PDA

View Full Version : How domain names work !!

Mosaab
September 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have never registered a domain name before ...
recently I got some nice domain names .. the registrar told me that they dont have some kind a control panel to control my domains so I have to call them when ever I wanna do something with them.

They mentioned something about DNS and to be honest I didnt understand it good. I have an Idea about local domains and how to create them and DNS servers as well.. but when it gets out of a LAN, I have no clue.

now what happens exactly when I decide to use my domain name say "some-domain.com" with some hosting company online.. who DNS works in this case .. and how many DNSs are there? specially that I have a domain that indicates my country ends with .ae not .com. is the DNS server of the country must be mentioned some where ? how ? where ?

t0p
September 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
When you're using a hosting service and you want to use a domain name that you own, the hosting service's site usually has a form to fill in, then they do what's necessary for your domain name to work. So when you go to the hosting service's website, there should be link to click on if you want to use your own domain.