PDA

View Full Version : Dell mini 10 v with 16gb solid state drive

zaphodbblx
September 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
OK folks I've plunged into the netbook morass and just ordered myself a dell mini 10 v that comes with hardy...I want to try out netbook remix when it shows up(about 1 week) but ive been reading that you need to tweak some settings to keep things running smoothly and improve drive life.
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/04/four-tweaks-for-using-linux-with-solid-state-drives/
anyhow any one think I need to bother or has ubuntu already addressed these issues?

earthpigg
September 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
hi,

i personally believe that the whole alleged issue with SSD life being shortened by frequent writes is - though probably true to an extent - completely blown out of proportion and exaggerated.... perhaps instead of lasting 5 years, SSD's may fail in 4.5 years without SSD-specific operating system tweaks.

i have been using my dell mini 9 (8gb ssd) since last christmas (my present to myself) and done no special netbook-specific tweaks to Ubuntu, and it has not caught fire or caused the universe to implode yet.

my desktop also uses an SSD, and i have done no SSD-specific tweaks to the Linux operating system on it.

maybe this thread will convince me that i am in error.

in a couple years time, people like me either will or will not have SSD's failing left and right. that is when we will know the extent to which SSD's are destroyed by more frequent writes.

if consumers all immediately switched to SSD's, then hard drive manufacturers that have tens of thousands of conventional hard drives in warehouses waiting to be sold will lose a whole bunch of money --- thus, the 'experts' (employees of hard drive manufacturers, corporate sponsored 'studies', etc) have every reason to convince us little people that SSD's are inconvenient, more prone to failure, etc....

...once the warehouses are emptied, i expect the tune to change. this, of course, will be due to the 'new' improvements to SSD technology pioneered by Company X.

again, this is all my views based on what i have gathered. i am no expert, but i am a bit cynical.

zaphodbblx
September 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I didn't even think of that angle...and I do suppose the good folks at cannonical will get this issue straghtened out if indeed it ever becomes an issue:)