PDA

View Full Version : No Picasa 3.5 for Linux

Ric_NYC
September 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM

The new version of Picasa also features an improved upload process that allows for greater control over which photos get uploaded and shared during importation from a camera.

Although Google released Picasa 3.0 for Linux, a company spokesperson said that version 3.5 is only being released for Mac and Windows due to low adoption of Picasa 3.0 among Linux users.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220100440

I don't get their Linux strategy.
Isn't Google launching a Linux-based OS?
No Picasa support for their own new OS?

Tibuda
September 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Picasa 3.0 uses wine. I wonder why it got a low adoption...

kellemes
September 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Personally I never found a better alternative, even though it's based on Wine.

This news sucks big-time!

Jesus_Valdez
September 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Where's your God now?

Arquis
September 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I am truly disappointed also.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Where's your God now?

it's the linux communities' fault they're moving in that direction. where's your support now?

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Honestly, it was wine powered, it was closed source, and I personally don't see the point. If it was for Linux, then why power it by wine. Lazy google devs. Honestly, it would be the same installing it on WINE.

Dragonbite
September 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
This sucks, because Picasa is great on Windows. F-Spot and Digikam are pretty good (Digikam > F-Spot) they are not quite as polished.

Maybe it's time to see if I can help F-Spot any (suggestions more than actual coding though there is a better chance I could contribute Mono code than anything else).

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Honestly! Picasa on Linux ran on Wine! This doesn't "suck". Just download WINE and Picasa for windows >.>

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Honestly! Picasa on Linux ran on Wine! This doesn't "suck". Just download WINE and Picasa for windows >.>

why download two if you can download one? sense much make?

Dragonbite
September 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM

I thought they had to modify it a bit to make it work in Wine.

bryncoles
September 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
*falls to knees*

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh right - the low adoption rates.

This is bad news for me too, as I really liked Picasa, wine or no wine. And indeed I was lead to believe that Google put in a lot of code for wine, off the back of this. It was win-win. I liked how trivially easy Picasa made adjusting my horizon lines, viewing my photographs, and all else.

Still, I suppose I'm motivated to find a proper native app now...

And beware - I see many times the argument that if proprietary app's (Photoshop, Microsoft Office, any game you care to mention) ran on linux, we'd soar in the popularity stakes. we might shoot ourselves in the foot through our low adoption rates.

I'm guessing this means sketch-up wont be coming to linux either...

*edit*

As I think about it, they didn't actually implement half the features from the windows version anyway in Linux. Screw you Google!

Tibuda
September 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
*falls to knees*

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh right - the low adoption rates.

Hold on. Look at Chromium. It has become a very popular browser in Linux (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/08/chromium-popularity-rising-on-ubuntu-gains-64-bit-support.ars), even in development stage. The same didn't happened with Picasa. Why?

jaxxstorm
September 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Is it just me that thinks F-Spot is much, much better than Picasa anyway?

northwestuntu
September 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Personally I never found a better alternative, even though it's based on Wine.

This news sucks big-time!

yeah no doubt it rocks even in wine. anyone know how to get it to import from your camera? never had any luck with that.

for organizing pictures i have never found anything as good.

northwestuntu
September 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

no way!!

nowin4me
September 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Where I can see it?

Thanks forgot to put it in my post http://picasa.google.co.uk/linux/

There!

EDIT: Something is wrong with my quoting...

Tibuda
September 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=
Although Google released Picasa 3.0 for Linux, a company spokesperson said that version 3.5 is only being released for Mac and Windows due to low adoption of Picasa 3.0 among Linux users./QUOTE]

Did any of you know they made a non wine version of Picasa 3.0 (a real Linux version) for Linux? It's currently in BETA though.

Doesn't mention anything about a non-WINEable version.

Where I can see it? The version at http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html#picasa30 says beta, but is wine-powered.

nowin4me
September 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Where I can see it?

There!

Mateo
September 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
it's no ones fault. not the users, not google. there's no point in a company making products for a handful of people. it doesn't make any business sense. Google is not a non-profit organization.

juancarlospaco
September 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Help developing BlueMarine...

JuanC
September 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Bad news.

I have installed Picasa 3 beta for Linux and i like so much.

Why Google don't support Linux with Picasa?

Although Google released Picasa 3.0 for Linux, a company spokesperson said that version 3.5 is only being released for Mac and Windows due to low adoption of Picasa 3.0 among Linux users.

