PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Changing desktop manager - permanently

SPARTAN-118
September 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hi all, SPARTAN-118 here.

Just like to know how to change the window manager - permanently - so that I don't have to switch it using Alt+F2 and type "emerald --replace" every time I log in. I tell you, it's a real pain in the ***** to have to switch this every single time I start my computer...

And yes, I use Compiz+Emerald for my windows/desktop effects.
I can't find good enough Metacity borders.

renkinjutsu
September 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM
system/preferences/startup applications

just add your command there and check the box for your task

or, you can get rid of gdm and have your own .xinitrc

mcduck
September 24th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hi all, SPARTAN-118 here.

Just like to know how to change the window manager - permanently - so that I don't have to switch it using Alt+F2 and type "emerald --replace" every time I log in. I tell you, it's a real pain in the ***** to have to switch this every single time I start my computer...

And yes, I use Compiz+Emerald for my windows/desktop effects.
I can't find good enough Metacity borders.

If you want to use Emerald as the default decorrator for Compiz, just change the setting in CompizConfig Settings Manager, under Window Decoration-plugin's settings. There's an option for telling what decorator Compiz shuld load by default, just change that to "/usr/bin/emerald".

(If you just add "emerald -replace" to Gnome's startup, you'll end first starting GWD and then replacing it with Emerald, when you could just load the correct decorator in the first place.)

SPARTAN-118
September 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
If you want to use Emerald as the default decorrator for Compiz, just change the setting in CompizConfig Settings Manager, under Window Decoration-plugin's settings. There's an option for telling what decorator Compiz shuld load by default, just change that to "/usr/bin/emerald".

(If you just add "emerald -replace" to Gnome's startup, you'll end first starting GWD and then replacing it with Emerald, when you could just load the correct decorator in the first place.)

Ok, thanks I think that worked!

BTW how do you add [SOLVED] to the actual thread title? Change the prefix? How do you do that to an already-created thread?

NVM didn't see Thread Tools...

Thanks!