PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Question, 32-bit to 64-bit

wrwarwick
September 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I recently completed an Ubuntu install on my laptop with 32-bit Jaunty. I have 4 gigs of RAM in my system so am thinking of moving to 64-bit. I know I cannot just upgrade - but I have my /home directory on another partition and would like to keep that through the install.

I know the basics of doing this during the install but was wondering if there will be any security/permission issues when I do this. Will the new, 64-bit Ubuntu be able to read all the files with a different user account? Or will I have to take ownership of the files with the new OS?

stlsaint
September 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
well ubuntu will offer you to import your current user into the new install during the install setup...should you not for some strange reason come across this option than back out before final steps to install and you can do a backup of home using the simple backup suite from synap repos...after that you can install and re-install the simple suite again and use it to restore your /home without needed to change anything..once again if for some strang reason you must change permissions it will be very easy via cli!