I think they lie ...

bryncoles
September 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM

Lets find out... Setting up f-spot even as we speak! It's a little sad though, Picasa was what got my mum using Linux! I'll shed a tear!

steev182
September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
The bluemarine home page goes to a hosting company...

koleoptero
September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Well I still prefer using nautilus and my imagination.

Yes.

Help developing BlueMarine...

I bet they couldn't come up with a worse name for that, could they?

timjohn7
September 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I find Picasa superb! Even if it is wine-based and version 3.0, it rocks. Perhaps this community should provide some loud, positive feedback about how much we like Picasa to Google, rather than saying things like "Screw them" in this forum, which I'm sure they don't read anyway.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM

Most people will have WINE installed anyway.

SomeGuyDude
September 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I didn't use it because it was Wine'd. Made it unwieldy, to me.

timjohn7
September 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Umm... 2 other points:

1. Version 3.5 (Windows) runs fine in WINE.
2. The new features, GeoTagging, Face Recognition etc are not particularly useful for my needs. Obviously others may well need these features.

So let's not get too upset yet?

hewbert
September 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
I too am disappointed that there's no Picasa 3.5 for us. I haven't found anything that compares to it.

For what it's worth, I managed to get it to work just as Picasa 3 did - a little hackish.

- Download the 3.5 .exe and install with wine.
- Copy the entire ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Google/Picasa3/ directory to /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/

http://pub.hewbert.com/web/picasa35linux.resized.png (http://pub.hewbert.com/web/picasa35linux.png)

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I too am disappointed that there's no Picasa 3.5 for us. I haven't found anything that compares to it.

For what it's worth, I managed to get it to work just as Picasa 3 did - a little hackish.

- Copy the entire ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Google/Picasa3/ directory to /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/

http://pub.hewbert.com/web/picasa35linux.resized.png (http://pub.hewbert.com/web/picasa35linux.png)

*Golf Clap*

hewbert
September 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
*Golf Clap*

I'm sorry?

My point was - it's easy enough to put in place of Picasa 3.0, rather than running through the standard WINE environment.

I can see how your "golf clap" was beneficial to the topic, though.

dragos240
September 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry?

Just kidding. :P

Just wanted some confusion there.

speedwell68
September 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
I didn't like Picasa 3.0, I have 2.7 installed and I never use that, so it is not really a loss. Google seem to be a company that support the Linux community very well and if there wasn't the take up of 3.0 I can't really see why they would bother with developing it further.

Mateo
September 24th, 2009, 12:07 AM
face recognition is awesome, especially coupled with a google contacts account.

peterthinking
September 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
face recognition is awesome, especially coupled with a google contacts account.

I wonder if it would sort all my "Art" according to "Actress"

Does face recognition work if someone is lets say... eating a banana or blowing up a balloon?
:confused:

oldgeekster
September 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
This is hilarious - for those of you who "think" you installed a "native linux version of picasa" may I suggest you have a peek in the following directory?

/opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Picasa3

Note the word "wine" in that path???

Unless I am totally off-key - the whole effort was to make picasa wine API compliant so future Windows versions would also be wine API compliant. Several folks are already reporting it is working well.

Sheesh!

I am currently running The picasa 3.0 beta on a couple of ubuntu boxes quite happily and have every intention of installing version 3.5 - if y'all want to whine about wine, be my guest.

BTW - this is the ONLY non-open source software installed under ubuntu on any of my systems. Why? Because the wife and I *love* picasa as I am certain we will enjoy 3.5.

I'll probably try copying the files over to the original installation so I can continue to avoid having to go through the wine menu structure to get to it - but it will still be operating under wine.

See:
http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/09/picasa-35-linux-install.html

SomeGuyDude
September 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I'll probably try copying the files over to the original installation so I can continue to avoid having to go through the wine menu structure to get to it - but it will still be operating under wine.

Or you could do something totally crazy like create a shortcut that leads to it. Y'know, like "wine /path/to/it/picasa.exe"

Arup
September 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The problem is that those who have huge number of pics on Picasa account will be forced to use the older version as the only way to upload a pic to the account is via Picasa software.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I've never used it ._.

Is it good? :)

GMU_DodgyHodgy
September 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM
To be honest -the latest version of F-Spot is quite good. It is much faster and has more features - Not sure if the average user needs more.

F-Spot integrates with online photo site too.

HappinessNow
September 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
This sucks, because Picasa is great on Windows. F-Spot and Digikam are pretty good (Digikam > F-Spot) they are not quite as polished.

