PDA

View Full Version : Windows Anti-virus

Dark Aspect
September 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hello,

For any Windows users here, or dual Windows/Ubuntu users. Does anyone know of a good and preferably free anti virus for Windows XP? My mom seems to have a virus on her computer and I can't fix it with avg free which isn't that good anyway. As much as I would love to install Linux on her computer; Linux is out of the question least she kill me for doing a clean install.

Suggestions from any IT pros? I have Puppy Linux and Ubuntu on a Flash drive if anyone thinks a native virus scanner could solve this problem. I could try to convert her to Linux again but I am not so sure thats a good idea. After a couple of years I finally got her to learn what "My Computer" is. Computers is not really her strong point at all; however, all she ever uses her computer for is ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com/) anyway.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I dunno man I've only ever used AVG. You could try ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/ or yeah, running something from a Live distro, but AVG is really the only one I've ever used :)

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
AVG has the best detection rates for a non-interactive scanner. since it has little to no hueristics or behavioural detection though, that makes sense. for free with light use, AVG is perfect. just remember, you have to bother to scan with it. Its useless if you don't tell it to do anything.

for my personal needs I like Kaspersky IS. it's chatty but i like it that way. a silent security system prolly isn;t doing it's job....

jaxxstorm
September 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a massive fan of http://www.free-av.comAvira Antivirus - has a free edition

TheLions
September 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Kaspersky is the best i've ever used, but it has short testing period...

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM

i like kaspersky because it has a rational interface, and because the behavioral system is much like Sygate used to be. I used kerio for firewall for a while, because it was very similar in form and function to sygate, but kerio and KAV didn;t play nice together so i up'd to KIS instead.

Dark Aspect
September 25th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Okay I am going to try Avira Antivirus and ClamWin right now (I am next to her virus ridden computer).

No go, I tried that and it worked get for a total of about 3 days, it seems to conflict with Heroes of might and magic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_III) which my mom has been addicted to ever since she had it on her Windows 98 computer.

I can't open the defragmenter due to an error and it appears to be trying to print something, it keeps coming up with print errors (There isn't a printer attached at this point).

bodyharvester
September 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
when i had xp i used threatfire. also spyware doctor w/ anti-v, but that cost money, however the makers also had a free anti-virus version.

i recommend threatfire, but the best thing you can do is use a good browser and block flash/pop-ups

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I've been using Avast on computers that belong to family members. It is live, checks email, web browsing, IMs, etc. for viruses, spyware, and malware.

It is free; however, you must register it, and re-register it about twice a year. The problem I have had with it is the re-registration part. If I don't do some maintenance on the computer at least twice a year it stops updating.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Uh, this is one of main reason why I do not like using windows. I would suggest Avira, but be ready for one nasty nag-screen after every update. Every day.

If you can/will buy something, Eset NOD is number one choice. It is not expensive too and it is the best choice for many.

aysiu
September 25th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I would recommend reinstalling (it's the only way to be sure all the malware is gone, and it honestly takes about the same amount of time as trying to remove all the malware anyway).

Once you've done that, have her do this to keep the viruses away in the future:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/windowssecurity

thomps
September 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I've had some good luck with this online scanner.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

The nice thing is if the system is already infected sometimes installing another anti-virus program on the computer is impossible.

MasterNetra
September 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I use Avira (The free personal edtiton) or AVG. Both are used conjunction with Threatfire, no real issues with either...although Avira (Free Version) tends to popup a advertisment windows (for its paid version) every time it updates. Also use comodo for firewall.

foremannz
September 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
AVG Free is among the better of the free ones but doesn't do malware, so I use malwarebytes antimalware (malwarebytes.org) for that side of things, although it doesn't do realtime scanning but it is free with no strings

lisati
September 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've been using the free version of AVG for years (there's a command line version that's Linux-friendly available). The only time I've had a problem is when I temporarily took off AVG to check out another AV product and deliberately opened an infected file - net result was a need to reinstall Windows and AVG.

LowSky
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Lile others I use AVG and Malwarebyte's Antimalware. Sure they dont do 24/7 scanning, but if you make it a habit to run them once a week then you should be good.

Dark Aspect
September 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Ok I found a W32.Netsky.G@mm virus in the Ram and inside the windows folder. However, All of the scans aren't done yet. Hopefully Avira anti virus can delete it without breaking the OS. I am not sure if thats the problem yet or not.

