PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Looking for rugged laptop

pwc
September 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for a somewhat rugged laptop that will be used on a cruising boat.
I'd like at least a 15 inch, any suggestion on S76 models. I can't tell by pictures on web site.

Thanks, pwc

jml
September 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I don't have any experience with the 15 inch models, but I can say that the three laptops I have purchased from S76, (10 inch Starling, 12 inch 3rd generation Darter, 13 inch 1st generation Darter) are all very solidly built. They obviously do not have the specifications of rugidized laptops like the Panasonic Tough Books, but are more than able to survive in my back pack as I carry it from site to site. Hopefully owners of 15 inch models will weigh in as well.

Joe

thomasaaron
September 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The Serval is definitely a rugged, well-built laptop.

zitch
September 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I have a Serval (15" screen), and it does feel like a much more solidly built laptop than the Dell laptop I had previously. That said, I'd say it's far from "rugged" in the Panasonic Toughbook sense, like it's not water-proof at all (any more waterproof than the average laptop, that is). And I wouldn't want to drop it at all (ok, it might survive more than a few inches to a ceramic tile floor, but I don't want to test that... :p ). But it easily survives the trip everyday between home and the office. And it held up just fine on the occasional road trip. I usually work with it on a desk (office or home) or on my lap in a recliner (at home). I've had the Serval for 6 months now and haven't even had a scratch on it. The Serval is rather heavy and probably would have gotten a lighter laptop or netbook if I was constantly bringing it around to more places. As it is, it is perfect for my needs as it's almost always used in only two places that are setup for it.

You should probably put more details of the environment of where it'll be used. I can't imagine this when you say "cruising boat" other than ocean spray, and I'd definitely keep any laptop out of those!

pwc
September 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hey, thanks for the input, I've been away for couple of days. This is what I was hoping to here. Also, the laptops by CyberPower look hardy and are made with quality components, and with very nice price. I'll keep following the post till I decide.

Thanks to all again, pwc

xakh
October 2nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
My pangolin is in for repairs right now, but it's been far more places than I want to tell. I've had it on a cruise ship, had it in a small tropical storm in Mexico, a drizzle in Switzerland, the humid heat of Texas, and has been dragged all over the place in between. Thing held up like a champ.

Bearded-flower
October 2nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
i know you said 15" but my MSI U100 netbook (10") is really well built and strong, i have it with me everywere i go (no special laptop bag or nothing) i skate, bail, fail, fall ontop of it everyday. its completley fine. its over a year old and still kicking.

PabloH
October 10th, 2009, 05:08 AM
If this is a small vessel, I would consider a SSD HD no matter what route you go. They are expensive, but a spinning HD is not going to last long when you are bucking waves in a watercraft.