PDA

View Full Version : Nero Linux 4!

SuicideSmurf
September 24th, 2009, 03:08 AM
<<Erased smurfiness>>

sudoer541
September 24th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Now with extra bloat features!

Actually it's really nice, give it a try (http://www.nero.com/enu/linux4.html).

Thank you for supporting nero. I will buy it

HappyFeet
September 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
No thanks. Brasero and K3B work fine.

Tipped OuT
September 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
And this is how we thank Nero for supporting Linux?

Pshhh no wonder...

3rdalbum
September 24th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Pshhh no wonder...

Merely releasing something that runs on Linux is not enough. Nero Linux is a toy compared to K3B or Nero for Windows.

Nero Linux is about on a par with Brasero. Considering that Brasero has not been around for as long and has no paid developers, that's *very* sad.

When Nero Linux has a video editor and DVD authoring (including menus and transcoding footage from other formats), like the Windows version, *then* we can thank Nero. And then I'll buy it.

Tipped OuT
September 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Merely releasing something that runs on Linux is not enough. Nero Linux is a toy compared to K3B or Nero for Windows.

Nero Linux is about on a par with Brasero. Considering that Brasero has not been around for as long and has no paid developers, that's *very* sad.

When Nero Linux has a video editor and DVD authoring (including menus and transcoding footage from other formats), like the Windows version, *then* we can thank Nero. And then I'll buy it.

Well how about still showing some appreciation, instead of kicking it the curve and saying it sucks (I know that wasn't what you exactly said, but just giving an example).

Just because they're paid, doesn't mean they're the best. They're just paid. Linux is a different operating system, and it uses different programming languages... different drivers. So it'll take some time to get used to and be able to integrate all of those features the Windows version has, into the Linux version.

Give them time.

kaibob
September 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I upgraded from Nero Linux version 3 to 4 a few days ago. Unfortunately, there isn't really all that much that is new. There's a wizard-driven interface called Nero Linux Express, but it's offers too few options for my tastes. Nero Linux now has the ability to create DOS and Linux boot disks, which is nice. I had hoped that they would add Nero Recode for Linux but no such luck.

Anyways, I rely heavily on Nero Linux, and the upgrade cost was minimal, so I was happy to support the effort.

fidelandche
September 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I have had to use Nero because Brasero will not work for me in Jaunty!!!

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Pshhh no wonder...

no joke. and people STILL cry about companies not supporting *nix. sometimes you people just don't make sense at all.

Exodist
September 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM

I have to agree. If it was as good as its windows counterpart I would have it installed right now.

pvfjr
September 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
All the video and DVD features in the windows version is what set nero apart for me (Recode especially). Without that, it's pointless really. I can burn data with anything.

abhilashm86
September 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM

i would give a try if it was open-source!! lets spread open-source, whats more in it, we have k3b.......
there is nautilus burner, burns like jet speed!!

SuicideSmurf
September 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
<<Erased smurfiness>>

Exodist
September 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I honestly think K3B is hands down the best CD/DVD creation software suite out hands down. I just wish we had a Gnome/GTK equivalent. Brasero is a joke, really it is. Instead of making a useless apt they should have spent more time building on an existing apt like GnomeBaker. In addition Brasero should have followed a more common model for disc creation software like K3B and Nero both share. I have been actualy thinking of taking up on this and doing so myself. But if they put this gnomehell, coff coff *shell in I am done with gnome, thus I am worried about wasting my time on something I wouldnt be using in the future. Well there is always XFCE..

mikewhatever
September 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try it too. Not promising to buy though.

koleoptero
September 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

And as always off topic: I want that wallpaper you have there.

misfitpierce
September 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM
On windows Nero was a big thing since the built in software on windows... well sucked. On Ubuntu though I find brasero and other free apps to be able to do everything the same if not better and lighter. I see no real reason to support Nero on linux in my honest opinion.

stinger30au
September 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
no joke. and people STILL cry about companies not supporting *nix. sometimes you people just don't make sense at all.

it makes perfect sense when a company like this offers a product that is about 10 years old

wake me up when they have ported at least version 6 of nero to linux

nero 3 for windows had more to offer then this

i bet that "Ahead" will winge and cry that no one wants to buy it and with draw the progam soon from sale

but if they used some brains and sold something that is half way decent and just as good as version 6, i will gladly put my money where my mouth/fingers are and buy a copy

till then, no thanks

benmoran
September 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Completely pointless to buy something like this. I can understand buying a proprietary program is there is no other alternative, but Nero Linux is trying to fill a gap that doesn't need to be filled.

