PDA

View Full Version : sleep remedies?

bodyharvester
September 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
there must be a million ways to get a better nights sleep and id like to hear them.

ive tried Horlicks, a chocolate tasting drink supposedly to help you sleep better, but i dont think its ever worked for me

another i know is heating up milk/cream in a microwave so its warm is something that is supposed to help

any others?

MC707
September 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
ask someone to hit your head with a baseball bat. or smell someone's feet.

Duncan J Murray
September 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
One that works for me: take a hot bath, get out, dried, and go to bed. Apparently the transition from hot to cold reflects the natural change in temperature in the day and get trigger you to sleep.

Another one that works - wake up early. Most people who have difficulty getting to sleep (myself included) actually have a natural sleep-wake cycle longer than 24 hours. To correct it, you must 'entrain' it. You do this with light and eating and noise (all of which should occur when you're meant to be awake). Therefore, getting up early and exposing yourself to light and food will pull back your natural cycle, so that you end up feeling sleepy earlier.

Never tried this myself, but if all else fails, and you really need to get to sleep, a friend of mine recommends zopiclone 7.5mg. You need to take it when you're ready to sleep as it works in 20 minutes, but if you don't get to sleep within a short time frame, you've missed the boat.

Good luck!

Duncan.

dragos240
September 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM

The first one may knock you out.

Duncan J Murray
September 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
It must be time for bed for me. I can't believe I wrote out that entire reply to another question not asked.

fidelandche
September 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Try not watching television or going on the computer for an hour before bed, the warm milk should work also have a warm bath.

suitedaces
September 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM

The first one may knock you out.

And if those feet are mine, the second may also!

JillSwift
September 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
For staying asleep and getting higher quality sleep, five to fifteen minutes of light aerobic exercise before bed.

Duncan's suggestion of the hot bath helps you fall asleep faster, and combined with the exercise it makes for good 'training' of your circadian rhythm.

Cope57
September 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Stay awake for 120 hours, then go to bed.

cityrama
September 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Margaret Thatcher: The Great Speeches [Audiobook] (Audio CD)

bodyharvester
September 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Margaret Thatcher: The Great Speeches [Audiobook] (Audio CD)

that thing exists? :shock:

speedwell68
September 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I but the BBC World Service World Today on the netbook next to my bed. I don't so much actually listen to the news, just the sounds, works a treat for me.:D

If that fails just get drunk, I find a nice local Cider does the trick...

http://www.bottlebankwine.co.uk/images/cornish_rattler.jpg

blithen
September 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM

/thread

cityrama
September 24th, 2009, 11:46 PM
that thing exists? :shock:

:) Amazon.

MC707
September 24th, 2009, 11:58 PM
And if those feet are mine, the second may also!

ROFL!

There is another good method if you are male. However, I will not say it for ubuntu's kids rules and stuff... check this for information about well sleeping (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A590799), my advice is included in it.

nowin4me
September 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I find horse tranquillizers rather effect.
But to save money I usaly stay up until sleepy (that's usaly around 3-5am).

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM
there must be a million ways to get a better nights sleep and id like to hear them.

ive tried Horlicks, a chocolate tasting drink supposedly to help you sleep better, but i dont think its ever worked for me

another i know is heating up milk/cream in a microwave so its warm is something that is supposed to help

any others?

do you sleep in the same room as your comp? and if so, is it on?

bodyharvester
September 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
do you sleep in the same room as your comp? and if so, is it on?

but of course :) my comp is folding away

kevCast
September 25th, 2009, 12:21 AM
A sleep hack that I use is not eating 12-16 before the time you want to wake up. So, if you want to wake up at 6:00am, don't eat after 6:00pm the previous day. It's a biological thing.

Try it out.

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
but of course :) my comp is folding away

k, that's not helping.

MasterNetra
September 25th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Well yea that can also reset your sleep cycle. U.S. Military has new recruits stay up for around 48 hours to tune them to the military's sleep cycle.

