PDA

View Full Version : Moblin Released Final

Shibblet
September 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Moblin 2.0 (http://moblin.org/) finally released.

jaxxstorm
September 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I downloaded the Karmic Moblin Remix, and it was buggy as hell. In fact, it said the user and group Ubuntu weren't available, therefox X wouldn't start. It looks pretty exciting too, so I hope the next time I download it its in a working state.

myusername
September 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
i won't use it till i can get my music and video codecs working right

gan1708
September 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
i won't use it till i can get my music and video codecs working right

Yeah, same here. Also wish I could get my pesky Broadcom wireless (Lenovo S10-2) working out of the box without having to open the terminal and create an rpm and stuff.

Boot speed is awesome, though.

NormanFLinux
September 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The Dell Ubuntu Moblin Remix provides support for wireless cards OOTB.

Frak
September 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Dell Ubuntu Moblin Remix provides support for wireless cards OOTB.
So does Moblin (?)

TheIdiotThatIsMe
September 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm actually testing it out on a USB drive. I never tried the Ubuntu mix of it, just the regular straight Moblin. I do like it quite a bit. I have a 12" laptop that works great with it.

Can't wait for the reviews to start popping up on it.

Shibblet
September 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM
My initial experience is problematic.

First off, the Wireless doesn't work as well as it did in Ubuntu.
Secondly, I can't login to MSN for chat. Maybe I don't understand how the IM works on Moblin, but I'm imagining something similar to pidgin.
Third, I can't get it to play MKV's with x264 & AC3, and don't know where to get the codecs.

You can't really get out of the netbook interface either... You're probaby not supposed to.

The file browser is fine, it's tabbed. I'm a bit more partial to having two windows. For now, I think I am going back to Ubuntu NBR.

NormanFLinux
September 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Moblin 2.0 Final would not boot on my Dell Mini 10.

Shibblet
September 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ugh... I am so disappointed in Intel. For a "Final" release, this sucker is BUGGY!

Here is a picture of a kid playing with Moblin.

http://z.about.com/d/gocalifornia/1/0/I/3/3/PA010250-a.jpg

NormanFLinux
September 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have to agree... most Linux distros run acceptable even without Poulsbo drivers on a Dell Mini 10. Dell's own Ubuntu Moblin Remix is both buggy AND slow! :confused: :(

gnomeuser
September 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
2.1 should be out 2009 Q4, after that rumour has it they will switch the default FS to btrfs on account of it's support for things like snapshots (which would be useful for things like returning to factory defaults, just revert to the original snapshot).

Overall I am looking forward to seeing vendors roll out moblin spins, especially the openSUSE Goblin release is awesome.

gnomeuser
September 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have to agree... most Linux distros run acceptable even without Poulsbo drivers on a Dell Mini 10. Dell's own Ubuntu Moblin Remix is both buggy AND slow! :confused: :(

Most likely the issue is as follows:

Moblin is built on Clutter which requires certain OpenGL features to work. The proprietary Poulsbo drivers as I understand has not been ported to the moblin base distro nor to Karmic on which the Ubuntu release is based.

Without said support the performance will be extremely poor.

Yes it sucks.. go proprietary drivers!