PDA

View Full Version : Linux in the Media

daemon3
September 25th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Has anyone seen the Linux operating system in the media? I remember in The Bourne Supremacy I noticed the legacy gnome icons on one of the laptops they used.

Of course, there's Jurassic Park where the system for the park was a UNIX system. :)

I think it would be a good idea for TV shows or movies to use Linux as a computer OS. We don't develop for profit (as much as MS or Mac), so they don't have to pay for the prop.

openfly
September 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
There was a bunch of media coverage given to ReiserFS when Hans Reiser started droppin bitches like inodes.

drawkcab
September 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've seen linux systems in a few movies. My guess is that it is easy to use MS though since it is a free product placement for them.

On a slightly different note, I wonder whose job it is to put together these mock-up computer systems for, say, sci fi shows? Do they have a guy that just specializes in creating animations that look like computer systems?

Bölvağur
September 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
.....so they don't have to pay for the prop.

I'm pretty sure they aren't paying for it. Local Macintosh outlets are probably giving/renting them laptops. MS's adverticing deparment also tries to get their products into films... like that alien film (remake) The Day the Earth Stood Still.
But from what I understand CSI and shows like that aren't allowed to advertise like that so they have to custom make their gui.

TheLions
September 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
There was a bunch of media coverage given to ReiserFS when Hans Reiser started droppin bitches like inodes.

:lolflag:

ve4cib
September 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
There's an episode of the Lone Gunmen (the X-Files spin-off about Mulder's trio of geeky friends) in which they have to hack into some kind of computer system. One of them says "It's a 'l-eye-nux' system..." (yes, they did mis-pronounce Linux that badly).

And I could be mistaken, but I think there's an episode in the first season of Fringe when Olivia's laptop screen is visible and it's showing a heavily-tweaked Linux UI (Gnome is my guess, but it might have been something else). It certainly didn't look like a standard Windows/OSX UI at any rate.

openfly
September 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Listen, it wasn't until PostgreSQL pioneered putting mp3s on their website to give people the pronunciation of their software that this stuff started going away. I remember when L-eye-nux was said by many people.

Heck there's still arguments over what the pronunciations of SuSE and debian are.

ve4cib
September 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Oh, I know. The pronunciation isn't that big a deal. I just found it jarring to hear it pronounced like that.

LowSky
September 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they aren't paying for it. Local Macintosh outlets are probably giving/renting them laptops. MS's adverticing deparment also tries to get their products into films... like that alien film (remake) The Day the Earth Stood Still.
But from what I understand CSI and shows like that aren't allowed to advertise like that so they have to custom make their gui.

Many TV shows cover up the Apple logo on Macs. Some use forms of UNIX and Linux to look more computer savvy for viewer, and so they can show screen shots of computer work without asking corporate giants apple or Microsoft for permission. Its really stupid as the companies would usually benefit from TV exposure that they don't pay for.

lovinglinux
September 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=619813
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811209

LoloftheRings
September 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Actually.. no.

I hate it that a new Windows is getting all attention of the world and some shocking Linux news isn't.
One of Linux' problems it that people don't know what it is.

According to most people there is:
-Windows
-That funny OS with the apple logo
-Some kind of other OS, can't recall the name. I believe it's for geeks and totally useless.

And they finally say:
"Ye, Windows beats all, why would they have such a huge market share if it weren't good?"

Time for a Linux day on Discovery!

speedwell68
September 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM
THe only film I can think of that has Linux computers in it is Revolution OS.:D