PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Program?

GreenDance
September 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hi, I have some broadcast work to do, is their a suitable video editing program for ubuntu?, i hope so :), i don't want to have to buy an apple mac.

Many Thanks!

bichopro
September 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Pitivi work for me

coldReactive
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
+1 for pitivi as well. Only problems I had were when I tried dragging around split parts of clips.

keiichidono
September 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Pitivi, Openshot, Kdenlive, take your pick.

GreenDance
September 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks Very Much! :)

daverich
September 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Kdenlive - but USE THE LATEST VERSION OF KDE AND KDENLIVE -vvvery important for your stress levels ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

sudoer541
September 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I used openshot and it was very stable.
It is still in development but its moving quickly compared to other video editors.
so my vote goes to openshot.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I actually had a look into this lately and here were my results! ^_^

Pitivi - Nice simple, polished interface and worked well, but didn't seem TOO fully featured - I couldn't do text within the videos or effects for example.

Kdenlive - Looked great and seemed to have lots of features (was a little overly complex but only a little), but unfortunately I really couldn't get much to work :(

Cinelerra - Probably fantastic, but quite ugly and difficult to use.

Openshot - Didn't really check this one out too much, it didn't look very mature/complete... is it any good?

Open Movie Editor - Couldn't get much out of this one, I think it just crashed quite quickly :(

But yeah that was my experience! The strongest seem to be Pitivi, kdenlive and Cinelerra, but yeah I had problems with all 3 ._.

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
If you already have experience, Cinelerra isn't as hard to use as people think. You won't find anything more feature rich than Cinelerra. It's only hard to use if you're doing advanced things. For simple things, it's not really that hard.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
If you already have experience, Cinelerra isn't as hard to use as people think. You won't find anything more feature rich than Cinelerra. It's only hard to use if you're doing advanced things. For simple things, it's not really that hard.

Hm ok, well said Indy! :D

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hm ok, well said Indy! :D

I forgot to mention that you should definitely use the CV version of Cinelerra. It's updated more, and they have an Ubuntu repo. ;)

GreenDance
October 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have received some AVIs from VHS tapes, quality is not very good, which program (if any) would be good to clean the picture and sound up,

many thanks.

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.getdeb.net/app/LiVES - LiVES
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Kino - Kino

Those both are .deb direct install links to get the Ubuntu versions of those app's. Those look promising but I only do photo editing and graphic design so not much experience here. Try them out or take other ppl's word for it if they have more experience with video editing on *Nix/Ubuntu.

GreenDance
October 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.getdeb.net/app/LiVES - LiVES
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Kino - Kino

Those both are .deb direct install links to get the Ubuntu versions of those app's. Those look promising but I only do photo editing and graphic design so not much experience here. Try them out or take other ppl's word for it if they have more experience with video editing on *Nix/Ubuntu.

thank you

hessiess
October 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Blender.

bit mad
October 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM
OpenShot has really impressed me with the way it has been developed by one programmer. The blog http://www.openshotvideo.com/ shows how he has assessed frameworks and programming languages, and made very good progress with the lone effort - the number of features added in such short time... wow! It loads my MJPEG MOV files no problem, and even the newfangled AVCHD Lite 720p MTS clips too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131608&stc=1&d=1255282279

However, from following the progress with interest from afar, I've just made the effort to load it up and see what it's like to drive.

I'm disappointed to find that he seems to have made a wrong turn with the user interface. He has gone down the "tools" route of photo editors and PDF viewers - making the number of actions with the normal mouse pointer very limited until you select a specific tool and then the pointer changes... etc.

This makes sense with a photo editor or PDF viewer because with those kind of applications there is no concept of "current" position. You can't leave a cursor or something positioned somewhere and then move the mouse pointer away to select an action - but with a video editor you can because there's a vertical line marking the current position on the timeline, so the "tools" approach is clumsy.

