PDA

View Full Version : Why Windows 7 is going to be popular in Japan

JDShu
September 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20090926/image/kwin74.jpg

My friend showed me this and is celebrating by getting drunk. Her name is Mizuki Nana!

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ok, read it for us that don't know japanese. thanks.

coldReactive
September 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM
You do realize there's a whole community for those anime-like characters that represent OSes, right?

http://ostan-collections.net/

Anyway, I first heard this news there at that website, not new to me, but an official-tan is always welcome.

JDShu
September 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I actually don't know enough japanese to understand the whole thing. As far as I understand, the gist of it is an anime mascot for this particular version Windows 7. And excuse me, the name of the mascot is not Mizuki Nana, thats the voice actor (who also did Testarossa in Full Metal Panic, for those of you interested)

dsavi
September 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
What? Using Manga as a lure to an operating system? Something in there screams "Seriously screwed up".

JDShu
September 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Not any more screwed up than any other marketing scheme ;)

coldReactive
September 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Not any more screwed up than any other marketing scheme ;)

If you ask me, this is more subtle.

tcoffeep
September 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
A conspiracy!

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
the ostans are not marketing per se in that they don't originate from teh companies marketing the OSs. They are just fan done stuff so far as I'm aware.

win2000 is my fav. Shes very cute!

ChrT
September 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
lol, japanese cartoons

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
This is actually a Windows 7 discussion that may not qualify for Reoccurring discussions! :D

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
This is actually a Windows 7 discussion that may not qualify for Reoccurring discussions! :D

Recurring discussions should not be a dumping ground. I've been here for years and never seen a discussion on ostans. it may have happened in early '07 but that is not sufficient reason to declare it 'reoccuring'.

JDShu
September 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
This is slightly more than OS-tans, it sounds like a supplementary program that guides you around Windows 7 (kinda like that annoying paperclip except its an anime girl voice acted by a professional). According to ppl on 4chan, its all ordered out.

Hopefully a Japanese speaker can confirm what it says.

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM

So this has been going on for a while? I know about the ones for Linux but didn't think Windows had any.

Tristam Green
September 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
the ostans are not marketing per se in that they don't originate from teh companies marketing the OSs. They are just fan done stuff so far as I'm aware.

There's a correlation between the amount of memory recommended for installation and other things with the OS-tans, too.

WinXP-tan is my favorite because of this ;-)

moster
September 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I just cannot believe :)

Just imagine Ballmer holding this and talking about windows 7 in EUROPE. People would think he lost his mind :D

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
There's a correlation between the amount of memory recommended for installation and other things with the OS-tans, too.

WinXP-tan is my favorite because of this ;-)

lol, yes. I was having trouble coming up with a delicate way to say that myself. well done, and cheers!

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
So this has been going on for a while? I know about the ones for Linux but didn't think Windows had any.

indeed. I learned about it (late apparently) a few years ago. it's a nice bridge between my two favorite hobbies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

moster
September 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I guess I must be a japanese to understand this.

All this look like something perverted to me.

Tristam Green
September 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM

No more or less perverted than your average "magical girl" anime or manga.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
No more or less perverted than your average "magical girl" anime or manga.

Mine? I do not know what is "magical girl" but I know what is manga and anime. Whole thing to me is unclear. All of it drag on erotic side but how to say "perverted". No offence, just different opinion :)

nmccrina
September 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I just cannot believe :)

Just imagine Ballmer holding this and talking about windows 7 in EUROPE. People would think he lost his mind :D

If he hadn't already done about 6 things that would make one think he lost his mind, lol. :)

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I notice that your location is "the Human Body". in that case, why be afraid of it?
yes, manga is produced largly for pubescent boys, and yes many pubescent boys like girls. if that is perverted, then yes, humans are perverted.

personally i prefer to reserve strong incriminating words like perverted for much more exotic things than a picture of a fully clad girl in a non-lascivious pose.

cityrama
September 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
The only ones who are going to take it seriously and be attracted are dirty Japanese perverts.

moster
September 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
If he hadn't already done about 6 things that would make one think he lost his mind, lol. :)
I think this would be a one nice roundup after which he would be ready for complete mental evaluation :)

I notice that your location is "the Human Body". in that case, why be afraid of it?
yes, manga is produced largly for pubescent boys, and yes many pubescent boys like girls. if that is perverted, then yes, humans are perverted.

personally i prefer to reserve strong incriminating words like perverted for much more exotic things than a picture of a fully clad girl in a non-lascivious pose.

Well, sorry for strong words. I know that in Japan schoolgirls are considered somehow erotic. For grown men, not only for pubescent boys.

Now, windows 7 is not targeting pubescent boys primary. If it is, then in the whole world would cover of windows 7 look something similar. Instead of slick-sofisticated-neutral (at least they try to make if like that).

purgatori
September 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
So?

cgroza
September 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Windows bla bla bla.....I am not using windows since i opened a batch file...I remember C://Windows/System32 deleted

RiceMonster
September 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I bet if Ubuntu/Canonical did this people would be saying it's good marketing.

