PDA

View Full Version : prefer lts

missmoondog
September 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
just kind of looking for opinions on replacing the current dual boot set up i have of xp pro/xubuntu 9.04 with a clean install of xubuntu 8.04lts on the entire drive?

if i'm doing the linux thing, again, i prefer the long term support offered from 8.04.

does 8.04 runs as sweet as this 9.04 is! as astable?

edit:
will be used mainly just for browsing, e-mail and cd burning. nothing to tricky!
i'm not totally inept in linux. have been using it as a dual boot for a few years now.

thank you

ukripper
September 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
just kind of looking for opinions on replacing the current dual boot set up i have of xp pro/xubuntu 9.04 with a clean install of xubuntu 8.04lts on the entire drive?

if i'm doing the linux thing, again, i prefer the long term support offered from 8.04.

does 8.04 runs as sweet as this 9.04 is! as astable?

thank you

Depends on what you are trying to achieve from the setup?

ajgreeny
September 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
It will also possibly depend on your hardware. Some hardware is much better supported in 9.04 than it was in 8.04. Try live CD of 8.04 and see if everything works; if it does you're OK to install. Wireless and graphics are the most likely to be a problem, followed by sound, but try it out, you've nothing to loose.

missmoondog
September 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
It will also possibly depend on your hardware. Some hardware is much better supported in 9.04 than it was in 8.04. Try live CD of 8.04 and see if everything works; if it does you're OK to install. Wireless and graphics are the most likely to be a problem, followed by sound, but try it out, you've nothing to loose.

i just tried that. after exiting it and rebooting, when i hit the option to boot xubuntu, it just bounces back to that option over and over. i have to enter the menu and pick xubuntu that way. didn't check to see if i messed up my windows boot. (on a different computer now)

how do i fix that now?
edit:
fixed. some how the kernel from the 8.04 version got loaded into the mbr. removed it and all is well again.