You could read Microsoft's Eula, that could put you to sleep.

red_Marvin
September 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Possibly permanently.

tcoffeep
September 25th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Here's what I do :

Take care of my hyper daughter (her mom gives her juice and chocolate milk before handing her over to me) for 8 hours, and then read a few chapters in any given book.

sgosnell
September 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Melatonin. It's natural, safe, and it works for me.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I tend to just stay up until I PHYSICALLY CANNOT HOLD MY EYES OPEN ANY MORE... lol

And then I sleep xD

Save for that, the top 2 things I would suggest are Valerian Root tablets, and a copy of Pride and Prejudice. The latter could genuinely put me to sleep by the end of the first chapter. Without fail. Every night. Hehe ^_^

dragos240
September 25th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Or the gpl3 license.

dragos240
September 25th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Find out clever ways of informing your family of linux. Most of them will tune it out. So, it may take a while.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Ah great minds, great minds ^_^

MC707
September 25th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Or what about counting in binary/hex instead of the overrated sheeps jumping fence?

dragos240
September 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM
a
b
c
d
e
f
1a
1b
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 04:20 AM
a
b
c
d
e
f
1a
1b
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z
z

haha that's quite a good technique actually ^_^

Megrimn
September 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
yeah, turn the computer off or put it in a different room. covering any lights (especially blue LEDs) to make the room dark and relaxing. I even put something over the light on my PS2.

And staying up into the wee hours of the morning is BAD. The earlier you go to sleep, the earlier and more refreshed you will wake up (eventually). Less naps during the day will help, too.

One thing that puts me right out is listening to music, usually soft stuff with certain exceptions. I'll get fixed on a perticular CD for months and pretty soon I can't listen to it during the day anymore, because I'll drop off.

tcoffeep
September 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
June 19, 2003 - Playing a video game or finishing up some work on computer before bed may keep you awake long after you turn the computer off. A new study shows that the bright light of a computer screen may alter the body's biological clock and suppress the natural production of melatonin that's critical to the normal sleep-wake cycle.

Melatonin is a hormone in the body that helps regulate a person's sleeping and waking hours. Researchers say exposure to light is thought to alter the amount of melatonin produced, and a decline in melatonin production is often blamed for sleep problems in the elderly.

In this study, published in the May issue of the Journal of Applied Physiology, researchers tested the effects of computer use at night on melatonin production as well as a variety of other factors known to affect a person's biological clock, such as body temperature and heart rate that are known to drop during sleep.

Seven healthy male computer users with an average age of 25 were told to wake up between 8 and 9 a.m. and go to bed between midnight and 1 a.m. for a week before the start of the experiment. They were then asked to perform either an exciting task (a video shooting game) or a boring task (simple math) using a computer with either a bright or dark display monitor on alternating nights between 11:30 p.m. and 2 a.m. before going to bed.

Researchers Shigekazu Higuchi and colleagues at the Akita University School of Medicine in Akita, Japan, found that melatonin production was significantly affected by the brightness of the computer screen as well as the type of task performed. Melatonin levels were lower after performing the exciting task in front of a bright display than in front of a darker one. But there was no difference in melatonin levels during the boring tasks.

Although the body temperature dropped at night under all conditions, working in front of a bright computer screen caused the computer user's body temperature to be significantly higher then when it was performed using a dimmer monitor.

Researchers say those results show that computer users who work or play at night in front of a bright display might lose sleep because performing an exciting task late at night may alter the normal nocturnal changes in melatonin and body temperature associated with a person's biological clock.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20030620/nighttime-computer-users-may-lose-sleep

Do you use the comp. at night?

chucky chuckaluck
September 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
i use benadryl (antihistamine) to help me sleep. it's ill effects are far preferable to the ill effects from not sleeping.

http://blog.cartelagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/bad-sleep.jpg

markharding557
September 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM
5 pints of marstons pedigree bitter

stinger30au
September 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
drink plenty of booze just before u hit the hay

bodyharvester
September 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Do you use the comp. at night?

Dont you?