Maybe it's time to see if I can help F-Spot any (suggestions more than actual coding though there is a better chance I could contribute Mono code than anything else).Try Raw Therapee.

(http://www.rawtherapee.com/)

NormanFLinux
September 24th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Have no problems installing Picasa 3.5 and running it under WINE. The weird thing is its says a build for Linux! :lolflag:

koshatnik
September 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Just you. F-Spot is abysmal. :)

AlanRick
September 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I don't like F-Spot either.
and...

Ditto - I'm really curious if Chrome OS will rely on F-Spot. If so, my future netbook would be Windows-based and not Chrome.
Wine is a reasonable alternative for a pc, but not for a netbook where IMHO the photo-viewer provided is more important than the OS installed.

Tibuda
September 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM

There!

That is wined.

khelben1979
September 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Picasa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa#Linux) is one application which I truly appreciate. I can live without the new features which they've announced, I'll just keep on using the older version just as before.

Let's hope that 4.0 will get done for Linux then.

dasunst3r
September 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Like many of you, the barrier to adoption for me is that Picasa runs on WINE. If Picasa were a native program, I would've considered using it a couple years ago. Now it's too late -- I'm using F-Spot.

Dragonbite
September 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well I still prefer using nautilus and my imagination.

Could try gThumbs too.

What I really want, and it really doesn't matter what does it, is ease in managing my albums on the local (or networked) drive *AND* the web (without having to put ALL of it up on the web).

On one of my machines, when F-Spot was installed, every time I tried to open a directory (any directory) it tried to open it up with F-Spot. Don't know what was happening there!

wersdaluv
September 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Disappointed. I use Picasa on Ubuntu and I'm loving it. Or... I _was_ loving it

khelben1979
September 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
What I really want, and it really doesn't matter what does it, is ease in managing my albums on the local (or networked) drive *AND* the web (without having to put ALL of it up on the web).

A.f.a.i.k. you should be able to do this with Picasa. You have the possibility with each album to choose whether you want them online or not.

bichopro
September 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Howto Install Picasa 3.5 in ubuntu (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-picasa-3-5-in-ubuntu.html)

linusr
September 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
hate running applications in wine!

timjohn7
September 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
hate running applications in wine!

In general, I agree with you, but I must confess that I did not know that Picasa was running (for about a year) with wine until very recently. It is seamless, fast and intuitive.

timjohn7
September 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Time for a reassessment I think... I've just installed the latest version of digikam and I think I may be saying goodbye to Picasa.
Digikam is polished, native and feature-rich. It includes an extensive set of editing tools, very impressive documentation, geotagging and uploading tools (including uploading to a Picasa Web Galleries!)
Mmm... this humble pie tastes great!

Michael.Godawski
September 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Time for a reassessment I think... I've just installed the latest version of digikam and I think I may be saying goodbye to Picasa.
Digikam is polished, native and feature-rich. It includes an extensive set of editing tools, very impressive documentation, geotagging and uploading tools (including uploading to a Picasa Web Galleries!)

+1
I also switched completely to digikam.

sigurnjak
September 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I just did little experiment with Picasa and this is the result .
I installed Picas for XP via vine , copied Picasa3 program files from wine folder into Picasa3 folder in /opt , uninstalled it from wine and fired up same Picasa3 icon in my panel . Now I got Picasa 3.5 in Linux .

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM

I've been looking at doing that, but I haven't had much luck with cross-desktop environment applications (KDE apps look funny in Gnome, vice-verse). Plus all those added dependencies.

Is the Digikam the version for KDE 3 or KDE 4, and how much extra did it have to pull in?

dumas33
September 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I installed picasa 3.5 according instruction successfully. But geotaging does not work. Picasa freeze during loading of map. Does anyone have this problem to? Any ideas to solve?

AlanRick
September 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Ubuntu at it's best :guitar:
Add new program -> graphic filter - select digikam
(no googling etc.. and a few seconds later it's installed)
:)

I don't have a clue whether it's kde 3/4 or gnome and I couldn't care less either - it simply works.

