PDA

View Full Version : Looking for coders!

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Thats Right! Looking for application coders and media compression. I came up with an idea. I've already put a copyright on it and patent. I just need to get some developers to help me with it. Of course, it's going to be released on Ubuntu first. I can't say anymore about it out in the open like this. If anyone wants to hear the idea, you gotta sign a non discloser.

Lets put it this way, Microsoft isn't going to get any of this. Infact, it's a Linux & BSD only project. Going to make something thats going to appeal to Windows users and already Linux users. No it's not more eye candy.

Derek Djons
February 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
would you mind sharing what it is or give us a hint?

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
would you mind sharing what it is or give us a hint?

You will need to contact me by email or one of the listed contact options from my web site.

If you want your hint, it will need to include the following...
"I submit my digital signature for the purpose of learning about the project at that I am not allowed to disclose any information about it in the open"

gord
February 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
If you want your hint, it will need to include the following...
"I submit my digital signature for the purpose of learning about the project at that I am not allowed to disclose any information about it in the open"

you realise that doesn't actually meen anything? might as well add 'i am also the king of france and have a chicken glued to my head' ;)

if you don't release information you prolly won't attract anyone, catch more flys with honey than with... not honey and all that. i know im not interested without further open information.

greenway
February 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
you realise that doesn't actually meen anything? might as well add 'i am also the king of france and have a chicken glued to my head' ;)

if you don't release information you prolly won't attract anyone, catch more flys with honey than with... not honey and all that. i know im not interested without further open information.

I second that. Sorry, but I don't think you will get many enthousiasts without at least sharing a little about your ideas.

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I understand how they dont want anyone to steal their idea... I get ideas and I dont want to post them anywhere because someone will steal it.

Whatever, I sign that thingy, you know I wont tell ;) PM me with it o_O

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Media delivery system.
Like iTunes, but better and with more then just Music.

Specialsauce
February 9th, 2006, 10:55 PM
keep the hungry M$ bastards away from your idea.

Im a programmer, but im not gonna sign anything, so i cant help you.

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
keep the hungry M$ bastards away from your idea.

Im a programmer, but im not gonna sign anything, so i cant help you.

Thats ok, I wasn't really expecting much of a respons from this forum though. The source code wouldn't be public until after a few sucessful releases.

I'll just have to save a crapload of money and go Back to school for more cources in Programing. Time to take a step up from Java and look at Python and C++.

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Media delivery system.
Like iTunes, but better and with more then just Music.

What do you mean by media delivery system? Like a music store?

Or a way for someone to stream music from one computer to another?

TechSonic
February 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
What do you mean by media delivery system? Like a music store?

Or a way for someone to stream music from one computer to another?

No. Stream music from a server. They would purchase a movie, either to keep and watch again or pay a small fee to watch it a couple of times from stream. But media compression though, need to tag em so you can't distribute the content over P2P networks. Have it so the music only plays on the computer it was bought with.

Kvark
February 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
No. Stream music from a server. They would purchase a movie, either to keep and watch again or pay a small fee to watch it a couple of times from stream. But media compression though, need to tag em so you can't distribute the content over P2P networks. Have it so the music only plays on the computer it was bought with.
Just forget about it, the big record and movie labels are not going to pay attention to your delivery system unless you are Apple or some other giant. It would be hard even to give away the system to a big media company that can draw attention to it. Besides, it would also need to compete with Windows Vista in being heavily DRMed and closed down, you'll never be allowed to release the source or use open standard formats if you actually do manage to catch hollywood's and the record companies' attention.

Without hollywood's blessing you won't have much content. Perhaps you could hunt indie artists far and wide but that would be a huge international project in itself.

