PDA

View Full Version : blogger or wordpress for my blogging site?

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM
i am currently using a phpbb portal as my blogging software. i started using it because i wanted to integrate a message board. now im kinda getting tired with how it works.

i was thinking of using googles blogger because it has a lot of tools with it. like sending picture from your phone to the blog. not to mention my web hosting is kinda slow some times. i know i wouldn't have a problem like that with blogger.

or use wordpress on my own webhosting? like i said my webhosting is hit and miss sometimes.

i would also like to work a messsage board in to it somehow. doesn't have to be integrated though.

anyway looking for some suggestions.

thanks

dragos240
September 26th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Wordpress == Free and open source.
Blogger =! Free and open source

Wordpress == can be hosted
Blogger =! can be hosted

Etc. Very flexible btw. Also there is a service for wordpress if you don't have a server.

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Wordpress == Free and open source.
Blogger =! Free and open source

Wordpress == can be hosted
Blogger =! can be hosted

Etc. Very flexible btw. Also there is a service for wordpress if you don't have a server.

didn't know wordpress hosted also. ill look in to that option too.

dragos240
September 26th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Yep.
Hosted site. (http://wordpress.com)

Original site. (http://wordpress.org)

LookTJ
September 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Both can be hosted by company(ones who is in charge of the software).

Only difference I found, is that with WordPress you can host on your own server or webhosting company.

LookTJ
September 26th, 2009, 03:05 AM
And take a look at Drupal or Joomla, as I believe they are more extensible.

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM
And take a look at Drupal or Joomla, as I believe they are more extensible.

tried joomla before didn't like the looks of it. haven't tried drupal before though.

LookTJ
September 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
tried joomla before didn't like the looks of it. haven't tried drupal before though.
Ok, bear in mind that you might consider the older version of drupal rather than the later version(stable versions) if you care about modules.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Having used all mentioned: joomla, drupal, wordpress and blogger I would say stay away from joomla, drupal can be nice but also a pain. The easiest and most versatile (depending on use) would be either blogger or wordpress I use them both actively. Many like wordpress more but I prefer blogger overall.