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM

I wouldn't call it perverted, but it's not my "cup o' tea". At least now while I'm at work.

eragon100
September 25th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I love this ubuntu mascot, se is so cute (or かわいい , whatever you prefer :D):

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pid=2610&fullsize=1

moster
September 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't call it perverted, but it's not my "cup o' tea". At least now while I'm at work.

Buddy, you have skull and ubuntu sign in avatar. I would love to see your art but I think it would make small children cry. :)

But you have definitely eye for something.

j.bell730
September 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM

I don't remember seeing a post saying that it was bad marketing.

HappyFeet
September 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM

JDShu
September 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Actually, I think Windows ME was the original character. She was well intentioned but kept messing everything up and failing.

tcoffeep
September 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
So, Windows 7 is going to popular in Japan, not because it is a great OS (and it really is), but because of an anime (apparently) launch party thing?

doas777
September 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
So, Windows 7 is going to popular in Japan, not because it is a great OS (and it really is), but because of an anime (apparently) launch party thing?
its better than they're doing in the us

tcoffeep
September 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I think launch parties are ridiculous to begin with, but 7 is actually a really good OS. And I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say, doas.

doas777
September 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I think launch parties are ridiculous to begin with, but 7 is actually a really good OS. And I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say, doas.

nuthin serious man. i was just thinking that marketing featuring ecchi girls would appeal to me more than the current set of commercials. certainly a few steps up from Jerry Seinfeld, and Project mohave.

I have been using windows 7 at work for development (I have an MSDN subscription so why not) and it does have some bugs that i notice regularly, particularly issues with UACs screen blanking (paints the whole screen black but only releases it about half a window at a time so I have to find a window to grab blind, and "wipe" the black off my screen after every UAC prompt) and another where it always specifies to the printer that I want prepunched rather than plain letter, regardless of setting.

overall it's an alright OS, but I don;t like the jumplists (I keep 30 tiny icons in my quicklaunch usually, and jumplists complicate that) and the window drag to frame thing is ******* me off.

I work with windows everyday so i give them a fair shake, worry not.

anyway, i was just pokin a little fun. I don;t like launch parties either.

MellonCollie
September 26th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I have been using windows 7 at work for development (I have an MSDN subscription so why not) and it does have some bugs that i notice regularly, particularly issues with UACs screen blanking (paints the whole screen black but only releases it about half a window at a time so I have to find a window to grab blind, and "wipe" the black off my screen after every UAC prompt)

I haven't exprerienced anything like that. Sounds like it might be some kind of odd graphics card driver bug. :confused:

overall it's an alright OS......the window drag to frame thing is ******* me off.

I quite like that feature (Aero Snap). You can turn it off by typing "snap" into the search bar on the start menu, selecting "Turn off automatic window arrangement", then, in the window that appears, tick "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged....." and hit ok/apply.

Jesus_Valdez
September 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
That's unfair, I live in Mexico and I see no Luchador, announcing Windows Siete. :(

JDShu
September 26th, 2009, 02:40 AM

Yep anime sells :D

purgatori
September 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM

I'm indifferent. I just don't see the relevance because Windows is going to be the dominant OS in Japan for the foreseeable future regardless of the ad campaign that accompanies a particular release. This holds true for most of the world, in fact, not just Japan so yeah... I don't get it.

mikewhatever
September 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I think the OP is somewhat detached. I mean, making making such a claim not really knowing Japanese, all based on some anime picture. No offense to the OP, but it's not ridiculous, it's just plain dumb.

JDShu
September 26th, 2009, 04:01 AM
firstly... chill out >.>

Anyway, I'm passing this information from my friend who regularly frequents /jp/ on 4chan, if you want to know how I came to my conclusion. As I said, a fluent Japanese speaker could probably confirm this, and I'm not 100% sure. The little japanese I know though does confirm the involvement of a famous voice actor.

EDIT: Actually, since I am offended and have a stupid sense of pride, I will translate the bits that I know to show that I'm not detached from reality XD

Headline: "Original Windows 7 Special Team"
Sub Heading "Wallpaper and sound set"
Underneath: "Desktop Background Picture and various action sounds (for example when you recieve emails or empty your trash)

The rest is various names of the character and voice actor.

Well, I guess theres no animation then, just a sound package for when you do various things.

mikewhatever
September 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Perhaps a friend told you about the anime, and perhaps someone famous is involved, so what? Can you elaborate on the 'Why Windows 7 is going to be popular in Japan' conclusion, I do want to know.:)

JDShu
September 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I was being facetious, which I thought was kind of obvious. Unfortunately its always hard to show over internet forums I guess.

wojox
September 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Why Ubuntu is popular in the U.S.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/3650149196_0aeb8f9662.jpg

doas777
September 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM

see, now we're using our noggins

pwnst*r
September 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
you saw it on 4chan so it must be true.

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Photoshopped GIMPed.

Chame_Wizard
September 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Linux distros has really nice OS-tans.:P

And it's Anime/Japanese animation BTW.

:lolflag:

moster
September 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yes.. but this is real looking girl. :D

JDShu
September 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
you saw it on 4chan so it must be true.

LOL, well, refer to the rest of that post... I translated it.