For example, if you want to trim a clip to remove the shaky bits at the start and end? With Kdenlive, and the Windows freebie "VideoPad" you simply click on the side of a clip in the timeline and drag it to change the length of the clip. Simple and intuitive. Not so in OpenShot which forces you to click the resize button, changing into resize mode with a new mouse pointer appearance, and then do exactly what you could have quite easily done without all that mucking about!

The ideal NLE interface can achieve wonders without tools and mouse pointer "modes" - it's not difficult to find places on a timeline clip to click on to achieve what he's trying to do with tool modes. It seems to be particularly ridiculous to have to select a "razor tool" mode to split a clip into two - and "fly blind" when it comes to placing the "razor" and where exactly the split happens. Why not just pause playback where you want the split to happen - WHILE ABLE TO SEE on the monitor where you are... and then press a simple button (or key combo) to do it?

I hope the programmer has a good think about this and changes the approach. He's obviously very talented and much of OpenShot shows huge potential. I just hope he stops and thinks..... maybe has a play with other NLE software..... and then realises how much easier he could make it for his users :)

madjr
October 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
OpenShot has really impressed me with the way it has been developed by one programmer. The blog http://www.openshotvideo.com/ shows how he has assessed frameworks and programming languages, and made very good progress with the lone effort - the number of features added in such short time... wow! It loads my MJPEG MOV files no problem, and even the newfangled AVCHD Lite 720p MTS clips too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131608&stc=1&d=1255282279

However, from following the progress with interest from afar, I've just made the effort to load it up and see what it's like to drive.

I'm disappointed to find that he seems to have made a wrong turn with the user interface. He has gone down the "tools" route of photo editors and PDF viewers - making the number of actions with the normal mouse pointer very limited until you select a specific tool and then the pointer changes... etc.

This makes sense with a photo editor or PDF viewer because with those kind of applications there is no concept of "current" position. You can't leave a cursor or something positioned somewhere and then move the mouse pointer away to select an action - but with a video editor you can because there's a vertical line marking the current position on the timeline, so the "tools" approach is clumsy.

For example, if you want to trim a clip to remove the shaky bits at the start and end? With Kdenlive, and the Windows freebie "VideoPad" you simply click on the side of a clip in the timeline and drag it to change the length of the clip. Simple and intuitive. Not so in OpenShot which forces you to click the resize button, changing into resize mode with a new mouse pointer appearance, and then do exactly what you could have quite easily done without all that mucking about!

The ideal NLE interface can achieve wonders without tools and mouse pointer "modes" - it's not difficult to find places on a timeline clip to click on to achieve what he's trying to do with tool modes. It seems to be particularly ridiculous to have to select a "razor tool" mode to split a clip into two - and "fly blind" when it comes to placing the "razor" and where exactly the split happens. Why not just pause playback where you want the split to happen - WHILE ABLE TO SEE on the monitor where you are... and then press a simple button (or key combo) to do it?

I hope the programmer has a good think about this and changes the approach. He's obviously very talented and much of OpenShot shows huge potential. I just hope he stops and thinks..... maybe has a play with other NLE software..... and then realises how much easier he could make it for his users :)

well of course i hope you reported/suggested this on his blog so he improve on it

he's very open to suggestion at this moment, but you need to let him know and not on some random thread he may never see

oh and +1 to openshot which just got 30+ different effects and some nice improvements/bugs fixed

hoppipolla
October 12th, 2009, 04:20 AM
well of course i hope you reported/suggested this on his blog so he improve on it

he's very open to suggestion at this moment, but you need to let him know and not on some random thread he may never see

what if he is reading this thread right now? O.O

bit mad
October 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Yes it did get a mention on the blog :) .... and he seems very receptive to such comments - and says that he may well change the user interface to accomodate these issues.

An excellent response which once again proves how, sometimes (if not often) a "one-man band" developer who is really on the ball can outdo a design-by-committee team effort.
I remain very impressed by OpenShot's development. Thanks and Well Done J.T. =D>