PDA

View Full Version : why does this not exist

cmay
September 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I was thinking of that when you have a debugger for bugs why can you not have a unborker for those who bork their systems.

. I am sure that many people could have a use for such invention and that if it was made userfriendly with a gui version and a cli version it would be a great tool that most people would love to have in their linux toolbox.

what do you think.?

Warpnow
September 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
They call it a livecd.

Biochem
September 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Isn't that called a backup?

mcduck
September 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking of that when you have a debugger for bugs why can you not have a unborker for those who bork their systems.

. I am sure that many people could have a use for such invention and that if it was made userfriendly with a gui version and a cli version it would be a great tool that most people would love to have in their linux toolbox.

what do you think.?

I think you have a bit strange idea about what a debugger is. :)

They are not programs that remove bugs. They only help developers to fix the bugs by telling information about what location in the program the crash happened, and reporting data from different variables at the time. It's still up to the developer to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

Based on that your "debunker" would pretty much be the log files. They tell you what's wrong so you can fix it.

(I'm sure there would be hundreds of thousands of very happy programmers if somebody actually invented a debugger that would fix the bugs for you.. :D)

cmay
September 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I was just joking around with the play on the words 'debugger 'and "unborker "... I am aware that a debugger does not remove bugs in a magical fashion. :)

The Toxic Mite
September 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM

what do you think.?

That is the STUPIDEST QUESTION I have ever read... :|

cmay
September 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Am I really the only one that thinks this was very funny :)

Sean Moran
September 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Am I really the only one that thinks this was very funny :)

I almost got it, but before I could stop myself I took off into serious techie sort of thoughts and the humour escaped me, but it did rate a quick visual before I got sidetracked.

An "unborker" ? I can think of a few possible solutions, but nothing all that user-friendly. :)

cmay
September 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I think as a commandline app it is user friendly. as example this new command

sudo unbork --ALL

ibuclaw
September 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Union Filesystems are good for this... (requires patching/compiling kernel)

If you bork your system, just reboot and all changes are reverted back to what it was before you mounted the filesystem(s) over your main partitions.

I've been doing this alot with upgrading to Karmic without any persistent/physical upgrade happening. :)

Regards
Iain

MasterNetra
September 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
sudo rm bork

and its gone. :p

cmay
September 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
sudo rm bork

and its gone. :p

This advise should be stickied....imagine all the time and troubles saved :)

Simian Man
September 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
alias unbork='rm -rf /'

cmay
September 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I actually found a piece of code on googlecode search that uses an unborker.
full source here.
http://code.google.com/p/gmail2-for-opera/source/browse/trunk/gmail2-for-opera/gmail_2.0.js?spec=svn2&r=2

code fragment here.

var cmFix = new Fix('_MD_Prepare("cm")');
cmFix.addUnborker(fixRichTextBrowserBlocking, fixRichTextFontSize);

var eFix = new Fix('_MD_Prepare("e")');
eFix.addUnborker(fixGetSelectionParentElement, fixHilite, fixQuote);

var evalFixes = new Fixes();
evalFixes.addFix(cmFix, eFix);

window.eval = function(str) {
str = evalFixes.unbork(str);

so it seem like unborkers are invented already .....................

3rdalbum
September 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I was actually going to write a utility called "Seconds From Disaster" that keeps very detailed logs of the exact state of your computer at all times, so if you have a full kernel panic you can see what happened straight before.