Or turn to public domain plus the creative commons, free culture and free music movements. With their music there is no need to limit the users, which opens many possibilities itunes can never match. But you won't catch enough content to compete with itunes, good free movies for example are very rare.

bored2k
February 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Just forget about it, the big record and movie labels are not going to pay attention to your delivery system unless you are Apple or some other giant. It would be hard even to give away the system to a big media company that can draw attention to it. Besides, it would also need to compete with Windows Vista in being heavily DRMed and closed down, you'll never be allowed to release the source or use open standard formats if you actually do manage to catch hollywood's and the record companies' attention.

Without hollywood's blessing you won't have much content. Perhaps you could hunt indie artists far and wide but that would be a huge international project in itself.

Or turn to public domain plus the creative commons, free culture and free music movements. With their music there is no need to limit the users, which opens many possibilities itunes can never match. But you won't catch enough content to compete with itunes, good free movies for example are very rare.
What he said ;). On top of that, what's with this "secret pacte des loups" contract? *LOL*

Sutekh
February 10th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I've already put a copyright on it and patent. I just need to get some developers to help me with it.
That fact might deter some of the more skilled open source developers.

xequence
February 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Basically, DRM, with a little twist? o_O

nemik
February 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
what you're describing is what every studio now is looking for and trying to build. and there's competition. very advanced competition.

personally i don't think you stand a chance in this market, even with a lot of VC funding and an all-star dev team.

keep looking for something else.

TechSonic
February 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Geez, your all so negitive on this idea. It's not impossible! Plus, I've already gained the interest of HP and Fox.

Sorry you guys feel that way, but I'm going to do it anyways. If your not going to help, the people from HP and Fox will. HP wants to be the technology behind it and Fox to be the first to deliver Media to the network. I discused this with them for 4 hours stright.

HP hates Microsoft for pushing their demands on them for the "if you ship preloaded linux, we stop licensing Windows to HP". Thats why they are interested.

Fox is interested because, well it's another boost to their media spread out and the fact that HP was already interested.

I'm not some small time joe shmo. I don't care what you think. I Set my mind to something big, I finish it.

raublekick
February 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Oh you mean Comcast on Demand... teehee

BoyOfDestiny
February 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM

How does one keep this person from burning their movie to a DVD?
Is the media algorithm "encrypted"?
Where are the players for this file?
How is the file "watermarked" to keep it from peer to peer.
Would this watermark be detetable when distributed by other means: newsgroups, irc, ftp, burnt discs, etc?
When someone gets a new machine are all the files rendered useless?
In terms of streaming films, which are much larger than music files, does the customer require reliable boradband?
Would the current ISP be able to provide enough bandwith with neighborhoods downloading movies all the time?
Would your server handle the load?
If a download is cutoff or lagged, could the customer get a refund?

All of this seems impossible without some DRM in the hardware/ or really good phone home spying on the user. Not to mention combing of p2p networks...

Besides, what prevents a user from using their camcorder to record the movie and distribute it. They are trying hard to prevent use of analog devices for "unauthorized recording" (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051218-5797.html)

http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/hr4569
Anyway, I see nothing new here, and I doubt any patent would go through (well actually with the us patent office it might, but I don't think it would stand up in court).

Ok whatever, I'm negative and ranted. I just dislike the idea of people locking my hands after I've bought something. Whatever happened to treating your customers like customers... Instead of theives... I can't speak for everyone, but I bet John Q. Public would just like to watch/listen to what they have bought, when and where they want. Time shifting and all...

briancurtin
February 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Oh you mean Comcast on Demand... teehee
bingo. fun fact: my dad worked on a similar thing for a while back at Bell Labs but it got dropped a while after he left.

sorry but i dont think this is going anywhere

TechSonic
February 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hah, just stold the patent to HP this morning. I got me Five Hundred Dollars. Oh yeah.

briancurtin
February 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM
this thread is almost as funny as that one about your declassified info made in MS Paint

Mr_J_
February 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
A dream salesman...
It would be funny if I didn't understand how horrible it was.

Glad you got some money! Not that you sold anything.

TechSonic
February 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Well I'm going to fix my car now. Front Struts need lots of work. I'm going to be spending $350.00 to get r done.