PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Considering Purchasing a LaptopConnect from ATT

olyander562
September 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Good day all,

I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone connected to the ATT wireless internet using a LapTopConnect usb version from ATT?

2. Are there some basic programs/drivers I need prior to installing. Currently I use Wicd for my wireless nic, but this nic will not be used, the LapTopConnect usb will be used.

3. Related, will I be able to use Wicd for local net access, and distinguish usage from my LapTopConnect card? Such as using a different program, of which I do not know what that is yet, please suggest.

Note: the laptopconnect uses a cellular site to access a payed data account via ATT - my cell phone provider currently.

Also I do not wish to use my cheap low grade phone to access the net, I prefer a LapTopConnect usb/device.

Basically, the goal is to have a usb wireless card purchased from ATT and pay for a data account and then use the cell sites to access the internet, which typically only works on Windows OS, and have it work on Ubuntu - 8.04 LTS desktop. The part# I gathered from the product package is #2002940, and is called simply: LapTopConnect. It us compatible with HSPA (850/1900/2100) Mhz, and GPRS/Edge (850/900/1800/1900) Mhz.

Also listed on package was the terms: usbconnect, and QuickSilver.

Current SetUp:

I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400. I hope this is enough info to start with, if not, I will provide any more info as well as pastebins if requested.

I have not purchased the card yet, I am doing research prior before signing up for a contract, thus wondering if anyone has had success yet, and could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time,

OlyAnder562

ionospheric
October 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I tried my AT&T 3G laptop connect card with Ubuntu today, for the first time. I was sceptical because I had read about other people having problems, and because under Windows, it requires its own software (not just a driver). To my surprise, it worked immediately, with a few mouse clicks! Ubuntu 9.04 recognized the USB device after I plugged it in, and took me through a few dialogs. It connects much faster than under Windows, and it is fast. So from my point of view, I can recommend it.

keller999
October 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I have a AT&T USBConnect Mercury that I just received today. Plugged it in, walked through the wizard, and was up and running in 30 seconds. Very smooth, much better than having to install the software in Windows.

This is on Ubuntu 9.10 using NetworkManager for configuration.

-Keller