PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ltsp or other for a terminal or remote desktop

ookooboontoo
September 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
HI ALL,

I have no experience of LTSP or the like before so I will give you the scenario and hope you can come up with ideas.

I have a Viglen MPC-L which is a great litle unit, but not very powerful. I would like to have the ability to have a full Ubuntu desktop that was not slow, and could be used to do all the things I want it to, but from the MPC-L in another room which has no fan and makes no noise.

It may also be useful to access a windows desktop environment to in case the Kids need something on that, but we don't want to all cram into the office.

It would be useful to also have the MPC to work as a unit alone on other occassions so that I can take it with me to show off its worth to others.

At home I would probably hardwire it to the LAN rather than WiFi to improve speed and reduce setup, though I may try it in future.

So I think that I need, a multi boot or USB boot to at least 2 systems possibly 3 if Windows needs something else.

Sould I go for LTSP or some Kind of remote desktop? The idea is that the faster computer is running at the same time. I have never had a server, but would it be best to have the 'fast' unit as server with desktop to allow fo network printing etc?

I would be happy to change the base OS if a faster one could work well :)

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers