PDA

View Full Version : What is a Browser?

HappinessNow
September 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Watch the video, "What is a Browser?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ

Interesting video study done by Google; imagine what the results would be for Operating System, Linux or even Ubuntu.

t0p
September 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I don't know if all the people with questionable answers actually didn't know what a browser is. They are just confused about terms. A lot of them, when asked "What browser do you use?" replied "Google". It was clear these people were confused about the terms "browser" and "search engine".

These people clearly know how to get on the internet though. Like the guy who said he "clicks the big E". So they might not know what the word "browser" refers to, but they certainly know how to use one.

I was amused by the guy who said he uses Firefox. The interviewer asks "Why did you switch to Firefox?" The guy replied "My friend came over and deleted my other browsers and said 'That's what you're using now!'" Heh.

HappinessNow
September 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I was amused by the guy who said he uses Firefox. The interviewer asks "Why did you switch to Firefox?" The guy replied "My friend came over and deleted my other browsers and said 'That's what you're using now!'" Heh.+1

I liked that also; friends don't let friends use IE, perhaps Ubuntu users should do that for their friends. Your using Ubuntu now! :P

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Solution: descriptive names for applications. +1 point to the KDE devs.

Also suspect people were confused, at least to some degree, by a guy from Google asking them about browsers. People seemed to assume that they were meant to be talking about search engines.

t0p
September 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
When the interviewer asked "Have you heard of Google's new browser Chrome?" I don't think anyone said they had. Google's got some way to go in advertising its existence. They've got their work cut out for them, especially as no one knows what a browser is anyway!

HappinessNow
September 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Solution: descriptive names for applications. +1 point to the KDE devs.

Also suspect people were confused, at least to some degree, by a guy from Google asking them about browsers. People seemed to assume that they were meant to be talking about search engines.

When the interviewer asked "Have you heard of Google's new browser Chrome?" I don't think anyone said they had. Google's got some way to go in advertising its existence. They've got their work cut out for them, especially as no one knows what a browser is anyway!

Here is a independent video study done in Rotterdam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEt0N3xu0Do

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Could I get a translation?

Sean Moran
September 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
A 'browser' is a casual sort of somebody who doesn't really understand what they are looking at and isn't all that concerned about it but takes on the behaviour of 'browing' whiich is the verb from where the noun comes from..

We have software tools that can do this for 'browsers' on the Internet nowadays. Still doesn't change anything, eh?

All we get now are browsers browsing browsers but that is what youtube is there for! :P

---o0o---

Sorry. It's Friday night here and I am just having a laugh and shall now shut up because the laughs are over.

etnlIcarus
September 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
the laughs are over.Yes because YOU KILLED THEM.

It's Friday night hereCarry on.

ChrT
September 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
lol'd at the female spelling out chrome :lolflag: