PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot on one USB stick - Possible?

KingBongo
September 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi. I am trying to convince a friend of mine to switch from XP to Ubuntu on his Netbook. Is it possible to create a dual boot USB stick (Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix) so he can try them both (live)? To be more specific, I would like to put them on different partitions on one and the same stick. Is that possible? How?

Mighty_Joe
September 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Same way you'd dual boot any other pair of OS's. Create two partitions. Install Ubuntu to one and UNR to another. Just make sure the installer puts Grub on the USB drive.
You'll have to have at least an 8Gb drive. The full install of Ubuntu is over 2Gb and the UNR recommends a 4Gb drive. Let me see what my Kubuntu flash drive weighs in at. . . 3.2 Gb, but that's with some data and extra programs installed (Java, Flash, MPlayer and so on).
You'll need a second USB drive to run the UNR installer from, as UNR is distributed as an IMG (flash drive image) rather than an ISO (CD image). There are some posts in the forum about putting it on a CD, but I haven't been paying attention to how successful they've been.

KingBongo
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Mighty_Joe:
Thanks! I'll try that. Man this is a great forum. Many skilled people in here. But then again, I am sure the average Linux user is far more skilled than the average Windows user, :)