As to digikam - it's okay but not a patch on picasa.
(Can't work out how to get a view of all photos independent of folder/date... even when "include subfolders" is selected)

Still, seeing as even picasa 3.0 reboots or freezes ubuntu (now and then) I'll certainly give digikam a try.
Alan

mhenriday
September 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I have Picasa 3.1.0 installed on my Jaunty setup and am very pleased with it ; for this very reason I was particularly distressed to hear that the 3.5 version would not be made available to us Linux users. I checked on the web and found that in the event I installed Wine (which I can do directly from the repositories using Synaptic), I should be able to download the Picasa35-setup.exe file, install it in Wine, copy the installed programme («/home/[my user name]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Picasa3») to «/opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Picasa3», and then be home free. Installation of Wine from Synaptic and downloading of the Picasa .exe file go fine, but when I double-click the latter in the FF download manager, I get a message telling me that the link needs to be opened with a programme, and the only Wine programme I can find when I browse is «wine_date_and_time.cpp», which doesn’t cut the mustard. Wine does seem to have been installed properly ; I can see /home/[my user name]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files, but no /Google/Picasa3 thereunder. Nor do I find any «/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Picasa3» under «/opt/google/picasa/3.0». Any suggestions as to how can I get the Picasa .exe file to install under Wine ? I've never previousl attempted to install anything to Wine, so I should greatly appreciate detailed, step-by-step instructions…

Henri

speedwell68
September 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-picasa-3-5-in-ubuntu.html

richrosa
September 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I installed Picasa 3.5 under Wine. Everything seems to work fine except or printing, which gives me photos with highly skewed images. Anyone else?

rubax
September 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I must say I love Picasa, and it is a must have application in my world. However, I would really like to use it for geo-tagging some photos as well. Did anybody make the 'places' side panel with Google Maps work? When I have tried to activate it Picasa freezes :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's a post about the problem at this Google group as well:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-labs-picasa-for-linux/browse_thread/thread/232e3b30e82c4256

mhenriday
October 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-picasa-3-5-in-ubuntu.html

Speedwell68, I had consulted that web page prior to posting to this thread, but found nothing there related to my specific problem, which dealt with finding a programme with which to install the downloaded Windows version of Picasa 3.5 to Wine. In the end, however, a prompt turned up which allowed me to install the .exe file to my .wine folder. I then found that I could start it via «/home/[my user name]/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/Google/Picasa3/Picasa3.exe», in this way preserving 3.1 (in Swedish, which I access via «/opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/picasa») on my 64-bit Ubuntu Jaunty setup, while also being able to access 3.5 (in English). Alls well that ends well ! The strange thing is that when I check the version, I see the following :

Picasa Version 3.5.0 (Build 79.6700, 0) for Linux
Thus I find myself confused at a higher level - does that «for Linux» mean that our friends at Google have, in fact, released a version (even if Wine-based) for us Linux users ? The original rationale for not releasing a version for Linux was that the rate of Picasa adoption is low among Linux users, which sounds rather strange to me ; I'd very much like to see some evidence to back up this assertion....

Henri

AlanRick
October 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Same here. I wonder if that "For Linux" part is generated.

Mine still crashes about every tenth mouse click so the generated error messages that it sends google keep them aware that Linux Picasa users do exist. ):P

mhenriday
October 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Interesting, Alan ; as yet, I haven't encountered any problems with Picasa 3.5 crashing. Do you see any error messages ?...

Henri

AlanRick
October 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
No error messages. Usually the screen freezes (mouse frozen, keyboard lights flash) and I have to switch off the pc and reboot.

Sometimes the picasa window simply disappears (and when I return the name-tags or edits that I'd performed have gone).

Ocasionally Ubuntu restarts the session (without rebooting).

I've tried switching off the proprietry nvidia driver but that didn't help.

BTW: I'm now wondering if there's an outside chance that hardware is to blame because firefox sometimes disappears (message "segmentation fault" if I'd started ff from the terminal). However ff never freezes Ubuntu so I think it is to do with Picasa.

grenness
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Did anybody make the 'places' side panel with Google Maps work? When I have tried to activate it Picasa freezes :-(

My Picasa 3.5 freezes as well when trying to pull up maps/locations.
The big problem is that when I kill the Picasa process, then start it again, it tries to enable the map sidebar automatically and freezes.
Arrrgh!

Ubuntu 9.04 64bit

linusr
October 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
moved to f-spot after trying picasa 3.5 under wine

hope there will be an native picasa client as Chrome OS is based on linux or better offline web client with chrome/gears

linusr
October 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
moved to f-spot after trying picasa 3.5 under wine

hope there will be an native picasa client as Chrome OS is based on linux or better offline web client with chrome/gears

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
What I really wish they could do, Picasa, DigiKam, F-Spot, etc., is to work both-ways with my Picasa web album; download, sync and/or auto-sync the local copy with the online album.

So far, I only see the ability to Import into the Picasaweb album and I don't even know if it will sync.

Does 3.5 include this feature, and does it work? It does for Windows but not sure if that will still work over Wine.

linusr
October 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
What I really wish they could do, Picasa, DigiKam, F-Spot, etc., is to work both-ways with my Picasa web album; download, sync and/or auto-sync the local copy with the online album.

So far, I only see the ability to Import into the Picasaweb album and I don't even know if it will sync.

Does 3.5 include this feature, and does it work? It does for Windows but not sure if that will still work over Wine.

I uploaded an album to web from picasa 3.5 in linux but when I enable sync it hanged. And name tags makes CPU busy and hot in linux than in windows

so I booted into windows and tried to sync the same album but now picasa wants to upload the album again..

mhenriday
October 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Generally speaking the Wine version is working very well for me on 64-bit Karmic beta, with the single exception of the geotagging feature - nothing happens when I attempt to implement it. Anyone else encountered the same problem ?...

Henri

medya
October 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM
does anyone have any news about if they are working on Picassa 3.5 for linux or not ?

damnidunno
November 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I don't get it.

I thought google was developing Chrome OS, which is based on linux?
Therefore shouldn't they be aiming at creating linux versions of all of their programs?

Im lost :|

i am loving ubuntu 9.10, but damn, its so hard to find quality software. I can find lower quality programs to help do some of what my windows programs do, but none equivalent or above.

Praxicoide
November 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I don't get it.

I thought google was developing Chrome OS, which is based on linux?
Therefore shouldn't they be aiming at creating linux versions of all of their programs?

Im lost :|

They should, but don't. Not right away, at least. Just like with Chrome and Googletalk, we get relegated until the end; too small a userbase, I guess. Annoying to say the least.

i am loving ubuntu 9.10, but damn, its so hard to find quality software. I can find lower quality programs to help do some of what my windows programs do, but none equivalent or above.

I might agree on photo management, but not overall.

bigbrovar
November 4th, 2009, 07:13 AM
This is just one of the reasons why I have never been "Oh port X closed source application to Linux" camp" as always the case when something like this happens the Linux port is always unmaintained and left behind compared to the windows version (looking at skype, Picasa, Nero, to mention a few) We have tons of photo management applications (I personally use digikam and its awesome) Why not work with free and open source tools available, yes the ones that takes us as first class citizens. The ones that have open bug and feature request system that allows us to give feedbacks, yeah that one. why not work with them to make their offering even more kickass rather and witch and moan when your favorite windows focussed X proprietary application lets u down as usual. Just my 2 cents

matt5596
November 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
What are the current issues with the version available from Google?

sudo dpkg -i /tmp/picasa_2.7.3736-15_i386.deb

Why are some folks running Picasa under wine? Just trying to understand the issues before installing.

thanks!

megamania
November 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM
What are the current issues with the version available from Google?

sudo dpkg -i /tmp/picasa_2.7.3736-15_i386.deb

Why are some folks running Picasa under wine? Just trying to understand the issues before installing.

The latest "linux" version available on the google website is 3.0.

Besides that, even the official linux version runs under wine - it's not a native application.

mwalimu54
November 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
oh help and bother. Even if it is closed source, Picasa busts the competition.

megamania
November 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
oh help and bother. Even if it is closed source, Picasa busts the competition.
And?

I just replied to the poster's request for clarifications.

mhenriday
December 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm running Picasa 3.6.0 (Build 95.1800, 0) on Wine on my 64-bit Karmic box and find that most features work well. Checking on Synaptic, I discover that a later version of Wine, 1, 2 (1.1.31-0Ubuntu3), is available there to replace the version - 1.0.1-0Ubuntu8 - presently installed. If I choose to install the later version, will that mean that I have to re-install Picasa 3.6, or will the latter be carried over to the new version of Wine ?...

Henri

petur
February 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
FYI, picasa 3.5 runs fine here with the newer wine....

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Where's your God now?

Awesome, awesome post.

I like the idea of Picassa, I think it's brilliant, but the interface was clunky and ugly and unimpressive, I want something like Flickr (the pro version), but offline (and of course with more clicky draggy options etc.), with the option to sync bits

I still find the best thing for loading pictures is just the ordinary file browser thingy.