This offers no advantage over available free software alternatives. Why would anyone pay for something that's less featured? I just don't understand...

If you want to support quality software on Linux, donate money to k3b/Brasero/Gnomebaker/etc. teams. Donations along with feature/bug fix requests usually go a long way.

Swagman
September 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
K3B is an awesome programme IF/WHEN you install all the bits that don't get "pre-installed" with each installation.

Installing K3B on fresh installs (for other people) is the one thing I hate because I can never remember everything I installed. I usually get a phone call... "It says something is missing" and I think "oh yeah, I forgot about that" and can't remember what I did to sort it.

A googling I will go

AGAIN !!

tbh that's probably my age. It really sucks not being able to remember stuff you spent ages googling in the first place.

oh.. re: OP

Yeah I installed Nero ages ago hoping for the DVD recode/authoring only to be disappointed too. I would've paid up to about £30 for that which I think is pretty decent considering it comes free with just about every new drive for windows !!

szymon_g
September 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
thanx for info about new version.
For me- it works much better than brasero. I don't wanna use k3b, because i don't like to have to many things installed (i mean: libraries etc). Thanx gods it isn't bloated like its windows equivalent- i dont need DVD-manipulating-things, i just need dvd-burner etc. I stopped using Nero (on windows) because it had to many useless (for me) options.
I'll buy it :)

3rdalbum
September 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
K3B is an awesome programme IF/WHEN you install all the bits that don't get "pre-installed" with each installation.

Installing K3B on fresh installs (for other people) is the one thing I hate because I can never remember everything I installed. I usually get a phone call... "It says something is missing" and I think "oh yeah, I forgot about that" and can't remember what I did to sort it.

The K3B preferences panel has a section called "Programs". It lists everything you need and puts a tick alongside what you have.

I think the Ubuntu package basically pulls in all dependencies except eMovix, and I think most people aren't interested in eMovix.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
it makes perfect sense when a company like this offers a product that is about 10 years old

wake me up when they have ported at least version 6 of nero to linux

nero 3 for windows had more to offer then this

i bet that "Ahead" will winge and cry that no one wants to buy it and with draw the progam soon from sale

but if they used some brains and sold something that is half way decent and just as good as version 6, i will gladly put my money where my mouth/fingers are and buy a copy

till then, no thanks

out of curiosity, what does version 6 offer over version 3? burning DVD's and CD's hasn't changed that much.

for me k3b is great, although i'm in gnome and it looks a bit silly. for windows i use cdburnerxp, which is free and fantastic (also compatible with Vista)

bruno9779
September 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM

An half-asses version of a very popular app like Nero is really more making fun of *nix than supporting

Tipped OuT
September 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
for windows i use cdburnerxp, which is free and fantastic (also compatible with Vista)

Yeah, me too. :)

Tipped OuT
September 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
An half-asses version of a very popular app like Nero is really more making fun of *nix than supporting

Just be grateful they're even attempting to give support for Linux. Sheesh, always wanting so much out of people...

ddrichardson
September 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Just be grateful they're even attempting to give support for Linux. Sheesh, always wanting so much out of people...
You've said that a couple of times but i'm not sure why. Are you greatful that Nero supports Windows?

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM

considering the condescending attitude towards closed source apps, it's no wonder, apparently.

Tipped OuT
September 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You've said that a couple of times but i'm not sure why. Are you greatful that Nero supports Windows?

Yes, because at least they're trying to. Nero is pretty much the number one choice when it comes to burning CD/DVD's. They want to try to support us? Well right on.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Rubbish!

I've been using NeroLinux since its version 2.*.

I have used K3B, & it failed for me in the worst way; even when told to verify, I found sometime later when I have need of the data on the media that it is corrupt.

Unlike most users, I often burn more than 10 DVD's at a time, so when 99% of users say they have perfect results, they have not been putting the Linux burning software under the same load that I do.

The above might be what you require from NeroLinux.

All I require from a Linux DVD burner is 100% reliability.

The only Linux DVD burning software that I have found which gives me that, is NeroLinux, & it has been giving me that since version 2.*.

I doubt that version 4 has regressed.

You may not need a Linux DVD burning app' that does what I need it to, so you would therefore never know that the ones you use are inferior.

I understand where you are coming from.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have to agree. If it was as good as its windows counterpart I would have it installed right now.

So you would of course be willing therefore to pay what the windows users pay for it? Instead of the measly amount that Ahead ask its Linux users to pay.

sudoer541
September 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
no joke. And people still cry about companies not supporting *nix. Sometimes you people just don't make sense at all.

+1

sudoer541
September 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
opensource is awesome, but just because something is proprietary, it doesn't make it evil. There's enough room for both.

+1

ddrichardson
September 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, because at least they're trying to. Nero is pretty much the number one choice when it comes to burning CD/DVD's. They want to try to support us? Well right on.
If they produce good software that people want to buy then their business model works, regardless of operating system, you don't buy software because it's available but because it meets a need within price.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that available for Linux is the same as supporting Linux. In fact, if you're going to buy something simply because it was made available for Linux then what is the developers incentive to improve it?

As for number one, that's subjective. I would be surprised if the number of people utilising remastering features outweighed the number of users (on Ubuntu) who simply need to burn a disc, something that not only does Ubuntu do in a default install but so does Windows.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have read through all of the posts in this thread, & I must say I'm very disappointed but I'm not really surprised.

The amount of ignorant bias displayed in this thread is what I have come to expect from people who speak strongly about things that they in truth do not know about. Which happens so often in this part of the Ubuntu forums.

Use something; if it works for you, then great.

If it doesn't; then keep looking.

If something does work for you, don't all of a sudden decide that it will work for everyone else in the world. That is the attitude of a fundamentalist. Fundamentalists are the ones who are warmongers (Though they usually don't know it themselves).

bruno9779
September 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM

You get me wrong.
I don't want anything. It is Nero's developers that want to claim they support Linux, when this is a really lame versiono of Nero, with limited capabilities.

Maybe it could have been a shareware version, where you have to pay for the full product.

Charging for this is a crime

kelvin spratt
September 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Nero Linux is 100% reliable I burn countless DVDs a day with Nero,
When I use Kb3 I get errors,
Brasero gives reasonable results but is not consistent.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You get me wrong.
I don't want anything. It is Nero's developers that want to claim they support Linux, when this is a really lame versiono of Nero, with limited capabilities.

Maybe it could have been a shareware version, where you have to pay for the full product.

NeroLinux is cheap as chips, what more do you want from them?

They (from my experience) produce the most reliable burning software; they were the first (I believe) to provide multi-session burning in Linux, & they keep on improving their software, though it is just as likely that they don't even sell enough of it at this stage for it to be profitable.

Use whatever works for you & allow others to do the same. If a Linux user chooses to actually pay for software that should not be a reason to denigrate the software or the user.

As I have said before, I have been using NeroLinux since version 2., & it has always been 100% reliable even when burning many disks one after another, which is when all of the other Linux burning app's have failed me.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM
You get me wrong.

again, what is in the newer versions that's so needed?

handy
September 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
NeroLinux 4.0, upgrade is $12- U.S.,(depending on the version you are upgrading from).

The full downloadable version costs $20- U.S.

I think that Ahead are being very reasonable with their prices, very reasonable.

Those that compare NeroLinux with NeroWindows aren't taking into consideration the big difference in price, or the fact that NeroLinux is reliable in heavy load situations where the free (in price) burners have thus far proved themselves to still be unreliable.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
again, what is in the newer versions that's so needed?

Have a look at the Nero site for the details?

Personally, I don't need any more than what 3.5 gives me.

Some new Linux users may appreciate the new wizard-style interface.

It seems that Ahead are working towards bringing the features that windows users are used to into the Linux world. Which is fine by me.

Time will tell.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Have a look at the Nero site for the details?

why should i? i'm not the one whining about "missing features" or it not being "good enough". i want to know from specific posters what's missing. reading the features on the newest versions doesn't tell me that info. thanks for trying.

handy
September 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
why should i? i'm not the one whining about "missing features" or it not being "good enough". i want to know from specific posters what's missing. reading the features on the newest versions doesn't tell me that info. thanks for trying.

Oh! Sorry, I didn't realise that you were looking to be spoon fed.

ddrichardson
September 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
If something does work for you, don't all of a sudden decide that it will work for everyone else in the world. That is the attitude of a fundamentalist. Fundamentalists are the ones who are warmongers (Though they usually don't know it themselves).
You're confusing fundamentalism (a strict adherance to a set of principles) with extremism or radicalism.

