PDA

View Full Version : Strange Cravings from the Deep

Maupertus
February 9th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I was browsing a distro list and although I know I'm making things hard on myself by running an AMD64, I just wanted to ask:

Am I the only one that wants to try them all?

I mean, it's very nice to have a Distro chooser and although one of the reasons I want to use Linux is the Opensource aspect and hence a couple of distro's will never be used out of principle, I can't help wanting to try them all out.

I've used SuSe way back, and I just read somethings about the new boxed book+cd set and started to get "the urge" and I got the same vibe when I visited the Arch and Gentoo sites.

There are two reasons for this 'craving'.
One, it's to easy to install a new distro, at least in most cases, it's no problem at all, so that's no hurdle to take.
Two, there's to much to choose! Ubuntu is now the only Distro I use on this system, and I'm content with it, but I keep wondering how some of the others would be.

In a way I feel like some straying husband, although I'm happily married, I'm looking at everything that's coming my way ;)

So I was wondering if I was the only one with this ailment.

midwinter
February 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I certainly want to try a few more but not all ;)

I'm loving Arch at the moment but in the next few days i'll probably try the 64bit port of that and I already have a Gentoo cd ready to go in the next few weeks.. I do just want to settle with one but I have to try a few to see what's out there.

The choice is great, though.

matthew
February 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I've tried many...it's actually quite fun as well as educational. I say go ahead and try all that you want to try and you will then be able to understand the differences/similarities and make informed decisions on what you want/need. Enjoy!

prizrak
February 9th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Yay I'm not the only one. I'm soooo damn bored with Ubuntu, damn thing just works for some reason.

YourSurrogateGod
February 9th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Hehehe... I like this thread.

Mustard
February 9th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I know the feeling you get when you have everything up and running and there is no more 'excitment' to be gained from overcoming some hurdle. I haven't made the step of trying another distro yet, but the urge is definitely there. I did install win98se on another hard drive to play Medieval Total War, so that filled some time up for a couple of days. :)

I've also started trying my hand at compiling from source the latest versions of different programs on my system, or scouring sourceforge and freshmeat for stuff to to play with.

Iandefor
February 9th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Yay I'm not the only one. I'm soooo damn bored with Ubuntu, damn thing just works for some reason. I think that's a bug. The devs are busy throwing random semicolons into the code and seeing how well that works at breaking it :).