Gallahhad
February 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Good tip, Thanks.

ctrlmd
February 27th, 2010, 11:08 PM
they didn't even make a effort to provide a real version for linux
i don't need it anyway

Queue29
February 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
i don't need it anyway

That's the spirit! :KS

mhenriday
March 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
As a response to my own query of 17 December, I can mention that I installed Wine 1.2 (1.1.31-0Ubuntu3) without any problems. I have now updated Picasa to version 3.0.7081-01 (which allows us to select other languages than as the default from a list of 38), which also works like a charm. It would certainly be nice if Google still provided a simple download for Picasa for Linux as it did previously, but for us users, this is hardly essential - just install Wine and download the latest Windows version of Picasa....

Henri

alket
March 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220100440

Low adoption ? Yes of course , is wine-based.

DownTown22
March 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Well, it sucks that they're not "directly" supporting linux, but as many people have posted here, 3.5 seems to work fine under Wine - which all the previous versions were doing, they were just coming with their own version of Wine.

For all of those who really like Picasa, I say stick with it, it's awesome. But if you don't need all those features and are anti-running programs on Wine, then you should really give the latest F-spot a go, or digiKam.

digiKam basically blows F-spot out of the water...but then the whole "I don't want that many KDE dependencies on my Gnome install" and "KDE programs look funny on Gnome". Really, F-spot pales in comparison to digiKam. I think the F-spot developers should kick it into high gear, as they have the perfect opportunity to make an even better program for us Gnome lovers!

Johnsie
March 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
another reason to stick with Windows. No hacking around to get stuff like this to work or having to look for an alternative which isn't quite as good.

DownTown22
March 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
another reason to stick with Windows. No hacking around to get stuff like this to work or having to look for an alternative which isn't quite as good.

What hacking?

mhenriday
March 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Well, Johnsie, let us hope that you never open one of the many websites and fora on which Windows users request help ; otherwise you may come to regret your remarks about «an alternative which isn't quite as good»....

Henri

dmn_clown
March 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Picasa busts the competition.

Not quite, as stripped down image editors go Picasa is the worst one I've ever used, the stripped-down web version of Photoshop is better.

As far as its image file organization goes, Picasa was more annoying than manually organizing image files.

Basically Picasa is useless for anything but uploading photographs to PicasWeb, which I don't use. Wine doesn't really enter into the equation of Picasa's usefulness or lack thereof.

See, opinions are fun!

gymophett
March 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Not quite, as stripped down image editors go Picasa is the worst one I've ever used, the stripped-down web version of Photoshop is better.

As far as its image file organization goes, Picasa was more annoying than manually organizing image files.

Basically Picasa is useless for anything but uploading photographs to PicasWeb, which I don't use. Wine doesn't really enter into the equation of Picasa's usefulness or lack thereof.

See, opinions are fun!

I didn't find Picasa all too fantastic either.
Digikam rocks, but I wish it was more suitable for Gnome.

JuanC
March 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I hope Google package Picasa 3.6 for Linux.

I think that stupid thing is install Picasa 3.0 (beta) for Linux from picasa.google.com and then download Picasa 3.6 for Windows, install with Wine and then copy into the same folder ... to get Picasa 3.6 for Linux.

Why not Google package Picasa 3.6 for Linux?

Psumi
March 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I don't use photo management apps anyway.

koleoptero
March 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have to say, at this point, gthumb beta ftw.

oldfred
March 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
My wife likes Picasa, so I installed ver 3.6 into wine.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-picasa-3-5-in-ubuntu.html#more-2019

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/09/picasa-35-linux-install.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1385837
From my history:

114 wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks

115 sudo wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks

116 sudo chmod 777 winetricks

117 sudo apt-get install cabextract wine wine-gecko

118 winetricks allfonts fontsmooth-rgb gecko allfonts

Then download picasa for windows
(http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa36-setup.exe (http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa35-setup.exe))
run it, and the installer should start.

rename to picasa and move to wine programs

sigurnjak
March 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM
My wife and me have switched to this :
http://intipunku.berlios.de/drupal/

It is quite good for us .

oimon
April 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
picasa fans should also keep an eye on shotwell ( http://yorba.org/shotwell/ ) . Seems to be the most similar UI to picasa that i have seen, and is also a native gtk app. Fedora are using it by default in F13.

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
picasa fans should also keep an eye on shotwell ( http://yorba.org/shotwell/ ) . Seems to be the most similar UI to picasa that i have seen, and is also a native gtk app. Fedora are using it by default in F13.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm hoping it grows into something really good, even to replace F-Spot (which is good, but a little bit heavy and could be better).