A good example would be a Buddhist monk, fundamentaly following a daily ritual - hardly warmongering.

wxnker
September 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I've been using Nero Linux 3.x in Ubuntu and Mandriva for quite some time and I love it. It never fails on me. Brasero on the other hand, has given me several bad burns. Compared to K3B I much prefer Nero and it's GTK look. I haven't found K3B to be stable since the move to KDE4.

I bought Nero. It's cheap and it works. I don't understand anyone complaining, that it's not up to date with the Windows versions. I say, thank God it isn't. Nero 8+9 try to do way to much and end up being bloated. I much prefer the 6 & 7 versions in Windows.

Until now I'm happy with 3.5, but I may consider the rather cheap upgrade sometime in the future.

Tibuda
September 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I bought Nero. It's cheap and it works. I don't understand anyone complaining, that it's not up to date with the Windows versions. I say, thank God it isn't. Nero 8+9 try to do way to much and end up being bloated. I much prefer the 6 & 7 versions in Windows.

Quoted for truth. I say the same for Skype.

koleoptero
September 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I see a rapid deterioration of the thread to kicks and punches. =D>

ElSlunko
September 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I don't burn much (yet) but if I did I'd pay for reliability. Especially if it was part of my business to burn many DVDs.

Exodist
September 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
So you would of course be willing therefore to pay what the windows users pay for it? Instead of the measly amount that Ahead ask its Linux users to pay.
Yea.

I also remember at one time being able to download the linux version if you had already purchased a windows version, via the activation code. Many times when we purchase a boxed CD/DVD burners around here it comes with a basic Nero which still has lots of functionality. I would very much so enjoy getting a linux version when I purchase a new drive.

koleoptero
September 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yea.

I also remember at one time being able to download the linux version if you had already purchased a windows version, via the activation code. Many times when we purchase a boxed CD/DVD burners around here it comes with a basic Nero which still has lots of functionality. I would very much so enjoy getting a linux version when I purchase a new drive.

Amen to that.

ddrichardson
September 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Amen to that.
There used to be a motherboard manufacturer, I forget who, that supplied a customised Linux distro with their boards. This was about ten years ago when socket seven boards with integrated everything were popular.

koleoptero
September 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
There used to be a motherboard manufacturer, I forget who, that supplied a customised Linux distro with their boards. This was about ten years ago when socket seven boards with integrated everything were popular.

You can get linux from many sources, like magazines, books, etc. I have tested many distros in the past (when 128k isdn was like THE speed) thanks to those. But there aren't many sources where you can get applications like nerolinux, or other pay-for apps for free. So since you DO get some app with a cdburner, and since most of them give Nero, giving nerolinux alongside the windows version would be nice. I doubt anyone doubts the reliability of nero.

northwestuntu
September 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM

sweet!!

northwestuntu
September 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM

totally disagree. if your just talking about addons i can see what your saying, but i don't like all that other junk. that's why i still use nero 6 on windows. on linux though it's been rock solid.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM

you need to comprehend more. use your brain. am i supposed to GUESS what features they seem are important to them? think about it, son.

SuicideSmurf
September 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
you need to comprehend more. use your brain. am i supposed to GUESS what features they seem are important to them? think about it, son.

If you want to start another pointless argument, go and make your own thread and get the hell out of mine.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
If you want to start another pointless argument, go and make your own thread and get the hell out of mine.

it's totally relevant. nobody wants to say what features they feel are missing from v3 to v6 that they need.

so i'll stick around in "your" thread, thanks.

mikewhatever
September 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Guys, keep it civil, no need for flame wars.

SuicideSmurf
September 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
it's totally relevant. nobody wants to say what features they feel are missing from v3 to v6 that they need.

so i'll stick around in "your" thread, thanks.

No you won't because I'll just ask a mod to close it. Take your b$ elsewhere.

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
No you won't because I'll just ask a mod to close it. Take your b$ elsewhere.

sorry to hear that you think it's b.s. it's relevant to the discussion at hand. cry away if you feel you need to.

SuicideSmurf
September 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
sorry to hear that you think it's b.s. it's relevant to the discussion at hand. cry away if you feel you need to.

Hmmm, so you're the resident troll. Understood.

ElSlunko
September 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.nero.com/enu/linux4-features.html

annnnnd

http://www.gtpcc.org/gtpcc/nero6ultra.htm

annnnnd

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero9-features.html

bruno9779
September 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I agree with pwnst*r, in that asking what is someone's opinion and reading a load of marketing crap, has really nothing in common,

but I also think we should keep it civilized.....

overdrank
September 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Closed for review Ok this thread will remain close since the original post was removed.