PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Activate window (Calculator)

Wild_Doogy
September 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
2nd time installing Ubuntu on my computer, went back to windows for games over the summer, and I am really loving 9.04.

I just installed Qalculate and got it to replace the normal calculator, but I have one problem/grievance: When I press the calculator button on my keyboard, Qcalulator opens up just fine, EVEN if I ALREADY have one open. this makes logical sense from the computer's point of view, but I am wondering if it would be possible to have Ubuntu search to see if its already running and "bring that window to top" if it finds it?

guessing I am going to need a bash script or something of the sort, but I have no idea how I would do this.

Wild_Doogy

Giblet5
September 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
That's the default behavior.

To clarify: you want a "launch-new/raise-existing-to-current-desktop" script?

That depends on a lot of things like what desktop you use, how many screens you have defined, multiple desktops, etc.

It can be done, sure, but if you aren't a shell programmer I'd recommend using the taskbar or Avant then look at it and see if it's open already.

Wild_Doogy
September 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM

To clarify: you want a "launch-new/raise-existing-to-current-desktop" script?

Yes,exactly.

That depends on a lot of things like what desktop you use, how many screens you have defined, multiple desktops, etc.

It can be done, sure, but if you aren't a shell programmer I'd recommend using the taskbar or Avant then look at it and see if it's open already.

Ok, sounds like I should just deal with it. Not too much of a problem, when I am doing school work, I shouldn't have any other windows open anyways.

(I'll just close Youtube now :P)

Wild_Doogy

kaibob
September 25th, 2009, 01:22 AM
You can try the following, which works for me. You have to change the command to start the program and the title, which is a portion or all of the text string shown in the title bar. Qalculate would be good because it's unique.

I dont' know if wmctrl is installed by default. If not, it's small and in the repo's.

#!/bin/sh

command="/path/to/Qalculate"
title="Qalculate"

running=$(wmctrl -l | fgrep -o -m 1 "$title")

if [ "$running" ] ; then
wmctrl -a "$title"
else
$command
fi

EDIT 11.14.09

I found an alternative approach that does the same thing but works a bit faster. It uses the xdotool utility, which is in the repo's. For example:

#!/bin/sh

title="Mozilla Firefox"
command="firefox"

number=$(xdotool search -title "$title")

if [ "$number" ] ; then
xdotool windowactivate "$number"
else
$command
fi

EDIT: 04.25.10

I found a third approach that is simplest by far and, based on some timing runs, is actually the fastest. The following is a sample that loads Firefox:

#!/bin/sh

title="Mozilla Firefox"

command="firefox"

wmctrl -a "$title" || $command

BTW, the second approach, involving the xdotool utility, does not work correctly under compiz with lucid. I don't know why.

Wild_Doogy
September 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks Kaibob! That did the trick.

I had to install wmctrl

sudo apt-get install wmctrl

and I had to do a little editing to the script, thanks for writing the code for me, works like a charm.

#!/bin/sh

command="gcalctool" # command to run the program
title="Qalcula" # part of the window title.

running=$(wmctrl -l | fgrep -o -m 1 "$title")

if [ "$running" ] ; then
wmctrl -a "$title"
else
$command
fi

I then saved this to a file called test.sh and set "Allow executing file as program" in properties, under the Permissions tab.

every time I click on it, it brings my program to the top, running a new one if there isn't one running.

Wild_Doogy