PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Transferring Files from external Kubuntu partition to Windows Xp

earendill
September 25th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Hi,
New to this forum.

My computer which had a Kubuntu Feisty Fawn on it crashed. Along with Kubuntu 7.1 it also had a partition of Windows XP and a partition of Fedora Core 3(generally used as a dumping partition and maybe for sentimental reasons :cry:).

However, the problem is that my motherboard short circuited. As a result, I have to get a new motherboard (along with a new processor). Unfortunately, this means that I have to reinstall everything. But my fedora core 3 partition has some important valuable data(close to about 10GB)

I have another computer with Windows XP installed in it. It is working fine. This windows has two NTFS partitions and one FAT32 partition. Can anybody suggest a method to transfer the files from Fedora Core 3 partition to Windows XP? Does the open source community have any tools for this purpose? Can you suggest how I transfer the data from the ext3 partition to an NTFS/FAT32 partitions? :-k

The hard disk of the crashed PC can be connected as a slave to the hard disk of my working PC. Both Hard disks are IDE devices(not SATA). Is there any way for the windows to recognize the Fedora 3 partition.

Can this work?
In my working PC, I install Ubuntu. Will it recognize the external Fedora 3 and Kubuntu 7.1 partitions?

Thanking You
earendil

mikewhatever
September 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Just connect the disk and boot and use a live cd to copy files. Alternatively, install fs-driver to make Windows read ext3.