PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it safe to come back yet??

collinge
September 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I used to have ubuntu installed when it was 8.something ... most of everything was fine- there are some compromises you have to make if u are switching from windows, but whatever. I love compiz and all of the eye candy. After I upgraded to the new 9.something nothing but problems... i use a dell and dell sucks.. i know.. but i could not use AWN or compiz or anything.. i was forced to download...FEDORA...sorry... i have put linux on several of my friends computers but i have noticed that 9. is very very slow @ startup. > 7 min. slow... and my internet is always slower on ubuntu... i was just wondering if any of these bugs been fixed yet?? Do i need to wait for the next version. 10.something??

theDaveTheRave
September 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Collinge

I must admit to having similar trouble when I upgraded to Hardy from Gusty, but with my wireles.

This made me very cautious of going onto Intrepid. But again when I made the jump it was all hell and horrors, so I quickly returned to Hardy.

However over christmas I re did the Intrepid move and everything has worked out OK (although changes in the wireless / network manager took a while to solve).

I haven't even contemplated heading over to Karmic as of yet. I'm generally 6 months behind the cycle, as this is my only system, and I can't do with having it only half working!

I've got some friends at my uni who aren't so "linux geeky" and I wait for them to say how wonderfull the new version of Ubuntu is before I go for it myself - I figure if it works OK for them, I should be able to handle any problems! As of yet I don't think that any of them are using Karmic.

At least you haven't gone back to the big blue screen, I've been forced onto vista on my works terminal, but I still have the server running Ubuntu... so if I need a "geek fix" I can always remote log onto the server for it.

David

shaunsmith_99
September 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hey, I'm not as versed in the dynamics of the #bash terminal as some head beans here - but let me give you my .02. I've been an on-again-off-again ubuntu user and I've been dabbling with Linux since Corel make their crappy version.. :P

I used Fiesty first, and struggled with much of what you did. I decided that I would sell my Intel PowerBook (OSX) when I had Ubuntu doing all I wanted it too. I figured it would take a month or two. It took a week. :P Partially because I had selected hardware that I knew would play well with Linux, but partly because of many of the improvements since Jaunty came out.

First: What do you do on your Windows machine that makes your computer a critical asset to you? Excel, programing, Minitab, Matlab?? Shoot them out and let's see.

Thing #2. It seems that the kernal in Jaunty, while recognizing most wireless cards and accepting them, needs a little TLC to get the full potential. Try putting your detailed hardware specs on the 'wireless & networking' forum and see what you can do.

As for the start up time, beats me man. Shoot out your specs and get some of these coffe-drinking ubuntu beans to put their noggins on it... :KS