PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "Burn4Free CD and DVD"

MasterNetra
September 25th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have a old Gateway Desktop which still faithfully serves mes from 2002 that I use almost solely to take care of MagicJack on Windows XP. I decided to install other utilities just in case I may need them later on. One of which is Burn4Free. Installed fine, wanted to connect to the internet to display some images used in its installer (when it asks you if you want to install some toolbar, a no by default for me, never use them.) comodo as usual caught it and I denied it. Installation continued without a hitch a minute or so afterwards though Threatfire catches it attempting to change my Internet Privacy and other settings, being suspicious I told Threatfire to kill it and will do so everytime it makes this attempt. I mean what business does a CD/DVD burner software have with my Internet settings. Anywho your thoughts?

oboedad55
September 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I have a old Gateway Desktop which still faithfully serves mes from 2002 that I use almost solely to take care of MagicJack on Windows XP. I decided to install other utilities just in case I may need them later on. One of which is Burn4Free. Installed fine, wanted to connect to the internet to display some images used in its installer (when it asks you if you want to install some toolbar, a no by default for me, never use them.) comodo as usual caught it and I denied it. Installation continued without a hitch a minute or so afterwards though Threatfire catches it attempting to change my Internet Privacy and other settings, being suspicious I told Threatfire to kill it and will do so everytime it makes this attempt. I mean what business does a CD/DVD burner software have with my Internet settings. Anywho your thoughts?

Reading your post makes me shudder. I rarely use windows so I'm not so used to having to have all these traps and safeguards against mal-ware and viruses. Thanks for the reminder. ):P

SuicideSmurf
September 25th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Was it the Ask toolbar?

Tipped OuT
September 25th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Lesson learned here:

Don't donwload and install un-familiar software.

Should have just downloaded and installed CDBurnerXP or if you want something that costs, Nero.

SuicideSmurf
September 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Lesson learned here:

Should have just downloaded and installed CDBurnerXP or if you want something that costs, Nero.

Maybe not Nero on Windows. It comes with way too much bloated crap.

Tipped OuT
September 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Maybe not Nero on Windows. It comes with way too much bloated crap.

True. Which is why I personally don't use it, and also because it costs lol.

There are plenty of reliable free alternatives that do exactly what I need it to do. Burn.

drawkcab
September 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Lesson learned here:

I've used cdburnerxp before. Good stuff. :guitar:

MasterNetra
October 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Was it the Ask toolbar?

No, I unchecked it before continuing the installation. And as I said Threatfire caught the actual CD/DVD burning software trying to change the settings. It was rated near the top of some list of best CD/DVD Burning software, it was the highest freeware. I Think CDburnerXP was a little lower.

anonymous_user
October 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
You should do more research on the software you install.

Theres plenty of good free burning programs that are also well known. ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP, InfraRecorder, Ashampoo Burning Studio (there are free versions of it).