PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Obtaining older versions of libncurses

cmnorton
September 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Where can I get older versions of libncurses. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and am getting these errors when compiling:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libncurses.so when searching for -lncurses
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libncurses.a when searching for -lncurses

Specifically, I need libncurses4, and cannot find it in synaptic or through apt-get.

lloyd_b
September 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Where can I get older versions of libncurses. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and am getting these errors when compiling:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libncurses.so when searching for -lncurses
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libncurses.a when searching for -lncurses

Specifically, I need libncurses4, and cannot find it in synaptic or through apt-get.

It used to be available, up until Hardy. What you can do is go here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/ncurses4.2) and download the sources, and then compile it yourself.

Note: I would strongly recommend against installing it into /usr - it'll probably conflict with the ncurses5 you have installed. You *should* be able to install it in /usr/local safely, though.

Lloyd B.

Zugzwang
September 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I think that if you get this error while *linking* ("ld" will not be called when compiling), it is more likely that you are trying to link against 32-bit libraries when trying to produce a 64-bit binary or the other way around. Is that possible?

cmnorton
October 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
It used to be available, up until Hardy. What you can do is go here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/ncurses4.2) and download the sources, and then compile it yourself.

Note: I would strongly recommend against installing it into /usr - it'll probably conflict with the ncurses5 you have installed. You *should* be able to install it in /usr/local safely, though.

Lloyd B.

I could not find anything at your "here" link.

lloyd_b
October 2nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
I could not find anything at your "here" link.

??? Did you not get to the page "Source Package: ncurses4.2 (4.2-10.1) [universe]"? Towards the bottom of the page are three download links. I'm not entirely sure what the ".dsc" file is. The "...orig.tar.gz" is a gzipped archive of the base sources for ncurses 4.2, and the "...diff.gz" file is a patch to bring it up to 4.2-10.1.

Lloyd B.