Thanks for all the great software suggestions, oh and I've heard of nod32 thats what my brother runs (He uses XP too). Might be worth the price at this rate.

HappyFeet
September 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
AVG is perfect. just remember, you have to bother to scan with it. Its useless if you don't tell it to do anything.

Not true. I have seen avg detect viruses on the fly.

Spybot Search and Destroy is also really good. The immunize feature is really good.

Levo
September 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I highly recommend Avast Antivirus (http://www.avast.com/). There is also a Linux version of it.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Install SpyBot too. Update it and run it. He is strictly for malware, spyware and else of those...

Tipped OuT
September 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Spyware Doctor or Kaspersky.

The rest is all trash.

r4z0r_bl4d3
September 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Another vote for Malwarebytes Antimalware. That program has saved me more than a few times from having to do a clean install.

As for a general antivirus, i had used AVG for awhile, didn't work as good as it used to in previous versions.

I did some searching, I knew about ClamAV / ClamWin, but did not like that clamwin could not do background scanning.

Then I found http://www.moonsecure.com/

Its GPL and uses the clam av database. And it does background scanning and lots of other stuff.

Moonsecure + Malwarebytes run every once in awhile is really all you need.

Tipped OuT
September 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Another vote for Malwarebytes Antimalware. That program has saved me more than a few times from having to do a clean install.

As for a general antivirus, i had used AVG for awhile, didn't work as good as it used to in previous versions.

I did some searching, I knew about ClamAV / ClamWin, but did not like that clamwin could not do background scanning.

Then I found http://www.moonsecure.com/

Its GPL and uses the clam av database. And it does background scanning and lots of other stuff.

Moonsecure + Malwarebytes run every once in awhile is really all you need.

Yeah, Malwarebytes Antimalware has saved me a few time too, back when I was still starting to learn about computers.

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
just a reminder on terminology; malware is a superset of all non-desirable code, which includes things like viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, adware, spyware/behavior loggers, ras kits, dialers, etc.

sometimes the criteria are subjective. the sony XCP content protection system is in my world, a rootkit. to them it's an innocous way to protect some vapid bette middler greatest hits albulm that few would want to rip off anyway.

Gremlinzzz
November 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Free ClamWin virus scanner moves most of Windows into quarantine
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Free-ClamWin-virus-scanner-moves-most-of-Windows-into-quarantine-1139430.html

The flaw has reportedly been fixed,

lzfy
November 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
In my opinion the best free AV software for Windows is Security Essentials. It's lightweigt, detects pretty good and it's free. Give it a try.

fatality_uk
November 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Closed for necromancy

roddie
November 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
In my opinion the best free AV software for Windows is Security Essentials. It's lightweigt, detects pretty good and it's free. Give it a try.
I was amazed it took 3 pages for someone to recommend this! AVG used to be great, but it became ridiculous with the amount of pop-ups telling you to upgrade and then leading you through an internet labyrinth where you struggled to avoid the commercial version. Probably then only to be told that there was a new version of AVG that you MUST upgrade to. We also use it at work and, despite my best attempts, it is constantly chewing my CPU and RAM.

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty unobtrusive and reminds me of when I was first using AVG.

bhishan
November 19th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Avast Free Antivirus is a good one

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

endotherm
November 19th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I was amazed it took 3 pages for someone to recommend this! AVG used to be great, but it became ridiculous with the amount of pop-ups telling you to upgrade and then leading you through an internet labyrinth where you struggled to avoid the commercial version. Probably then only to be told that there was a new version of AVG that you MUST upgrade to. We also use it at work and, despite my best attempts, it is constantly chewing my CPU and RAM.

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty unobtrusive and reminds me of when I was first using AVG.
yep, but since teh thread was started more than a year ago, long before MSSE was released, it kinda makes sense.
I would recomend MSSE over AVG for most these days, but AVG does provide a few additional layers of protection.

necrotism- tastes like chicken

roddie
November 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM
yep, but since teh thread was started more than a year ago, long before MSSE was released, it kinda makes sense.
I would recomend MSSE over AVG for most these days, but AVG does provide a few additional layers of protection.

necrotism- tastes like chicken
Oops! My bad :D

Lancro
November 20th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Another vote for avast, fast and light, you wont believe its there.

CharlesA
November 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Closed for necromancy.