PDA

View Full Version : A good webcam for Linux?

Rhapsody
September 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I must admit I come into this subject with no prior experience, so I've no idea what to expect. What I want is a webcam that does both video and audio, and works well on Kubuntu. My setup here is a desktop system with a 22" LCD monitor. My four rear USB ports are pretty much packed to capacity (apparently four being considered a good trade-off so I can have six legacy ports that I never use), though I suppose I shall have to sacrafice something unless I find a way to expand my capacity through daisy-chaining.

I live in the UK, so of course it would be best to find something I can get from a British supplier. I'm also not sure what to think of in terms of price, though I'd be aiming to go below £50 (which seems realistic), though I could probably stretch to £100 if I end up being shown a really good one.

hewbert
September 25th, 2009, 02:09 AM
A few months back I was looking at several, and ended up testing out several. I settled on the Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP Plus.

It's not high-end, but it works well under Linux and has both audio/video. I think I paid around $40 USD for it..?

cariboo
September 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Have a look here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCameras) it should help you choose a webcam.

dragos240
September 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Have a look here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCameras) it should help you choose a webcam.
I love your avvy.

SunnyRabbiera
September 25th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I have a logitech quickcam chat, works wonders.

Exodist
September 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Quickcams work great, just make sure you dont get one of the messenger ones. I been told they dont work.

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 06:15 AM
logitech ftw

WalmartSniperLX
September 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Yup

Logitech cams are the best IMO. I never had any problems with mine. In fact, I have a post for it in the community market :)

keithp
October 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
@SunnyRabbiera

You say that you have a Logitech Quickcam Chat which works well in Ubuntu.

I have the same webcam with its supplied earplug and in-line mic.

For ages, I have been trying to get it to work with aMSN (from the repositories) and Skype (the latest beta version), but it's a dismal failure.

Do you run your webcam with either of these programs?

If so, would you please give me some pointers on how you got it to work? I'd really appreciate it.

It's excellent in XP, but if I can get it to work in Ubuntu, it's goodbye to Windows!

Many thanks

Keith