as Google can call you on that number for verification.

Haha, well I hope I'll get mine soon! I was hoping that I could set it up with a Skype number and then receive calls on my PSP when I'm at my University.

HappinessNow
October 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Haha, well I hope I'll get mine soon! I was hoping that I could set it up with a Skype number and then receive calls on my PSP when I'm at my University.
Shouldn't be a problem as long as Google can call you at the phone number and you can punch in the verification code.

Jackelope
October 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I make almost all my calls for free, now. And transcribed voicemail makes my life easier. It's better than Skype.

HappinessNow
October 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I make almost all my calls for free, now. And transcribed voicemail makes my life easier. It's better than Skype.
free calls are always good! :P

Ms_Angel_D
October 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have a local only phone number, for $10.00 a month, but I have google voice configured with it and now I can call my family back home for free :D. I also have it setup to work with my skype, so I can receive the calls on my computer.

I also love how you can have a voicemail setting for each person, as well as being able to send free sms to my kid when he's out and about.