PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Question

jyank
February 9th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Not sure if this would be the best place to put this, but I had a general question about laptops/compatibility. Lately, I've noticed due to my gaming habits I've been using windows 90% the time, and since I've been dual booting, the ubuntu partition is eating up some space that is kind of a waste, so I've decided to get rid of it.

I've been looking around for an affordable (in USD) laptop that is going to give me limited hassle during configuration, and will be what I use for everything else other than playing games. I don't need anything fancy, just looking for something to use gaim, xchat, email, browse, and maybe some music. Of course, I'd also enjoy brining it from class to class with me so rather than writing stuff down I can type it up, which, for me is easier and more legible.

Is there a brand I should be looking at? I've looked around on newegg, dell and sunch, but the compatibility was what I was questioning. Idealy, I'd want to maybe spend in the $600ish range (tax returns), although I feel I might be undershooting that. Now, I know I can buy some cheapos on e-bay, but I'd atleast like it to be somewhat fast.

Thanks

towsonu2003
February 9th, 2006, 03:52 AM
If I understand this correctly, you want a cheap laptop that will work with ubuntu without a hassle? If so, try this link http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to see if it gives you any feedback. Also, try the hcl (hardware compatibility list) in linuxquestions.org.
and this link is what works nicely with ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

I would prbably do this: burn a livecd (or better yet, take one that ubuntu ships itself, as they look much better!) and test it at home. put it in your bag and go to a local store (not one of those big corporate stores like best buy). tell the salesperson very very kindly that you are looking for a cheap laptop that works in linux, and that you are ready to buy one if s/he can help you (and be sure that you will buy it if it works!). s/he will say "we dont support linux". take out your livecd and ask him/her whether you can boot the laptop you are interested in with the livecd. very kindly, assure the salesperson that it does not change anything in the laptop and the laptop will go back to its original condition once you reboot it without the cd.

if s/he says "hell no!" (or just "no thanks"), well, try another local store. it is very understandable that s/he'll say no, because you dont want a stranger putting a weird burnt cd in your product and screwing it with something you have no idea what...

good luck ;)

jyank
February 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the link to that site, should be pretty helpfull \\:D/