Doesn't everyone? :lolflag:

midday i go to the gym, later at night, like, now-ish i follow the Shaolin Warrior Workout Vol 1 dvd on my netbook, not a big screen though :) i also set my alarm early so i can do the stretches form the dvd to keep strong

bodyharvester
September 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
5 pints of marstons pedigree bitter

marstons is very good stuff :)

Sunflower1970
September 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Melatonin. It's natural, safe, and it works for me.

+1.

It's also non-habit forming. Helps regulate sleep. Only side effect are weird dreams :shock:

I also take a hot shower beforehand which helps.

I don't drink anything with caffeine or eat/drink anything with sugar either. That'd keep me up forever.

Oh, and another little trick I have Tomato on my router, and I have it turn off my internet connection around 11:00pm, so I have no choice but to go to bed. Otherwise I'd be up all night.

LookTJ
September 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Oh, and another little trick I have Tomato on my router, and I have it turn off my internet connection around 11:00pm, so I have no choice but to go to bed. Otherwise I'd be up all night.
Is this possible in DDWRT? because I would need something like this, I stay up at night because of the internet(forums, news, mail, etc.

Sunflower1970
September 26th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Is this possible in DDWRT? because I would need something like this, I stay up at night because of the internet(forums, news, mail, etc.

In Tomato, there's a section called Access Restriction. I'd assume there's something similar in DDWRT. Not sure where it would be....I found a wiki with some info in it, though: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_Restrictions

sgosnell
September 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Most routers have that capability built in. Just go into the router settings with your browser and find it. It's generally in something like Scheduling, or some such.

Xbehave
September 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
sleep 28800

Seriously its been 5 pages guys, you call yourself geeks!!! :P

I fail at getting to sleep when I can't I often go to bed early but because I have a laptop if I can't sleep ill watch something or check a few forums / news aggregation sites for pms then end up more awake till I just force myself to sleep.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
For staying asleep and getting higher quality sleep, five to fifteen minutes of light aerobic exercise before bed.

Duncan's suggestion of the hot bath helps you fall asleep faster, and combined with the exercise it makes for good 'training' of your circadian rhythm.

If you have a partner then a bit of loving could be very relaxing also.

Try cuddling.

ROFL!

There is another good method if you are male. However, I will not say it for ubuntu's kids rules and stuff... check this for information about well sleeping (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A590799), my advice is included in it.
Male/Female relaxation techniques can be shared by both.

LookTJ
September 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
In Tomato, there's a section called Access Restriction. I'd assume there's something similar in DDWRT. Not sure where it would be....I found a wiki with some info in it, though: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_Restrictions
I'll keep that in mind until I get my wrt router(using an old DI-524 of DLink) back from my friend.

amitabhishek
September 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Try watching "Ghost Rider" at low volume/night mode.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Also try Solitaire: http://worldofsolitaire.com/

ninjapirate89
September 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I recently had trouble falling asleep. I decided to take a walk. Twelve miles later I was dehydrated, sore, and ready to collapse.....still couldn't sleep.

mehaga
September 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
sleep 28800

Seriously its been 5 pages guys, you call yourself geeks!!! :P

hahahahh :lolflag:

Discovery channel says darkness is the key. Go to bed, make your bedroom as dark as possible. It won't work very well at the beginning, but should help you actually cure insomnia. I haven't tried myself. Like someone else said earlier, I go to bed when there is absolutely no way I can keep my eyes open.

fjf
September 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Get laid!.

MC707
September 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM

I don't know... the article said men get better sleep but females become more awake! And I've seen the trait, they get more talkative after, y'know, playing. But I guess that can vary from girl to girl indeed.

lisati
September 27th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Decapitation, although rather drastic, is guaranteed to work.

sandyd
September 27th, 2009, 03:40 AM
If you have a partner then a bit of loving could be very relaxing also.

Try cuddling.

/offtopic
um... not really a good idea to do that...
eventually, youll end up like me.
can't sleep without boyfriend at side....:KS
/offtopic